Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided I'm going to supercharge the 3.6L. Why? Because I think it would be hilarious for a V6 motor to blow away the unsuspecting competition.
That being said-
What EXACTLY needs to be done to accomplish this? Do I need to get A, B and C installed, before installing the supercharger? Keep in mind right now, the car is stock.
Do I need to put a CAI, a tuner, an exhaust etc into it before I put a supercharger in it?

Anyone here who has actually gone through with a supercharger, I'd love to hear your story regarding the whole thing! Thanks

·
Registered
12,278 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've sent that guy a message. But I'm not exactly trying to make the fastest v6 challenger haha. I simply want a supercharger. Just need to know how to go about doing it. I hope I don't need to replace everything under the hood to do it. I was hoping its as simple as buying the supercharger, having a shop install it, and done.

·
Registered
209 Posts
All you should need is just a tuner. The SC i got replaces the CAI so no need to get a new one of those, porting the TB or Intake is not needed, nor is an aftermarket exhaust or hood. A catch can and boost gauge was recommended but also came with the SC.

There are things you could get that would help benefit the SC but are not needed. Things like Meth Injection, an Air Fuel Ratio gauge, or even new gears.

The SC really is as easy as buying it, having a shop install it, and done!

Reactions: Dan Harman

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All you should need is just a tuner. The SC i got replaces the CAI so no need to get a new one of those, porting the TB or Intake is not needed, nor is an aftermarket exhaust or hood. A catch can and boost gauge was recommended but also came with the SC.

There are things you could get that would help benefit the SC but are not needed. Things like Meth Injection, an Air Fuel Ratio gauge, or even new gears.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear! So I know what to save for, what to aim for. Just need to buy the supercharger, go down to my local shop and have them install it. Done! Can't wait

·
Banned
473 Posts

By the way, did you ever post pics after your install? A lot of folks might be interested. Cheers.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Recommend you get the air fuel ratio gauge. You want to know if the AFR goes lean especially at WOT. I'd recommend an AFR gauge over the boost gauge.
Tidalwave is offering a supercharger with a tune. I would assume they taken care of everything, right? Do you think the AFR gauge will still be needed?

·
Banned
473 Posts
Another one blown!

I just spent the day doing the install on the Tidalwave 5psi kit. So far, so good! I've still got some final adjustments to make, but it's running stable, and the power gain is a real kick in the pants. I was missing a silicone joiner, so haven't plugged in my AIT sensor yet, I have it hanging free under the hood scoop, so my tune is not going to be acting perfect. Anyway I'll get that done this week and will then be able to do some more accurate testing. It's strong enough down low, but when the rpm approaches 4 grand, it feels like a jet taking off. The only testing I had time for was a couple of 0-60 runs, but I already did a 5.4 which is over a second off what I normally do. I also got a 7psi pulley when I ordered the kit, so once I feel comfortable with the setup, I'm going to take it up to the next level. I'm already set up for an A/W intercooler, so I'll be adding that on when I get time. Here's a few quick cell phone pics for any interested.

:smileup:

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
I just spent the day doing the install on the Tidalwave 5psi kit. So far, so good! I've still got some final adjustments to make, but it's running stable, and the power gain is a real kick in the pants. I was missing a silicone joiner, so haven't plugged in my AIT sensor yet, I have it hanging free under the hood scoop, so my tune is not going to be acting perfect. Anyway I'll get that done this week and will then be able to do some more accurate testing. It's strong enough down low, but when the rpm approaches 4 grand, it feels like a jet taking off. The only testing I had time for was a couple of 0-60 runs, but I already did a 5.4 which is over a second off what I normally do. I also got a 7psi pulley when I ordered the kit, so once I feel comfortable with the setup, I'm going to take it up to the next level. I'm already set up for an A/W intercooler, so I'll be adding that on when I get time. Here's a few quick cell phone pics for any interested.

:smileup:
That is some neat work! :rep:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Holly ...! Beas62, it looks fantastic! Oh, how I envy you. :)
Did you do the install yourself? If so, how hard was it? Can an Average Joe (like me) do it?

And of course, :rep:
Great stuff; shows the love for the car :smileup:

·
Banned
473 Posts

·
Banned
473 Posts
Holly ...! Beas62, it looks fantastic! Oh, how I envy you. :)
Did you do the install yourself? If so, how hard was it? Can an Average Joe (like me) do it?

And of course, :rep:
Great stuff; shows the love for the car :smileup:
Thanks guys! @Vessago: I did it myself. I think anyone who can change a water pump or other shade tree mechanic stuff would feel comfortable. Tim provided pictures and some instructions. Probably the trickiest part is swapping out the injectors since it takes removing the upper intake.

Cheers,
Jerry

·
Banned
473 Posts
Looks awesome, any plans on a dyno?
Hey Peter, I do plan to do a dyno with the 7lb setup at least. I might be able to do both, but dyno time is expensive, so it'll depend on scheduling and how flexible the shop is. It's just a pully change and a tune, so the hard work is already done.

I plan to get used to the 5lb setup first, do more data logs, and make sure everything is working well, then I'll pop in the 7lb. On my first run, I got some isolated knock retard, but that was on questionable gas. Once I up the boost, it'll be more critical to make sure octane and temps are in line. - Jerry

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm pleased to announce that thanks to tax refund and careful saving, I definitely have enough money now to purchase the Supercharger!!!

Will be emailing Tim soon, can't wait to place the order! And then its about a 4-5 week estimated shipping time. After that, I will probably have my local dyno/tuning shop (Granite State Dyno and Tune) do the install. I have went back and forth over and over in my head on where I should have it done, or should I do it myself... and every time I land on "let the professionals do it, and not have to worry about a thing" so I think I will.

I'll be doing before and after dyno numbers, pictures, videos, everything WILL be coming for you guys when its all said and done. I know you'll all be just as curious as me!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm pleased to announce that thanks to tax refund and careful saving, I definitely have enough money now to purchase the Supercharger!!!

Will be emailing Tim soon, can't wait to place the order! And then its about a 4-5 week estimated shipping time. After that, I will probably have my local dyno/tuning shop (Granite State Dyno and Tune) do the install. I have went back and forth over and over in my head on where I should have it done, or should I do it myself... and every time I land on "let the professionals do it, and not have to worry about a thing" so I think I will.

I'll be doing before and after dyno numbers, pictures, videos, everything WILL be coming for you guys when its all said and done. I know you'll all be just as curious as me!
Congratulations on your supercharger! :pepper::head3:

Man, I am also counting on my tax refund covering a part of the purchase. Already got a green light from my Better Half. :D

I am guessing you are not getting the tune from Tim. Do you think your shop can tune it better than Tidalwave? Or is it cheaper?

1 - 20 of 408 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.