Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Give them time, they'll probably amend their terms of service. And it may as well be cut off as when they cut you back to 2g you're pretty much dead in the water anyway.
If that happens, that means there will no longer be unlimited plans.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Not gonna hijack this thread any longer but don't think they can't throttle your speed back no matter what your connection is. They have the technology.
What is your background?

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,750 Posts
Not gonna hijack this thread any longer but don't think they can't throttle your speed back no matter what your connection is. They have the technology.
If you read some of the plans offered my Metro that is actually in the fine print. Haven't looked at the plans in a wile but a couple of years back was defiantly in the fine print.

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
I still have a hard-wired land line. Last night I pulled an old pulse dial rotary phone out of the basement. I plugged it in. I dialed my cell phone. The cell phone rang and it worked perfect. But on the cell network they can't....
-John

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
865 Posts
Well ... I have removed the T-Mobile 4G Dongle from my Challenger SRT 392 and our Durango R/T. Now I can only hope that some combination of Dodge Cares and my credit card company can get the cancellation fees waived. I certainly don't like the idea of paying for something that I only shut off because it doesn't work

Neither dongle worked 100% of the time. At least not properly.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Well this is a puzzle! I have a 3G flip phone. I will use nothing else. F anyone tracking me on a smartphone. Tracfone says my 3G phone will always work because the technology will always be downward compatible.
-John
You use a cellphone, any cellphone, and you can be "tracked". Why would you care one bit if "they" track you? Why would "they" want to?

I know a guy who is a retired bus driver, and lives in a world of paranoia and suspicion. And if I get blunt, total ignorance. A ton of info is available online for him, which shocked him (Not many other people would be unaware as he is) greatly. When I showed him his address, landline phone number (He won't get a cellphone because "they" can "track" him. He never goes much of anywhere, LOL) His former profession and employer, his family members, and what seemed to floor him, a pic of his house, which is looked up on the local property tax page. Another world rattling piece of non news that shocked him was that on the same property tax page, it showed how much he paid his mom for the house, and all owners of the house from the builders on to him. The only thing missing online is a recent pic of him, there's an old one from about 1999, it's his work ID pic.

Along with the paranoid stuff, he smokes like 2 packs a day, yet a plate of fries or onion rings puts him into a panic like a cross does in an old vampire movie. "That stuff will kill you!", as he puffs away. If I would take a guess on what eventually will kill him, it's gonna be the cigarettes, or toxins from the cologne he dumps on himself daily. He makes my eyes water and nose run anytime I'm around him.

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
You use a cellphone, any cellphone, and you can be "tracked". Why would you care one bit if "they" track you? Why would "they" want to?

I know a guy who is a retired bus driver, and lives in a world of paranoia and suspicion. And if I get blunt, total ignorance. A ton of info is available online for him, which shocked him (Not many other people would be unaware as he is) greatly. When I showed him his address, landline phone number (He won't get a cellphone because "they" can "track" him. He never goes much of anywhere, LOL) His former profession and employer, his family members, and what seemed to floor him, a pic of his house, which is looked up on the local property tax page. Another world rattling piece of non news that shocked him was that on the same property tax page, it showed how much he paid his mom for the house, and all owners of the house from the builders on to him. The only thing missing online is a recent pic of him, there's an old one from about 1999, it's his work ID pic.

Along with the paranoid stuff, he smokes like 2 packs a day, yet a plate of fries or onion rings puts him into a panic like a cross does in an old vampire movie. "That stuff will kill you!", as he puffs away. If I would take a guess on what eventually will kill him, it's gonna be the cigarettes, or toxins from the cologne he dumps on himself daily. He makes my eyes water and nose run anytime I'm around him.
My military grade flip phone which is no longer available on Amazon (or anyplace) has the ability to block all tracking efforts. Including Amber alerts as well as the new federal emergency alerts. GPS is disabled too. I will keep it until the day it explodes or is non-functional.
-John

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,058 Posts

I know people just like him. LMAO. Ignorance at its best! I worked with a guy that refused to have his bi-weekly paycheck direct deposited. He insisted on a paper check, because it cost the municipality/employer $$$. His little "f-u" to the man, so to speak. I always laughed when he would drive 30 miles round trip on his off time to pick it up and then wait in line at a bank to deposit it!

On the original topic, I have no idea what this 'dongle' is or does, but I know that all the cell carriers are shutting down 3G and DO throttle back data even on some 'unlimited' plans. The carrier (the nations largest) I have used since 1989 recently made some changes to the towers in my area (they won't admit though) and have been experiencing connectivity issues for the past few months. After calling repeatedly to complain with no satisfactory solution I was finally able to get a Customer Service Rep that was sympathetic and after some crafty negotiation I was able to get a device that boosts the signal in my home, at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Not sure how this relates to our vehicles. Our Challengers are only recieving 3G? Not 4G?
It absolutely relates to many of us.

Receiving 3G versus 4G is exactly the problem. I'm not sure what year the infotainment system switched to 4G. Maybe 2017 or 2018 with the upgraded radios that can use Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. But many of us are stuck with 3G.

For example, the Uconnect system in my 2015 Challenger SRT 392 (and our 2017 Durango R/T) is operating on a 3G system that T-Mobile is shutting down in January. T-Mobile/Uconnect/Dodge's solution is to offer a dongle that plugs into the OBDII port to keep some of the features operating and provide an in-car WiFi Hotspot. I had a dongle for each vehicle and had problems with both of them. And even with the dongle, I wouldn't be able to use the Emergency 911 nor Assistance buttons on the mirror any longer.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It absolutely relates to many of us.

Receiving 3G versus 4G is exactly the problem. I'm not sure what year the infotainment system switched to 4G. Maybe 2017 or 2018 with the upgraded radios that can use Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. But many of us are stuck with 3G.

For example, the Uconnect system in my 2015 Challenger SRT 392 (and our 2017 Durango R/T) is operating on a 3G system that T-Mobile is shutting down in January. T-Mobile/Uconnect/Dodge's solution is to offer a dongle that plugs into the OBDII port to keep some of the features operating and provide an in-car WiFi Hotspot. I had a dongle for each vehicle and had problems with both of them. And even with the dongle, I wouldn't be able to use the Emergency 911 nor Assistance buttons on the mirror any longer.
Ah i see. I wasnt sure the problem as ive never thought about the car systems having 3G or 4G. 2017 was the year the infotainment systems added Car Play and Android Auto. Those are expensive as well on their website.
Might be better to go to a salvage/junk yard and find a Challenger there that is 2017 or up and get the system but then i dont know what difficulties there are getting it to work. Or you could get lucky on eBay.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Ah i see. I wasnt sure the problem as ive never thought about the car systems having 3G or 4G. 2017 was the year the infotainment systems added Car Play and Android Auto. Those are expensive as well on their website.
Might be better to go to a salvage/junk yard and find a Challenger there that is 2017 or up and get the system but then i dont know what difficulties there are getting it to work. Or you could get lucky on eBay.
Unfortunately ... the newer radios don't play well with the ECM or the BCM in the 2015s. People have reported losing functions like the Sport setting or losing their Heated Seats, etc.

My car will be fine ... it just won't have the full compliment of features that I paid for. And ... I'll probably lose one of my insurance discounts since the vehicle locator function will no longer work.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Unfortunately ... the newer radios don't play well with the ECM or the BCM in the 2015s. People have reported losing functions like the Sport setting or losing their Heated Seats, etc.

My car will be fine ... it just won't have the full compliment of features that I paid for. And ... I'll probably lose one of my insurance discounts since the vehicle locator function will no longer work.
I'd would think there has to be a way to make you able to make phone calls with some sort of fix from Dodge/Stalanis

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I know people just like him. LMAO. Ignorance at its best! I worked with a guy that refused to have his bi-weekly paycheck direct deposited. He insisted on a paper check, because it cost the municipality/employer $$$. His little "f-u" to the man, so to speak. I always laughed when he would drive 30 miles round trip on his off time to pick it up and then wait in line at a bank to deposit it!

On the original topic, I have no idea what this 'dongle' is or does, but I know that all the cell carriers are shutting down 3G and DO throttle back data even on some 'unlimited' plans. The carrier (the nations largest) I have used since 1989 recently made some changes to the towers in my area (they won't admit though) and have been experiencing connectivity issues for the past few months. After calling repeatedly to complain with no satisfactory solution I was finally able to get a Customer Service Rep that was sympathetic and after some crafty negotiation I was able to get a device that boosts the signal in my home, at a reasonable cost.
Another guy, this one an actual friend, had an old flip phone that he had forever, I don't know how many replacement batteries he had bought over the years. It was one of the first digital mode phone models. About a year ago, his carrier sent him a letter with his bill (He used to always write a check for it, because..?) saying his phone was obsolete and wouldn't work after Jan 1, 2021. Oh no! He could text on it, but never did, and he could do email on it, but never did. His daughter bought him an iPhone for Christmas (He would never pop for a phone that expensive) and he was kind of forced into the modern day tech. One of the things that drives me crazy is I will text him, "I'm going to bed so I will be on DND until I get up tonight, or whenever". His wife works odd hours so I can't call him as she's sleeping. He would ignore the indicator he had a text, and call and call me, over and over again, leaving a voice message EVERY TIME. One day, I went to bed about 11am, and slept until about 11pm. At about 1145pm, just as I went to get into the shower, someone buzzes and it's him, checking to see if I'm OK. "Did you read the text I sent you?"....."No.". I just let him sit there until he buzzed again, and he says, "Are you gonna let me in?"...."No!", and he went back home to the wife, explaining that he got up, woke her up, and drove over to my place because he refused to read any text messages. How many were unread? About 50. He actually now reads his messages about once a week, and checks his mail about as often. He doesn't take the phone with him when he goes out most of the time, even though he has many health issues. I just shake my head and wonder what he's thinking. I don't go anywhere without my phone and I have about 10% of the problems he has. When you're over 60, a cell phone should be a standard carry, especially for a heart patient like him. And he wanted me to make a copy of just the audio of a song that was on Youtube for him. I did and sent him an email with it attached. He's had PC's over 30 years and he was confused about the file I sent him! "You wanted that song, right? That's the file I sent you, called (song title.mp3)!". "What do I do with that?, I thought you would burn a CD!". I just sighed and thought he must have been on the heart/lung machine too long during his bypass surgery...

Reactions: TITANIUM

·
Registered
408 Posts

Yeah because that makes sense. Its costing him money to go get it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts