Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering making my TA style hood functional, but I have to wonder if spending close to $1000 to do it is worth it, I think from what I have seen the kit it $400 plus, the cold air kit which is required is another $400, and then the new coolant resevoir is about $60. Does that sound about right? I was wondering who has done it and does it make enough of a difference to warrant the cost

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
Expect maybe about 5 hp from cold air induction (CAI). I tend to think of a CAI system to be an "appearance" mod only. That said, my wife's Mustang has a Cervini ram air hood and induction system that you can hear the air being sucked in while under acceleration (which sounds pretty cool).

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
The TA hood is as Scat Pack said mostly for looks, however if having the hood scoop functional is important to you then you may want to do it. But there isn't going to be a big horsepower jump if you do.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I did the same on my T/A hood scoop. There is very minimal HP gain. However there is something to be said for the notion of "why have a hood scoop if it isnt working"?

I chose to open it up b/c when I finish the engine build I am going to plumb the scoop directly into the intake port. The kit that opens up the T/A has new perforated front grilles that replace the factory solid grilles. By themselves the perforated grilles will NOT supply enough airflow to allow a direct port, although its plenty to port into the CAI and keep the warmer (i.e., less efficient) underhood air away from the CAI on a factory set up, since the CAI also allows additional air from other angles.

On my set up I plan on either fabricating some butterfly valves and throttle linkages or customizing from an SMS hood and blending those into the port and starboard sides of the hood scoop itself. That way I will run the grille supplied airflow under moderate throttle and when I open it up (1/2 throttle thru WOT), the butterfly valves will kick in adding more airflow into airstream. Plus the butterfly valves in operation look friggin awesome :)

Here is a really good thread on the basic T/A hood kit. Posts 10-14 talk about the coolant reservoir issue - some need it - some dont.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=100885

Good luck with this - if you need help on the install PM me and I can walk you through it - Andres

1 - 4 of 4 Posts