Dodge Challenger Forum banner

T/A 392 485hp rating ??? Shouldn't it be more

6K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  landoawd 
#1 ·
Shouldn't the T/A 392 make more then 485hp with the forced air induction along.with the headlight induction ??? Otherwise what benifit does it have that the scatpacks don't ??

#2 ·
Slim to none on gained performance. A 392 is a 392 give or take 2HP.

#4 ·
I installed the T/A Air Grabber on my SRT. No gains to speak of over the K&N Typhoon previously installed. Maybe a fuzz cooler intake temps. than OEM but still no real HP gains IMO. I just think it's cool looking. Wish I'd done a couple before and after dyno pulls to know for sure though.

#5 ·
This debate is like Mustang owners wondering if a JEGS sticker adds 15hp. There are a number of factors to consider. The airintake isnt a closed system so air pressure gains are negleable. Your best performance gains come from the type of air, cool and dry. What the Shaker and T/A intake help do is keep air temps cooler, the Hellcat intake helps with this also.
Since our engines are identical air pumps with the same intake and exhaust manifolds it make sense we have the same hps. On the V6 Pentastars in the Chargers and Challengers the hps are different because their intakes and exhaust manifolds aren't the same.

#11 ·
What forced induction? The 392 doesn't have a SuperCharger or a Turbo... Are you referring the CAI (Cold Air Intake)?

In that case, no, CAI don't get you any more ponies. The hood scoop and headlight thingy help with the IAT though.
If you want some HP, you'd need sport CATs, headers and most likely a more aggressive tune (i.e leaner).

#12 ·
What forced induction? The 392 doesn't have a SuperCharger or a Turbo... Are you referring the CAI (Cold Air Intake)?

In that case, no, CAI don't get you any more ponies. The hood scoop and headlight thingy help with the IAT though.
If you want some HP, you'd need sport CATs, headers and most likely a more aggressive tune (i.e leaner).
So by doing that, what would the result be? Wouldn't lower IAT's effectively contribute to something else?

#17 ·
They sell a lot of filters with that false claim.

Reactions: ArchGE
#19 ·
I don't know how they get away with it.

#21 ·
Lower IAT is better efficiency. The hotter the air that comes in, the less power you make because the air is not a dense when hot. Also, if the IAT gets too high, the PCM will change the timing and you'll get a fairly drastic reduction of power. That's especially the case when you do drag racing; for road racing, the IAT usually gets lower because you're constantly moving.
:)
Right. So if an increased IAT nets a loss in power, then lowering IAT's should result in a gain in power.
If the Air Grabber setup on the T/A is actually lowering IAT's, then a bump in power would take place.
To my knowledge that hasn't been tested, so no one really knows. I would suspect that the Air Grabber isn't really doing anything at all. And if it is, the increase in power would be minimal and only prevalent in certain ambient air conditions.

#26 ·
Right. So if an increased IAT nets a loss in power, then lowering IAT's should result in a gain in power.
That's not how it works. Its <=

He says it is almost worth 4 tenths in the quarter.
Ice on the manifold for 40WHP? :/

Does he pop wheelies over Coke cans and bet people they can't snatch a hundred dollar bill of his dash while he accelerates?

#22 ·
A buddy of mine places a large bag of dry ice on his intake manifold. I mean, he really packs it on there good. (2016 Camaro) He says it is almost worth 4 tenths in the quarter. Now, if he could only get that manifold to stay cool and not warm up as the car goes down the track. He always stages late and does not rev the engine to get the most benefit and have the manifold as cold as possible.
Could he call it an "I.A.I.?" Ice Air Intake. He tried to get my son and I to try it last summer but, I was really skeptical.
-John

#23 ·
An old drag racer trick. I used to do it all the time, but I stopped because it made the discharge housing on one of my Whippled cars warp, and it caused a boost leak. I certainly never saw .4 out of it though, so who knows.

There are much better ways to cool down IAT's, and most have already been mentioned. ;)

Reactions: TheOldGuy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.