Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been reading through all the Oil Change threads that pertain to this topic & I still have questions...LOL!

I am due for my 2nd oil change. I had my first oil change done for free by my future son-in-law at Valvoline, where he works, & they did full-synthetic. Obviously I want to stay with full syn, but I don't want the dealer to do it & I don't like the idea of paying $80 this time for him to do it again! I want to do it myself this time, but I was wondering if Valvoline full syn is good enough or is another brand better? I know that Royal Purple is good (however a little out of my price range), so I would appreciate suggestions. I won't use Pennzoil crap however!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Realistically, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them - go with whatever is on sale. I tend to seek out Mobil 1 on sale, myself (Costco, Walmart, Pep Boys), but won't hesitate to use Valvoline, Pennzoil or Castrol or whatever.
Like Gasoline (and doughnuts), everybody has a favorite and swears by it.

I think regular maintenance is more important.

OR, ask the 3 million mile Volvo owner; what ever he used has gotta be good.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/18/irv-gordons-volvo-p1800-has-hit-3-million-miles/

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
In my opinion, Amsoil is the best, but it's pricey.
Mobil 1 is excellent synthetic oil, and you can often find it on sale.

Don't skimp on the filter. That's every bit as important as the fluid itself.
I highly recommend Wix filters. NAPA Gold oil filters are also made by Wix. Stock up when they go on sale! :smileup:

·
Dazed & Confused
36,569 Posts
You can get Royal Purple at Walmart now for a little less than $8 a quart. As Dad said, be sure to get a quality filter also.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Serious about the best filter?
Look here....
https://www.cantonracingproducts.co...ILLET-SPIN-ON-FILTER-22MM-THREAD-2-58-O-RING/

It fits all of the Hemi engines in the Challenger unless you have an early model 2008 vehicle.

This is what I upgraded to. When it comes time to change the element, the dealership is more than happy to use the synthetic element I supply and put it in the canister.

Expensive? Yes. But there is nothing better.

-John

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I run Royal Purple with a Napa Gold filter. I buy it by the case from Am.azon. I change it myself for about $65. Don't skimp on good engine oil and filter.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,500 Posts
I use Valvoline Full Synthetic in my Ram and my wife's Jeep Liberty. I always use a premium Filter(K&N, Mobil 1, Fram Ultra). I usually buy them as an Oil Change special where I work at Advance Auto. 2 months ago, I bought 6 specials and they were $32.99 each and I got a $10 gift card back on each of them, resulting in a net cost of $22.99 each. I just buy extra oil changes for the extra 2 qts that the hemis need.

I use Royal Purple in the Challenger. Get it thru Amazon.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use only Pennzoil Ultra in my SRT-8, since that is what is installed at the factory and I figure Dodge knows best.

Mike

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
Mobil 1 full synthetic and best possible filter (made in the USA) for me on all cars!

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
A lot of you that spend a lot of money on synthetic oil often give second thought to the oil filter. On all my good cars, this is the filter I use. This is already on the Challenger but, I took a picture of it when I got it so I could show it off. This thing weighs nearly 2 lbs. and is built like a tank. Once you screw it on, you just remove the 5 allen screws from the bottom and put in a new synthetic cartridge. This series filter (because of it's long size canister) is good for 20,000 miles before it needs to be changed. There is no bypass valve and the filter is very low restriction. Some dyno runs have shown a gain of 3 - 5 HP due to the ease of pumping oil through the media.
Just thought you all might like to see a real oil filter.
Think about it... you spend all that money on a nice catch can. Why not blow a few bucks on a lifetime part of the oiling system?

-John

-John

Attachments

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
A lot of you that spend a lot of money on synthetic oil often give second thought to the oil filter. On all my good cars, this is the filter I use. This is already on the Challenger but, I took a picture of it when I got it so I could show it off. This thing weighs nearly 2 lbs. and is built like a tank. Once you screw it on, you just remove the 5 allen screws from the bottom and put in a new synthetic cartridge. This series filter (because of it's long size canister) is good for 20,000 miles before it needs to be changed. There is no bypass valve and the filter is very low restriction. Some dyno runs have shown a gain of 3 - 5 HP due to the ease of pumping oil through the media.
Just thought you all might like to see a real oil filter.
Think about it... you spend all that money on a nice catch can. Why not blow a few bucks on a lifetime part of the oiling system?

-John

-John

John - can you PM the link for where to get that?

Never mind - just saw your other post - DOH!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Oil Change

I have always used Mobil 1 synthetic with the Mobil 1 filter. Advance Auto Parts will price match competitors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was wondering the same thing... I bought 7 quarts of full synthetic pennzoil oil... and a K&N Filter... cost me 75 dollars at autozone... but am not sure as to where this filter "sits" on its competition... (I use K&N on my Infiniti G20 p11 also, as I read a thread that it was the better than most) does this also apply to Mopar?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts