Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,779 Posts
I was figuring final cost to the buyer (taxes and the extra crap they always come up with), plus I would get the 7 yr / 100k maxcare warranty, and that's another 2 grand I think.
The Scat Pack with the Procharger installed I posted a pic of "lists" for $77K. That includes a sticker price of just over $60,000 for the car and another $16K+ for the Procharger.

My (Challenger) 2018 Hellcat listed for $69K. While I didn't want one I probably could have found a Charger Hellcat in this same price range. Even today one can have a (admittedly pretty bare bones optioned) Hellcat for under $60K if the prices posted at for example Koons are real prices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Scat Pack with the Procharger installed I posted a pic of "lists" for $77K. That includes a sticker price of just over $60,000 for the car and another $16K+ for the Procharger.

My (Challenger) 2018 Hellcat listed for $69K. While I didn't want one I probably could have found a Charger Hellcat in this same price range. Even today one can have a (admittedly pretty bare bones optioned) Hellcat for under $60K if the prices posted at for example Koons are real prices.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My advice after supercharging my SXT to 512 RWHP is to

upgrade to a Hellcat. If I would have saved the $$ I put into properly supercharging and tuning mine, along with the support pieces, I could have upgraded to a Scat Pack at the very least.

Reactions: Dannyboy72

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
961 Posts
Why on Earth would you do this and not just buy a Hellcat or trade in for a Hellcat to begin with?
After putting a Whipple on my R/T, I just picked it up yesterday, do it! It's fairly cheap, with my other mods it came to just over 14k this year and, I have no car payment. 14k cash or 70k in a loan, real easy choice.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Why on Earth would you do this and not just buy a Hellcat or trade in for a Hellcat to begin with?
You can get a new scatpack for around $40k. You can add a Hellion Twin turbo kit for around $9k, and make 610 rwhp at 5-6 psi. that would make you just as fast as a hellcat for $20k-$25k less. You are voiding your warranty, and will probably start breaking other things down the road, but its still way cheaper.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can get a new scatpack for around $40k. You can add a Hellion Twin turbo kit for around $9k, and make 610 rwhp at 5-6 psi. that would make you just as fast as a hellcat for $20k-$25k less. You are voiding your warranty, and will probably start breaking other things down the road, but its still way cheaper.
Does a 6.4 come with a steel crank, forged rods, forged pistons? Is the ring gap proper for a forced induction engine? How about the tune? Half the time these ‘toners’ get it wrong.
Does the 5.7/6.4 have the same transmission as the 6.2?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
961 Posts
A hellcat can be bought in the 50’s.
If you want someone else's junk. Buy new or not at all. I'd rather have a neon that I bought new than a used, well any car except a Drag Pack as that is the only way I am ever going to get a Drag Pack is to get a retired one. Even my R/T, which I love, if it winds up on a car lot it is just my junk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you want someone else's junk. Buy new or not at all. I'd rather have a neon that I bought new than a used, well any car except a Drag Pack as that is the only way I am ever going to get a Drag Pack is to get a retired one. Even my R/T, which I love, if it winds up on a car lot it is just my junk.
Rydell has a brand new loaded out 2020 asking 63k on their website right now. I think I’d rather pay the 63 vs 45-55 for a scat and then add another 10ish for a blower. Get one set up right from the factory vs throwing parts at a car and hope its right.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does a 6.4 come with a steel crank, forged rods, forged pistons? Is the ring gap proper for a forced induction engine? How about the tune? Half the time these ‘toners’ get it wrong.
That is why I said 5-6 pounds of boost. plenty of stock 6.4's handling 5-6 pounds of boost as long as you tune it correctly. If you forge it, you can add more boost and make over 950 RWHP. But if you are going to spend the money to forge the 6.4, upgrade the transmission, upgrade driveshaft and axles, and all supporting mods, then at that point, it would be better to just buy the Hellcat. But if you want to spend way less money, and be just as fast as a hellcat, then the first option works. Hopefully, this answers your question as to why on earth anyone would do it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rydell has a brand new loaded out 2020 asking 63k on their website right now. I think I’d rather pay the 63 vs 45-55 for a scat and then add another 10ish for a blower. Get one set up right from the factory vs throwing parts at a car and hope its right.
Go ahead and call that dealership, and I would bet almost anything that you will not get a fully loaded Hellcat for 63K. its click bait. or the old " oh damn we just sold it" trick . LOL

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts

New hellcats could be had for 50k if you look, but now, the same dealer that had them for that is putting a 5k market adjustment on them, so they are selling them over MSRP.

·
Registered
139 Posts
6.4 has a steel crank but the rods and pistons are not ideal for boost. The pistons may live longer if you open up the gaps a tad but if you’re tearing down the engine to that point you might as well do some drop in rods and pistons. I’m running a Magnuson at 4.5 lbs and had Sean at Hemifever do the tuning. The car is a freaking blast to drive and if it was going to blow up I’m sure it would have happened by now. I’m kicking around the idea of maybe swapping in a smaller pulley and going to 6lbs, but I might be playing with fire at that point. Putting a blower on the Scat made sense for me because the car is paid for and I just happened to have a blower sitting on the bench in the garage taking up space. I paid $31k for the car with 15k miles, so yeah, way cheaper than a hellcat, and I have the satisfaction of knowing I built unique car. As for transmissions, the 6.2 version of the auto is definitely beefed up. The manual has different ratios and may have larger bearings, not absolutely sure about the bearings. I believe the manual also has a higher capacity clutch.

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
20 Posts
I was figuring final cost to the buyer (taxes and the extra crap they always come up with), plus I would get the 7 yr / 100k maxcare warranty, and that's another 2 grand I think.
You're not going to be able to put MaxCare on a modified vehicle like that. If the dealer has the balls to sell you MaxCare, the first time you try to put in a warranty claim it will get voided, plus the car will get red flagged. If you want to Mod the car, by all means do it, just don't expect the warranty to remain in force.

·
Registered
209 Posts
6.4 has a steel crank but the rods and pistons are not ideal for boost. The pistons may live longer if you open up the gaps a tad but if you’re tearing down the engine to that point you might as well do some drop in rods and pistons. I’m running a Magnuson at 4.5 lbs and had Sean at Hemifever do the tuning. The car is a freaking blast to drive and if it was going to blow up I’m sure it would have happened by now. I’m kicking around the idea of maybe swapping in a smaller pulley and going to 6lbs, but I might be playing with fire at that point. Putting a blower on the Scat made sense for me because the car is paid for and I just happened to have a blower sitting on the bench in the garage taking up space. I paid $31k for the car with 15k miles, so yeah, way cheaper than a hellcat, and I have the satisfaction of knowing I built unique car. As for transmissions, the 6.2 version of the auto is definitely beefed up. The manual has different ratios and may have larger bearings, not absolutely sure about the bearings. I believe the manual also has a higher capacity clutch.
How much power are you putting down @ 4.5 psi? I'm guessing around 560-570 ??

·
Registered
139 Posts
How much power are you putting down @ 4.5 psi? I'm guessing around 560-570 ??
My guess would be 530hp or so at the wheels. Stock 392 manual trans puts down 450-460, and figure 20whp per lb of boost. Not a crazy setup by any means.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts