Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed alot of people on her have modded the t-stat...something about a 180? Im new to the challenger world and didnt quite understand the point or purpose. Im assuming its to kick the fans on at a lower temp and overall keep the engine cooler and also not report such high temps back to engine computer which would/could cause performance impacts.

Maybe Im wrong with that whole statement...somebody set me straight if so lol

And secondly, when you put one in do you need to then get a tune to tell your engine and adjust the fans accordingly?

Also, I noticed my car always runs straight up and down as far as stock temp gauge...meaning its right in the middle of hot and cold. Most cars Ive had in the past run slightly under half way and lean more toward cold, like a 60 70 degree angle towards cold. Dealer says its fine but would a t-stat help with this too?

Any knowledge on this would be great as Im just super confused as to why it runs so warm and if I should grab a new tstat. Thanks

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Below are a few links that will help you learn more about the T-stat swap. But here is an excerpt from Bigsnakes thread that I think sums it up nicely why a lot of us do the swap:

Cooler thermo means more power through more timing. If combined with reprogrammed fan settings via Predator you can get some of that lost timing back all the time, thus yielding a little HP and a little throttle response. The gains are small but noticeable.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=30777

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66260

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=33642

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Here are some popular setting for the 180 degree t-stat which would be done through the use of one of the diablo sport tuning devices. I tend to set mine a bit lower than this, but these are probably the most common used.

1) Cooling fans AC off
High MPH HS fan on 199
High MPH LS fan on 190
High MPH MS fan on 199
Low MPH HS fan on 199
Low MPH LS fan on 190
Low MPH MS fan on 199

2) Cooling fans AC on
HS fan on 199
LS fan on 190
MS fan on 199

Reactions: wyo.hemi

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
Here are some popular setting for the 180 degree t-stat which would be done through the use of one of the diablo sport tuning devices. I tend to set mine a bit lower than this, but these are probably the most common used.

1) Cooling fans AC off
High MPH HS fan on 199
High MPH LS fan on 190
High MPH MS fan on 199
Low MPH HS fan on 199
Low MPH LS fan on 190
Low MPH MS fan on 199

2) Cooling fans AC on
HS fan on 199
LS fan on 190
MS fan on 199
I run this as well and my temps will run pretty much at the 190ish mark on highways and little higher in stop and go.

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,355 Posts
X2 what wyo.hemi said. I'm always between 185-195 depending on traffic and how hard I'm running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts