Dodge Challenger Forum banner

The Blind Spot - Setting Up Your Side View Mirrors

6K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  AirborneSilva 
#1 · (Edited)
I searched the forum and didn't see this posted / covered, so I figured it was appropriate (especially since the Driver Improvement Program will be offered again at work in a few weeks).

Since I work in Transportation, and we operate all kinds of machinery (especially large dump trucks), my employer "strongly encourages" we attend D.I.P. training every three years. Besides being a good refresher, it gets some "inattentive drivers" a few points reduced from their licenses.

One of the things that's covered - and often ignored - is the proper use of the side view mirrors. There not there for looking where you've been, or what the driver behind you is doing. They're actually there to reduce (or eliminate) the blind-spot every vehicle has. Naturally, with a large dump truck, the "blind spot" is about 10' wide and directly behind you. But with other vehicles (with rear view mirrors and rear windows), the side view mirrors can almost completely eliminate the blind spot that is blamed for so many accidents caused by unsafe lane changes.

Proper set up of the side view mirrors is pretty simple.
For the passenger side mirror;
Lean over your center console, with your elbow in the middle of the console armrest, and your chin directly over that elbow. Now adjust your right side mirror so that the horizon is in the middle of the mirror, and you can only see a sliver of the side of your car on the left side of the mirror.
For the drivers' side mirror;
With the window up, lean left until your head is lightly pressed against the window. Adjust the mirror until the horizon is in the middle of the mirror, and you can only see a sliver of your car in the ride side of the mirror.

It DOES take a little getting used to this, but you'll be AMAZED at how much better you'll be able to see the cars in what used to be your "blind spot" - especially in our Challengers with their enormous C-pillars.
Using this positioning, look in the corresponding side view mirror AND briefly over that shoulder (out the rear side window) before changing lanes.
IF you do this, you will not be surprised by a car in your blind spot when attempting to change lanes, and have to mouthe the words "My fault - Sorry!" to avoid an ugly confrontation at the next traffic light.
It really works!!!
:smileup:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Bud you are so right it does help.Also i adjust my mirrors when im backing into my driveway(its real tight) To see the road but then i reset my mirrors.It helps a lot.

Reactions: 09ChallengerDad
#4 ·
Good tips. I drove a full size 3/4 ton truck for 16 years and can vouch for how important side mirrors and the 'shoulder check' can be for a large vehicle. I could back that thing into any tight spot and only once ever hit a telephone pole.

#13 ·
Good Stuff... This is covered in our Alert Driver Training we have to do every year...

Reactions: MommaBetty
#19 ·
It works but you gotta give it time to trust that it is working. Having said that there's no substitute for paying attention to what's going on around you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.