Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Lots of cars make more HP than the Cobra. Hard to compare with the advances made in technology. I would rather drive the V-8 Cobra.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
And the whole point of the post was to conjure up some arguments silly or otherwise just for fun but the fact remains that the SXT really is a true muscle car. Ask the man who owns one. Wait...Has that already been used?
Packard

·
Registered
142 Posts
Same for you Rugman. SXT performance is on a par with the '97 Cobra that I had and that;s my point. Similar 0-60 times even though the rather rotund SXT outweighs the Cobra and nearly identical 1/4 mile times. So I read you guys saying that my old '97 Cobra used to be a muscle car only now it's not? lol
It was in its day. The muscle car has evolved and engines are different but NO muscle car ever had a 6 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yup it sure did and proudly put up a pavement pounding 139 hp. So that's your definition of a muscle car? Check
Hec a 1.3L RX-7 has 255 HP with its Turbos and can whip your car easily lol. Its not muscle though, its a high RPM Rotary engine with problems but fast as hell when running right.

Not sure what "Muscle Car" means today. It was big block, big motors back then.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sorry but no...It’s a nice enough car but just a muscle car wannabe! Might as well put a fart can on it. Just like back in the day. Ever guy with a 318 Challenger or Barracuda would put glasspacks and dual exhausts on it to feel like they had a muscle car. Anybody with an actual muscle car will never recognize an SXT or a 318 Challenger as a muscle car.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
An sxt has no "muscle" to be a muscle car. Look at the older cars, they made close to the 6 today, but they still made more then the other options. The 5.7,6.4, 6.2 all make more hp then the 3.6. Its entry level car. Sorry

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,312 Posts
I will just put this right here....lol View attachment 253097
Along the same lines, let us not forget the 1991 / 1993 GMC, Syclone (4.3L V-6.TURBO, 4.6 sec. 0 to 60 mph, 13.4 sec 1/4 mile with a top speed of 124 mph) and Typhoon SUV ( both with AWD)! These three non V-8s were no doubt the Bad Ass Muscle Cars of their time! ......(y)

·
Administrator
47,526 Posts
Along the same lines, let us not forget the 1991 / 1993 GMC, Syclone (4.3L V-6.TURBO, 4.6 sec. 0 to 60 mph, 13.4 sec 1/4 mile with a top speed of 124 mph) and Typhoon SUV ( both with AWD)! These three non V-8s were no doubt the Bad Ass Muscle Cars of their time! ......(y)
Those were trucks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Here we go and this is the stuff I was eluding to. Bought the youngest an SXT with the first year 305 horse V6. Pretty mundane 0-60 at around 6.5 seconds but borrowed it for a trip to Oregon. The return trip to Reno is through desolation central so showed 130 on the clock often. 3 months ago she traded it for a Chevy Trailblazer. Dang...Hard to raise them right...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Should have compared it to a 2003 Cobra. Pretty sure it could take a stock RT to this day. 97 was under powered by Cobra standayds

21 - 40 of 109 Posts