Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get new poly-vinyl(plastic) rivets to tighten up? I'm using my new riveter from Harbor Freight and can't get rivets to snug up. Do you pull them up with pliers first or is this a case of "you get what you pay for"? Sometimes I'll go through 3 rivets before I get one to work right. Any suggestions. What's another source for this tool that gives good results?

thanks,
Joe V.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I have the same tool and it works OK. The rivets are not very good at pulling the two pieces of material together. If you can get to the back and shove the material up tight against the tool it helps. Also sometimes it helps to take multiple "bites" with the rivet tool. Pull the nail a bit, let up and move the tool down, repeat, ....

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,031 Posts
I have the same tool and it works OK. The rivets are not very good at pulling the two pieces of material together. If you can get to the back and shove the material up tight against the tool it helps. Also sometimes it helps to take multiple "bites" with the rivet tool. Pull the nail a bit, let up and move the tool down, repeat, ....
I use the same tool. Works great with the above suggestions. I also soak the rivets in some hot water for a few minutes, prior to installing. This makes them less brittle and allows for a tighter seal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts