Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Supercharging a Scat Pack

69K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  Tropicat 
#1 ·
Anyone done it?
Reasons, and impressions......

#2 ·
Maybe a ways off before you are going to be moving on from the Scat Pack, but on another forum a guy with a supercharged R/T is looking to trade in his car and the trade in values are way low. No dealer really wants to touch that heavily modified of a car.

My 2018 Scat Pack with 485hp was a pretty high performance car. If you think you need more rather than supercharging a Scat Pack seek out a used Hellcat. For probably close to what you would have in the Scat Pack and supercharging it you could get a Hellcat. And the Hellcat is a complete car. The supercharger is not just grafted on but the engine/car was designed and built with supercharging in mind. From the cooling system to the diff.

#3 ·
You're right Rockster, 485 HP is fine for now....I was thinking about down the road after the warranty expires that it might be fun to do and wondering if anyone else had done so....
I added an Edelbrock Eforce to my 2014 Z51 vette after the extended warranty expired and it was like getting a new car! Had if for a year and no issues.
I really like the Scat!!!!

#4 ·
There have been some Scat Pack (6.4l) engines supercharged. I've come upon some posts on this. As is the case with other mods, if done right the results can be impressive. But doing the mod right involves considerable effort and this means it costs money. And a cut corner, a short cut, can have the engine go boom and then one starts all over.

Keep in mind for instance in the case of the Hellcat the supercharger can require considerable HP to spin it. I seem to recall at max boost something like close to 100hp. Thus the engine that is making 707hp at the crank is actually producing over 800hp. And the foundation is not a 485hp engine but one that was intended to withstand 800hp+.

#6 ·
You can perform mods to you scat to improve performance to no end you just have to draw the line is it worth the cost per hp gains? or just get the Hellcat ,now don't me wrong there are a lot of inexpensive upgrades you can do to enhance the performance of the scat choose wisely .

#7 ·
The bottom end of the 6.4L isn't really boost friendly, you would have to run low boost or swap out pistons and connecting rods for sure, by the time you spend the money doing that then you would be farther ahead selling the car and buying a hellcat as your base, would be cheaper but that being said with a tune and some bolt ons then you could probably get the gains or close to that you would get with a low boost supercharger

#8 ·
I have a 2018 TA 392 with a stage 2 Whipple Supercharger 6 speed manual... super fun car to drive. Stage 2 is 8lbs of boost. If I remember correctly the main problem with the 6.4 is piston design.. as far as for boosted applications.. The compression ratio is 10.9 on the 6.4 which is high for boost, and also I think top piston ring is high on piston. Pistons are hypereutectic... and rods aren't the best.. but maybe someone else has more knowledge than me. All that being said at 8lbs or less from what I have always seen.. it should be fine. It is a pricey kit though. Just a hair under 8k.. I bought my car barely used.. so let someone else take the hit.

#9 ·
I saw a 15 supercharged scat pack for sale recently with something like 892hp and 775tq at the wheels and the only mods were upgraded heads and pistons if I remember correctly. I was tempted to check it out, but it was that lime green color and they wanted almost 50k for it. I'm wondering what the reliability of the engine is long term on a supercharged 6.4 as long as you put some forged pistons and such in it? Makes me wonder if it is a better idea to get a SP and SC it after the warranty runs out rather than getting a HC off the bat.

#10 ·
Hard to say... how much you going to drive it? I don't know anyone running those kind of numbers personally.. factory the demon is what? 840hp at the crank.. assuming it was a auto (which if I remember you allow about 20% parasitic loss from drivetrain?) You would be a little over 1100 at the crank. So you would have to worry about transmission upgrades.. diff, halfshafts etc..

#13 ·
Came across this the other day at a Dodge dealer:
Car Vehicle White Hood Motor vehicle

Brand new Charger with a Procharger installed by the dealer. Word is the dealer did this to a customer's car -- at the customer's request -- and decided to do it to a showroom car.

Pretty loaded Scat Pack -- MSRP around $60K -- and the Procharger option adds around $16K to that. Out the door the price is $77K.

#15 ·
Came across this the other day at a Dodge dealer:

Brand new Charger with a Procharger installed by the dealer. Word is the dealer did this to a customer's car -- at the customer's request -- and decided to do it to a showroom car.

Pretty loaded Scat Pack -- MSRP around $60K -- and the Procharger option adds around $16K to that. Out the door the price is $77K.

Nice, but what's the power output ?

Hellcats brand new can be had for 60k.......wide body versions for 70, redeye for 75k

#16 ·
If it were me, I would go the twin turbo route. The Hellion kit @ 5 psi makes around 620 to the wheels with a stock 392. Anything above 5 psi, and you are playing with fire. I have seen a forged 392 (stroked to 426) make 950 to the wheels with the hellion kit. ( this option was really expensive though. like $25,000. )

#19 ·
That hellion kit sounds pretty good. I mean that would be around stock hellcat power. Now if you were to bolt that up to a 1320 with some sticky tires and a little weight reduction. Plus these car already have plenty of torque off the line and the turbo should help out more just where this engine needs it, more towards the mid to top of the rev band

#23 ·
My advice after supercharging my SXT to 512 RWHP is to

upgrade to a Hellcat. If I would have saved the $$ I put into properly supercharging and tuning mine, along with the support pieces, I could have upgraded to a Scat Pack at the very least.

Reactions: Dannyboy72
#39 ·
Apparently no one in here has actually quoted a hellcat before recommending it to someone else looking for cheap power but getting a hellcat requires paying an extra 10k on top of the net price, taxes, and fees. So that means you would have 30k to spend over 20k.... That should be plenty to buy a nice supercharger with an upgraded intercooler system.

#41 ·
I just traded my 17 scat pack about 2 month's ago I put a p1x on it and that was when it had about 3000 miles on it and when I traded it it had 20,000 and it was trouble free...I was running 7lbs. and never had a any problem what so ever...Never had it dynoed but it ran well. The kit I got was from pro charger and it came with everything needed. I keep seeing the people say it wont hold up...well mine did it's mostly in the tune. Mine was a a8

#44 ·
My scat with the Magnuson has held up fine for 8k miles now. As stated, it’s all in the tune. Just run good quality 93 octane and beat on it “sensibly”. I’ll be putting everything back to stock soon- ordered a 2022 scat shaker and will be trading in the current car. Keep an eye on the parts for sale forum for a good deal on a blower.

#45 ·
I think doing some motor work to the 392 without adding boost is the way to go. I've heard its possible to gain around 100hp with some porting, cam, headers and a tune. Not too bad if you ask me considering the scat pack is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the hellcat.

#46 ·
this has been posted before, but to get the 392 up to any level strong enough for a blower running more than 5-6 lbs of boost is somewhere around 10-15 grand. keep it as is. it has been engineered by people with degrees in this type of stuff. if it was easy, dodge would have been offering items through their dealerships as a package

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.