The day you bought your Challenger

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussion' started by coolbreeze, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Screaming Agony

Screaming Agony Member Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I'll try to shorten it down a bit. My mustang was on it's last legs with electrical issues and some other things. My wife had been pushing me to get rid of it for months and I had been procrastinating bad. The final straw was a battery that refused to hold a charge on xmas day. I had been talking about challengers for probably a year or more but had never really decided "yes. That is what I'm getting". Just a dream really. For the preceding year my neighbor had been parking his orange 2012 next to my mustang as if to taunt me. Add all this up and it was settled. New year day I packed the wife up and headed to the dealer. On the way, we created our game plan. She would be the bad cop, and I the good cop. We agreed to work the salesman as a team and see what we could shake out. There was even a high five in the car (though she grumbled the whole time).

Originally I was looking at the 392's but was informed they had sold the last one and wouldn't have any for a good while. So instead they pull out the black on black 2015 RT shaker. I was sold the second I sat in it but there was no way I was saying that out loud. Their asking price was high so we haggled and I still wasn't satisfied, and neither was the wife. So I said I'd think on it and be back in within the week. Sales manager practically begged me to go for the buy and started offering deals. I stuck with my decision and left. 2 days later we went back and the negotiations began.

Monthly costs debate went like this: Salesman offered 679/mo. Wife said 550. He talked to the bank and said 620. She said 550. He talked to management and offered 610. She said 550. Sales manager came in and said "what if i change this 6 to a 5?" making 579. Wife said 550. He leaves for a good 20 minutes and says "565?". Wife says 550. He sighs and leaves. Salesman comes back in 10 minutes later and says "fine 550, I see why you brought the boss with you". Took about 6 hours total before I drove it home in the dark, terrified and thrilled the whole way. 1800 miles later and I regret nothing, but damn do I enjoy saying the phrase "550" now. That woman has one mean poker face.

coolbreeze, ply67cuda and MOPARMOM like this.
  2. ply67cuda

ply67cuda Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger R/T
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Blackberry
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Great story! Love the 550!

3. Yellie2010

Yellie2010 New Member

Media:
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    That's the way I feel! Only pretty sunshine days! Then I Cruz the Seawall!

4. Yellie2010

Yellie2010 New Member

Media:
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    CONGRATULATIONS and Thank u for protecting Americans!

5. Tiffs SXT

Tiffs SXT Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    High Octane Red
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Love reading all these stories! It seems we all felt like giddy little kids in the candy store, so to speak.

I had been wanting a Challenger since I heard they were bringing them back. But in 2008 I would only be 17 and there was no way I was affording one! So for years I stared in envy at any Challenger I could set my eyes on. In April 2014, I was jonesing real bad for a Challenger. I was currently driving a 2008 Avenger R/T and, while I really enjoyed it, it was not a Challenger. I took to Auto Trader and Craigslist and thought, well, maybe I can find a used one I could afford. Sure enough, I saw a gray 2012 SXT at a Chevrolet dealership for $21,500. I was pre-approved from my credit union for much more than that, so I thought, well, what the heck. I saw it and wow, what a beautiful car. However, I was seriously disappointed as soon as we pulled out of the parking lot on the test drive. I had the gas pedal to the floor and the car barely moved. It felt heavy and slow. I thought to myself, is this what all Challengers drive like? I decided to talk numbers but they wanted to get me out the door for over $27k! I said no way. I remember seeing a red one for sale at an Acura dealership down the road, so I decided to cruise over there. As soon as I pulled in I saw her and it was true love. I found a salesman and asked to take her for a test drive. This time, I was not disappointed! Barely a touch on the gas pedal and we were off like a rocket. Something had to have been definitely wrong with that gray one and this one was exactly what I had envisioned. I was set in my heart on buying her, but I knew not to be a fool and let them take me for all I was worth. It took a little while and a walk out the door, but I got her for a price I was ok paying and drove off with the biggest smile on my face that has yet to disappear, two years later. However, I have been jonesing real bad for a hemi now..

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    KeysB5Blue, MommaBetty and coolbreeze like this.
  6. Saetta

Saetta Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Color?:
    Stone White
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Tiffs, enjoy your SXT, the red looks great. No worries, you'll have that Hemi sooner than you realize! To be at such a great age and drive a Challenger must be a blast.

Have Fun -- Drive On!

KeysB5Blue and Tiffs SXT like this.
  7. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Northwest Indiana--30 minutes from Chicago
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Cool story Tiffany ! I feel your excitement. They really are one of the greatest cars to come out in a long time. The Hemi does have a bit more pep and there are plenty of used ones now as well. Enjoy! :)

Tiffs SXT likes this.
  8. MommaBetty

MommaBetty The dragstrip is open! Site Supporter Level 5 Member Relations Photo Winner! MOTM Winner! Heelz and Wheelz

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Scat Pack
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Maybe tomorrow I can post the day I bought my second Challeger!

9. coolbreeze

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    WHAT????!!!!!! You are kidding, right Betty?

MommaBetty likes this.
  10. michelob

michelob Member Military

Media:
    Albums:
    undisclosed Middle East FOB / Eureka Springs, AR
    Vehicle?:
    2009 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Wow...some of these stories are great!

11. MommaBetty

MommaBetty The dragstrip is open! Site Supporter Level 5 Member Relations Photo Winner! MOTM Winner! Heelz and Wheelz

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Scat Pack
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    No Dave, it is true. If all goes well, I will be trading for a new Go Mango Scat!

12. KeysB5Blue

KeysB5Blue MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016 Administrator Moderator Site Supporter Level 5 MOTY Winner! Photo Winner! MOTM Winner! Heelz and Wheelz

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Stop teasing us Betty!!!!

13. SFCR

SFCR Active Member Military Public Safety

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    You go Betty! WOO HOO!

MommaBetty likes this.
  14. MommaBetty

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Scat Pack
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Awh, the deed is done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wiseguy likes this.
  15. coolbreeze

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Ok so where's the story Betty??

Wiseguy likes this.
  16. MommaBetty

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Scat Pack
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    There is a new thread I posted, you should see it to the right on your home page screen!

17. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Member Site Supporter Level 1

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    Rallye
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Betty I looked all around the home page and I can't find it...I hope you put a pic up as well...I gotta see this thing!

18. MommaBetty

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Scat Pack
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    It is in the General Discussion area.

19. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Member Site Supporter Level 1

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    Rallye
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Gotcha....I'm gonna check now thanks.

20. James Brackett

James Brackett Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    My story....
    Been watching the Challengers driving around our town since 2007/2008. Been drooling over them since then. Drove my wife absolutely NUTS every time I would see one. I didn't care which model it was, I just loved the retro look, Dodge definitely payed homage to the 70's muscle care. Anyways back to driving my wife NUTS, she kept telling me no we can't afford one right now, wait till I graduate from school she would say, wait till we have this much in savings she would say(this number I might say increased bi-annually). I told pretty much everyone I knew that I would own a Challenger one day. It was to the point that for every birthday or Christmas my youngest son would have "A Dodge Challenger for my Dad" at the top of it(he was definitely on my side).

After years of harassment one day we were out shopping(not for a car) and we drove past the dealership in town and there sat the 2015 Sublime Challenger RT Plus Automatic(little did I know I would drive off the lot later that day). I said DAMN isn't she a beauty. MY wife says and I quote!! "Do you want to just go and get one?" I told her WOMAN don't play with me. She insisted that she wasn't. She said if you can get the payments around a certain dollar amount you can get it. Needless to say I accepted the challenge whole heartedly!!! I looked at some of the Scat Packs/Shakers, but I really loved the Sublime RT they had out front, so I went over to it and test drove it(of course my son came along). My wife was waiting at the dealership when we got back and she was smiling and shaking her head(she didn't know I went for a test drive).

Now it was time to conquer the challenge my wife set forth for me. They had the car listed at 35K, only had 840 miles on it, previous owner traded it in for a Hellcat. Not to sound like a jerk here but I told the salesman that I didn't need this car it was strictly a want and would sit under cover for 98% of the time. So I told him a figure obviously way under what my wife told me she wanted for a monthly payment. They came back a bit higher than what I anticipated of course I fired back with a counter. Needless to say we went back and forth a time or two more. I wound up paying 29K for the car and was $0.47 over what my wife told me she wanted our monthly payment at.

Now I am the proud owner of a 2015 Sublime Dodge Challenger RT Plus Automatic.

ply67cuda, Tiffs SXT and coolbreeze like this.