Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha all! Just got done with my install of the Mopar T/A hood Kit p/n 77072436. My Challenger is a 2020 RT base model.

I decided I wanted this kit because I loved the idea of the advantages of the Shaker without some of the negatives (price, availability, etc) and also how it included the Hellcat headlight tube mod and a CAI, both I was planning to install anyhow.
Some details:

Its anywhere from $630-$775 (plus or minus shipping) depending where you live and where you get it.

The air intake from the hood to the airbox has been reported to have heat absorption problems, both from the engine and from the hood. I also live in Hawaii, where 80+ degree weather is common. Based on this information, I decided to try to insulate my air duct. To achieve this, I looked into various plumbing products, and decided on adhesive Aluminum tape. This is rated to ensure no heat issues from the engine, and should keep the incoming air the same temperature as it passes. It also added some chrome flair to my engine bay.

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Grey Bumper

The instructions provided will tell you do remove the hood heat guard, and vaguely mentions a couple of (likely expensive) options of alternate heat guards that are compatible with the T/A hood air intake. Personally, I was a) not looking to spend more on this mod and b) not convinced any of these parts would actually fit a 2020. Given these facts, i decided to use the air tube to draw out a template with chalk, then cut my heat guard to use with the hood air intake. This worked mostly well, the only real issue was removing the heat guard itself and being able to re-use the clips. Two were DOA, and the left edge hole crumbled pulling out that one. (Might repair with some black gorilla tape. 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Hood Asphalt Automotive exterior Road surface Grey

Automotive tire Road surface Bumper Motor vehicle Asphalt

Installing the Air intake tube itself was not that difficult. Swapping the scoop intake out is just a matter of BEING CAREFUL. I was doubly careful, having a wrapped hood, and fortunately did no harm 😃🤙🏼.

The next hurdle is actually fitting the T/A air duct into the new scoop insert and connecting into the worst game of hanging a picture frame you have ever played. There is a body plug you insert on the underside of the hood that slides into the backside of the T/A air tube that you basically have to hook blindly, while hoisting a semi-heavy item across a large engine compartment, and slide it in to lock into two positions successfully. This definitely takes two people, as the air intake tube is a bit too long and awkward to handle alone with grace. If you are a bit shorter of stature, I might grab a tall friend to help position this for you.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Black Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Hood

Inserting the Hellcat Airbox itself went fairly as planned, except for a part I did not understand about hooking and unhooking a MUA tube. Wasn’t able to positively identify it, didn’t unhook it, I saw it as a non-problem. We later did find a hole in the installed CAI box that should have had the MUA tube connected to it, but since it was (assumably) still hooked up, we plugged it. —-> If anyone has insight into this, comments are appreciated! 😃

The air tube for the headlight air intake is designed for the pop-out style lights, so if you have a new model with the patterned lit tube, expect to mod or buy the correct tube. (Part is 68322216-AA for ‘19 and up).

To remove the plug, I used a Cobalt small wrench set with small star wrench bit. You NEED something small with a ratchet to get these out, so find one of those mini-sets and you will not suffer needlessly removing the plug. To take the air tub and cut to fit, I used a hacksaw to cut it at the first rib line on the long end (about 1” of excess). You could use a box cutter or sharp scissors, since it is a soft fiberglass, but just make sure you get a straight line and don’t cut too short, or you will be ordering a new part. To line up the hellcat airbox once you put the air tube on, you really need to take off the top of the airbox (with the filter) and move the radiator reservoir in order to have enough maneuver space. Then you can pop it in place easily.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive design Rim

Hand Hood Glove Gesture Bumper

Overall, I found that all holes needed were present in the hood, so no drilling was needed (as mentioned in the kit). The odd tube hole was the only left field issue we faced on install. I went in fully aware of the difficulties of pulling out the headlight air duct cap and need to cut the air tube to the Hellcat airbox, so that issue wasn’t difficult to overcome either.

I would give this a difficulty level of journeyman, basic toolkit, and the MOPAR kit a B-. Points deducted for being a bit aged (air tube not designed for most models) and MUA obviously changed from model years the kit supposedly works for.

Appreciate comments and pics from personal experiences! Will post a full engine bay photo when its daylight. Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Grey Bumper
Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Black Automotive lighting
Hood Asphalt Automotive exterior Road surface Grey
Automotive tire Road surface Bumper Motor vehicle Asphalt
Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Hood
Hand Hood Glove Gesture Bumper

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,454 Posts
Reactions: BigKahunaMopar

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Lets see the outside.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I see, you basically duplicated my 345 T/A hood and CAI. Nice

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great job making the scoop functional.(y)
I like this kit.
Seemed like the only practical way to connect the hood scoop to the air box on my car.
Went through the same battle with the hood liner, ended up cutting it and didn't like the look, so I trashed it and just left it off. Only to find out others have installed it over the original hood liner.
Had to jump over a couple of hurdles and through some hoops along the way to get it connected to the 3.6 in my GT, but it can be done.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

The headlight tube install was a breeze on mine, as the caps just popped out and no cutting of the tube was needed. Others have not been as fortunate.
Replaced all the factory inlet ducting with 3.5" dia. tubing, reducing to 3" before the throttle body.
My intake air temps hover between 5 and 8 degrees above ambient, as long as I'm moving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great job making the scoop functional.(y)
I like this kit.
Seemed like the only practical way to connect the hood scoop to the air box on my car.
Went through the same battle with the hood liner, ended up cutting it and didn't like the look, so I trashed it and just left it off. Only to find out others have installed it over the original hood liner.
Had to jump over a couple of hurdles and through some hoops along the way to get it connected to the 3.6 in my GT, but it can be done.
View attachment 293808

The headlight tube install was a breeze on mine, as the caps just popped out and no cutting of the tube was needed. Others have not been as fortunate.
Replaced all the factory inlet ducting with 3.5" dia. tubing, reducing to 3" before the throttle body.
My intake air temps hover between 5 and 8 degrees above ambient, as long as I'm moving.
Love the look of the tubes! How are you measuring the overall air temperature intake?

i am considering picking up the MOPAR intake tube. However I have heard tell that the metal heats the air more than plastic/rubber?

Any truth to this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Love the look of the tubes! How are you measuring the overall air temperature intake?

i am considering picking up the MOPAR intake tube. However I have heard tell that the metal heats the air more than plastic/rubber?

Any truth to this?
Using the performance pages to monitor intake temps, also displays ambient air temp and several other things.

As far as the aluminum tubes heating up, from what I understand, the incoming air is traveling too fast to absorb much underhood heat, especially at highway speeds. But if you're stuck in heavy traffic or the car's parked after running and it heat soaks, all bets are off. However intake temps start to drop as soon as you start moving.

I liked the looks of the Mopar tubes, as they look like a factory install, and would have really given this a finished look. But then I would have had to buy another "cold air kit" (77070045AB) just to get the tubes. Sure wish the they were available separately. They have part numbers (27365M MOPAR Air Intake Tube; Throttle Body)
and (27366M MOPAR Air Intake Tube; Air Box) but my searches all came up blank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Using the performance pages to monitor intake temps, also displays ambient air temp and several other things.

As far as the aluminum tubes heating up, from what I understand, the incoming air is traveling too fast to absorb much underhood heat, especially at highway speeds. But if you're stuck in heavy traffic or the car's parked after running and it heat soaks, all bets are off. However intake temps start to drop as soon as you start moving.

I liked the looks of the Mopar tubes, as they look like a factory install, and would have really given this a finished look. But then I would have had to buy another "cold air kit" (77070045AB) just to get the tubes. Sure wish the they were available separately. They have part numbers (27365M MOPAR Air Intake Tube; Throttle Body)
and (27366M MOPAR Air Intake Tube; Air Box) but my searches all came up blank.
Its unfortunate that this kit did not come with the aluminum tubes, but given the fact it is designed for 5.8 or 6.4, it makes sense that they shied away from including it. Making one generic box makes it easier.

Also explains why we have to trim a headlight intake tube designed for ‘11 models on a “universal” kit, and deal with so many random install issues on seemingly every Challenger that tries to use this kit. 😂

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Now consider removing that engine shroud and add modified 392 engine valve wiring covers.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Auto part Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone know about the MUA or the intended purpose of the output receptacle from the CAI past the Air filter? That part of the install is still bothering me.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Product Automotive design Car

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
57,291 Posts
Does anyone know about the MUA or the intended purpose of the output receptacle from the CAI past the Air filter? That part of the install is still bothering me. View attachment 294012
I would just cap it. It is for the hose that has the Mopar tag on it. I don't know what you have it hooked to.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The PCV hose attaches there. I just plugged mine and ran a small filter to the PCV tube.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
57,291 Posts
Does anyone know about the MUA or the intended purpose of the output receptacle from the CAI past the Air filter? That part of the install is still bothering me. View attachment 294012
You want to plug that asap because it is drawing in unfiltered air into the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do have it plugged. Just a matter of if having it hooked up farther down the line is ok or if earlier on the filter is better.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts