Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have ordered the kit to make my hood functional ram air and im tore on what is the best cai to take full advantage of the ram air effect ... :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
374 Posts
I can't comment on what the hood vent system will fit, as far as the air box, only because I haven't been able to get one since I bought my car. They've been back ordered for 6 months, so in reality, you may have to trim the top of any given box besides the Mopar box to get the hood to close. No big deal.

The Spectre intake from Summit Racing is by far your best deal on a Challenger intake, both for price and HP. The founder of Spectre Performance is a good friend of mine, and basically he told me that all the intakes cost the same to produce, it's all a marketing scam. He chose to sell his for a smaller profit, but mass produce them. $150 vs. $300 plus for others. Just goes to show you how much aftermarket companies mark up their products. Don't get sucked in to the marketing hype.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showpost.php?p=866823&postcount=10

·
Registered
239 Posts
if u order a mopar cai u will not get the k/n type air filter which flows the most air u will get a blue paper one the reason the mopar comes with the paper type filter according to mopar performance is that to many people were putting to much of the filter oil on the k/n type filter and it was getting on the sensor and throwing a code or causing the check engine light to come on. so they cam out with the paper filter which does not flow as much air.get a system that has the k/n filter so u can use their oil so it will collect the most debri put the oil on it before u install it and lightly use a blow gun with low air pressure and blow any excess oil off it before the filter is installed i did this and no codes or engine light came on and that filter does make a difference good luck in your decision and remember drivem like u are running from the law

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That's a great story and all about the oil filter versus dry filter but don't go based on that. Take it from someone who HAS at T/A hood with the functional kit. You have to be cautious about what CAI you get as they may interfere with the extended vent directing the air to the CAI. You may have to trim the box/block off plate if you get something besides a Mopar CAI. You can get any CAI you want as long as your willing to modify it to work with the vent system, don't worry about the filter as if you don't prefer the one it comes with, you can always order the one you want through S&B filters, spectre filters, k&n filters, etc for a fairly cheap price. I would go with Mopar, but thats just me as it's guaranteed to work with the vent system.

Something a little more concerning is the coolant overflow tank, I'm not sure if you own a 2011 or newer challenger but if you do, you'll have to purchase a 2010 coolant overflow tank as the 2011+ will not allow you to shut the hood with the vent system connected to the hood. It's fairly cheap (about $50-60 bucks). I got mine from Luke through steve white motors. I'm here if you need any help or have any questions.

·
Registered
239 Posts
what u also say is correct but u can get a k/n filter the same size i just wish i could get the functional kit for my srt 8 i have the hood but no kit is out their they say the intake is the problem go figure

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
what u also say is correct but u can get a k/n filter the same size i just wish i could get the functional kit for my srt 8 i have the hood but no kit is out their they say the intake is the problem go figure
I would figure that a legmaker CAI would eliminate any issues with the intake. You would still need to get the 2010 coolant tank as well if you owned a 2011+ SRT.

http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/sx-cai-cf-392.htm

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,406 Posts
I've got a 2010 MOPAR '10. It came with the functional TA hood & CAI system. Going on 4 years and totaly satisfied with it. I did order a spare filter for a faster swap out. I remove the dirty filter, wash it per the instructions and let it dry. It washes up like new and drys in about 24 hours. JMO--:smileup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
please note as to date according to mopar performance their is no i repeat no under hood direct air system for the t/a hood if u have a srt8 6.1 or 6.4 hemi they are for r/t with a 5.7 hemi and they have no intentions at this time to make one if someone out their has a system that will work with any srt8 please let me know i would love to have one i have gone as far to make a system that will work but it takes a lot of time and patience and it is not done yet remember drivem like u are running from the law

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes I have a 2012 car . and I have no issues with cutting a little off of it thank you all for the info and ill post what I do in a few weeks as to the cai ..but .. as for the coolant tank .. ill have to get a 2010 tank regardless off the cai ?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I got everything from luke at stevewhitemotors.com I believe he is back ordered on the vent systems but he can put you on a list and as soon as they come in he will get it out to you super fast at a great price.

Yes you will need the 2010 coolant overflow tank if you plan to add the vent system regardless of CAI.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
That's a great story and all about the oil filter versus dry filter but don't go based on that. Take it from someone who HAS at T/A hood with the functional kit. You have to be cautious about what CAI you get as they may interfere with the extended vent directing the air to the CAI. You may have to trim the box/block off plate if you get something besides a Mopar CAI. You can get any CAI you want as long as your willing to modify it to work with the vent system, don't worry about the filter as if you don't prefer the one it comes with, you can always order the one you want through S&B filters, spectre filters, k&n filters, etc for a fairly cheap price. I would go with Mopar, but thats just me as it's guaranteed to work with the vent system.

Something a little more concerning is the coolant overflow tank, I'm not sure if you own a 2011 or newer challenger but if you do, you'll have to purchase a 2010 coolant overflow tank as the 2011+ will not allow you to shut the hood with the vent system connected to the hood. It's fairly cheap (about $50-60 bucks). I got mine from Luke through steve white motors. I'm here if you need any help or have any questions.
JS1977 is right on point!

I have a T/A hood and opened it up using the Mopar special purpose kit. You should be able to find it on line for about $450-$500. Really easy to install and since the car already comes with the hood "pre-cut" there is no sheet metal to remove. The kit comes with functional grilles to replace the closed ones. Like JS says, this kit will not work with the factory airbox - you will need to put in an aftermarket CAI kit. Mopar makes one designed to work with their T/A hood kit. When I got mine I got the wrong year CAI kit, so I had to grind both the top side and the underside of airbox to make it mate with the air chute coming from the underside of the scoop. If I had the right MOPAR CAI kit I would not have had to grind anything -
I was just too lazy (and stubborn) to take it back for the right one.

As to the coolant overflow tank issue JS1997 mentions, I did not have any issues with clearnance on mine. I have a 2012 and it fit perfectly with no adjustments to either the T/A kit components nor to any of the coolant system components. Not sure if they fixed the problem in 2012 that was experienced in earlier models - so you may not have to deal with this issue.

One thing I did read somewhere is someone who tried to keep the factory noise reduction pad that comes under the hood in place. Insead of removing it when they installed the kit, they instead cut out the hole for the TA in the pad itself and left it in place. This actually moves the kit attachments closer to the engine components since the pad forms an intervening layer between the hood and the venting. And while the attachment pins are long enough to handle it, it may push they air ducting close enough to interfere with the clearance on the coolant components. If you dont have the pad in place I found the clearance is just fine. The TA functional conversion kit is not designed to be used with the soundproofing pad in place. This isnt clear in the instructions - got this tidbit from a MOPAR dealer. JS - is this a consideration for your installation?

The other factor that might explain why JS had an issue and I didn't is it might simply be small differences in manufacturing tolerances because the kit does come close to the tanks. Mine might have worked just fine whereas JS's may have had a slightly different physical dimension that came into contact with the tank. My advice would be get the kit first - install it, and then if you have clearance issues buy the tank. If you dont then you can put the money you save from not having to buy the tank towards your next mod.

If you go online its listed under Challenger T/A Hood Venting and Water Management System. its designed only for the 5.7L engine. P/N is 82211665AD and the MOPAR CAI PN is 77060003AB. Attached is the install diagram from one of our forum vendors- Speedlogix

http://www.speedlogix.net/instructio...r-82212435.pdf

Everything above is based on my own personal experience - I have done it, its easy, there are no performance issues, and my engine bay isnt dirty since the air is carefully directed into the CAI. The water management system works perfectly - no issues, even on days of heavy rain, driving through a deluge thunderstorm or driving long hours in wet weather. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ply76cuda has some good advice there. I would see if you have any clearance issues first and then buy the coolant tank if you do, shouldn't delay completion of the project but a few extra days.

I bought coolant tank because I was informed it would be a clearance issue. since I own both tanks I can see the difference and why one would work and one wouldn't. I'm not a 100% sure but I think I tried it with my 2012 tank and it made contact so I switched them out. If you do have to switch them out, it's super easy as it's just two bolts and two clamps holding the hoses on, takes like 10minutes tops and thats due to not spilling the coolant out when switching.

I did not use the pad as I wasn't sure if I wanted to cut it up or not. But I can see how that may cause issues too.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
i am glad to finally see someone else has got it right the under hood kit only fits a 5.7 hemi which would be a r/t challenger and not a srt8.
You can make it work for a SRT8, you just might have to modify the CAI, but it's not undoable since I know of SRT8 owners who have had it done.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
You can make it work for a SRT8, you just might have to modify the CAI, but it's not undoable since I know of SRT8 owners who have had it done.

Yup - I have seen some SRT conversions as well - just be ready to whip out your dremel or bench grinder for a few parts - not a super big deal :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
help if u no a person or their is someone on this site that has installed the the t/a hood on a srt8 and installed the venting system please contact challcuda because for those that say they have seen it and u just have to get out a dremal and grind a little its my understanding from mopar performance that the venting system hits the intake manifold and i am not grinding mine thanks for every ones time

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
help if u no a person or their is someone on this site that has installed the the t/a hood on a srt8 and installed the venting system please contact challcuda because for those that say they have seen it and u just have to get out a dremal and grind a little its my understanding from mopar performance that the venting system hits the intake manifold and i am not grinding mine thanks for every ones time
I have a 392 intake manifold and the T/A vent doesn't come in contact with it, what is the problem is the CAI box, I haven't taken a dremel to it yet, but plan to soon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.