The day you bought your Challenger

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussion' started by coolbreeze, Nov 10, 2011.

1. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Northwest Indiana--30 minutes from Chicago
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    You did good man!! Loved reading that. Enjoy that awesome Challenger!

James Brackett likes this.
  2. Screaming Agony

Screaming Agony Member Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Very similar to mine. Except the tipping point was my wife saying "FINE! Trade in that POS mustang!"

ply67cuda and James Brackett like this.
  3. DJ2010RT

DJ2010RT Old School Look! Site Supporter Level 3 MOTM Winner! Public Safety

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2014 Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    So I have to go back to 2011 to start the story. I had 2010 Challenger R/T (STP). I had traded the R/T in for a 2012 Ram 4 door pick for many different personal reasons. From day one of the Ram I missed the Challenger. Dec. 2013 I find a good deal and trade the Ram for Dakota four door pick. Oct 2014 really missing my Challenger, but don't want to make two car payments. I find a 2003 Mustang Mach 1 with 28800 miles that I could pay cash for. It is an ok car, but not a Challenger. By November 2015 the Dakota is paid off. I sell the Mustang and start looking for a Challenger. I find a 2015 Challenger R/T with (STP) which is very much like my 2010, now I my getting excited, but not planning on pulling the trigger until late December. So I start watching the car on the internet every day. As I am watching the 2015 Challenger I look at the SPs. But they are more money then I really want to spent. I love the SPs that would be my dream car. Now for the story..........

It is now the last two weeks of December 2015 and because of a great job I get the two weeks between Christmas and New Years off. It is December 23, 2015 first thing in the morning. Enterprise picks me up to get my rental car that I am going to use. I come back to the house to check the internet. The check the dealer that had my 2015 Challenger, it was still on their website. I call the dealer to confirm that the car is still there and available. I happen to get the sales manager on the phone. So I figure I have the right man on the phone so I start to ask some questions about the car and the price. From the beginning of the conversation the guy acted like I was just a big pain in the%^&*. At first I try to explain it away, but the longer I talk with him the more attitude he got. I told him I was a serious buyer, but that did not help. When I got off the phone the excitement of the day was almost all gone. At this point I am trying to decide if I want to go to the dealer get that attitude for a car that I really like. Something made me jump back on the internet and I went to the dealership where I had purchased my 2012 Ram. There it was a 2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack in B5 blue, the cat of my dreams. I have a working relationship with the used car manager at the dealer. So I give him a call. I tell him I maybe interested in the SP. He said, "Dave if you are interested I will have the car put in the back and I will hide the keys." he went on the say "We can't keep the SPs on the lot, they are selling fast". This was my dream car! We now talk about price and he makes me a fair offer plus some good financing options. I told him I would come up to look at the car. I get in the rental car and go to Miami. I walk in the door and he sees me walking in. He throws the keys to one of the sales man and tells him to go get the SP with the 6 speed in the back. Well, he had put it in the back of the service department, so when it started up you could hear it in the showroom. He saw the smile on my face and he knew he had me. He said take it out for a ride see what you think. I get in the car, mental note: car has 3 miles on it. 10 minutes later I am back with 7 miles on the car. The manager meets me at the door and said "Well?" I said"Yep". He said "I figured that". I have finance starting the paperwork. The guy that went on the test drive with me came up to me and asked "any money down". I tell give him a number and he said just a couple of more minutes. I go into the finance office and sign my name about fifty times and they say "congratulations". I walk out and the manager is standing there and hands me the keys, and said "Enjoy". From the time that I pulled into the dealer until I pulled out of the dealer with the SP of my dreams was just about 2 hours. I have not regretted a second. What a car, the guy from the other dealer did me favor and he didn't even know it.

Small caveat; A couple of days after my purchase I get an email from the first dealer wanting to know if I am still interested in the R/T. I send him back an response, telling him that his attitude cost him a sale. I just checked the other day and the car that I wanted to buy originally is still on the lot for sale. Sometime things work out.

Chuck2235, DLoose, boyohboy and 3 others like this.
  4. Eugene3524

Eugene3524 Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 CHALLENGER
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed

[​IMG]

Today is actually exactly one year since I brought her home, it was the first challenger I have ever looked at to purchase and I was not even in serious search for a vehicle. I was driving 2 hours west of me to a junk yard to pick up a new driver door glass for my 2011 Grand Cherokee which someone attempted to break into and in process cracked the laminated glass. My wife has been dropping comments here and there for months now hinting how she liked the days she drives my Grand Cherokee when she drove our 6 month old at the time. The night before leaving for the junk yard I checked Auto Trader for closest Challengers for sale on my way down to the junk yard since there were not any for sale in my area. There was only one in close vicinity which was newly listed with no info other than price and mileage which did not bother me since I only wanted to sit in one and possibly take it for a spin to see if I even liked the feel of one. After my trip to the junk yard I dropped by the dealership which was a massive 4 block sized buick/gmc/chevy dealership, my original intention was to find the car on the lot, check it out in person, find a reason to not buy it and leave. Well after 15 minutes of cruising the lots, the car was no where so I bit the bullet and walked inside. The first sales guy the approached me was actually the guy who took the car in on a trade, it previously belonged to someone in the military who was expecting their second child and needed a bigger vehicle. The sales guy mentioned that the car was in one of their storage garages out back and that it was not cleaned or prepped as it was going to an auction the following day, I asked to see it anyhow..the rest is history...I fell in love the second I saw it pull around the corner. Left my Grand Cherokee on their lot for a week until I came back to pick it up, been more than happy with the Challenger ever since

this is a picture from the lot with the shark salesman in the background, (he was actually quite nice and not pushy at all)

[​IMG]

5. Steve Allange

Steve Allange New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I have been watching and waiting for the past 3 years before I finally was able to make it happen this past June. We moved to Indiana 3.5 years ago and I had been trying to get rid of my house in Louisiana ever since moving up here. On at least 2 occasions my wife had told me to cave and go ahead and just go get it, but I had my resolve. I had to get rid of this house. Well this past June it finally happened. The timing was good, but tight. We were leaving to drive home to New Orleans and other parts of southern Louisiana for vacation at the end of June. My intention was to bring the Challenger for the ride home and show it off everybody. The closing on the house pushed back dates twice and my plans to be able to get the car and take it home were starting to not look as good as they had previously. But I was determined and the timeframe was tight. The closing on my house was on a Monday. We were leaving on the trip home on the following Friday. The car that I wanted was 5 hours away in Michigan. I could not find any packages that I wanted anywhere near the Indianapolis area. Why are manual transmission so hard to find? Anyway, I get me a one way rental from Enterprise and headed up to Saline Michigan on a Saturday morning to pick up the new addition to the family. (2016 R/T, 6 speed, blacktop package, super track pack). I brought it home Saturday and then regrettably had to fly out the next day for the closing. That was hard to do, leaving the Challenger behind after not even one day with it! I was able to fly home on that Wednesday and at 5 am on Friday morning we were heading south. We being myself, my wife and my 15 and 11 year old sons. My wife was dead set on taking her car home, she was worried about space. The boys, well the boys were all in. They were ready to hit the road! My wife actually eventually realized that space was not even minimal issue. She was content up front, the boys had more than enough room and the trunk was plenty big enough. Actually, the trunk on the Challenger has more cubic feet of room than my wife's Maxima. All in all, it was a great trip and I had a blast on the road with the car. All the family and friends loved it...even my dad gave me the slightest nod of approval...and that meant more to me than all else.

Anyway...that's my story! Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    ply67cuda, boyohboy, Wiseguy and 7 others like this.
  6. Mopar joe

Mopar joe Challenger Classic Site Supporter Level 2 Photo Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Got a tissue? Nice story and thrilled you have your dream car. Hope you have many miles of fun!!!:cool:

James Brackett likes this.
  7. Bigpapa572

Bigpapa572 New Member

Vehicle?:
    '15 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    My interest first started 3-4 year's ago when a co-worker of mine brought in his R/T Classic in Plum Crazy Purple to work to show off. I immediately loved the look of it but at that time had no hard interest in a purchase. Fast forward a few years and I was channel surfing one day when I came across an episode of Fast N Loud where they were showing off a Challenger Scat Pack. Boom! Instantly in love and had to have one. With both kids now out of high school and owning their own cars, I no longer needed the family truckster. So I started doing internet research and ended up on the Dodge website to build my own car with the options I wanted. Off to the local dealer I went with my wish list in hand and giddy as a schoolboy! I knew there was no way the dealer would have exactly what I wanted sitting on the lot so I was flexible to different options. However the one thing I wouldn't bend on was the one thing he didn't have: a Scat Pack with manual transmission. I've always loved manuals and just couldn't see getting the Challenger with the automatic transmission. The salesman tried finding one from different dealers in the state but no luck. So he asked, "Do you want to order one from the factory?"
    "Why yes, yes I do" was my reply. He put my order in that day and said it would be 6-8 weeks for delivery. 7 weeks later it was delivered. Wow, do I love this car! There's a smile on my face every time I get into it. My wife: not so much. Although she supported me getting it, she is not a fan of muscle cars. She did tell me that one day while I was at work she tried taking it out for a spin around the block. I had the car backed into my garage and from what she tells me it sounds like when she let out the clutch and hit the gas, the car shot out of the garage like a bullet from a gun. She immediately backed the car back into the garage and hasn't been behind the wheel since. Not necessarily a bad thing......:D

8. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Member Site Supporter Level 1

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    Rallye
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Ha enjoy it...I know how you feel about the smile...I do the same thing. It's been a while since you really enjoyed a real car instead of the usual rice grinder. It's been a while for me I can tell ya...anyway good luck with your new ride ;)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Bigpapa572 likes this.
  9. Steve Allange

Steve Allange New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Great story! Yes, the 6 speed was not negotiable. It was going to happen no matter where I had to go to get the car. My wife has not driven it still to date. Back in the day she could drive a standard, but is worried that she may do something to make me 'not so happy' with this one. That's ok by me! In time when she is ready I am going to take her somewhere where she can tighten and tune up her skills. Her impression on the car is that it 'is a guy's car'. I do not believe that...but as your wife, mine is just not a fan of muscle cars. She just doesn't 'get it'. By the time that I met and married her, my muscle car days were over, and by that time in her life the whole true muscle car days were gone.

But those days are back now!

Bigpapa572 likes this.
  10. terry56

terry56 Member

Vehicle?:
    2015 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SXT Plus
    Color?:
    Billet Silver Metallic
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    my 2012 charger was paid off. so i was internet surfing the dealers web site for new charger.the challenger caught my eye.made an appointment to go look at it. it was not at the local dealer it needed to be transfered so we sat down did all the hagaling and paper work.the car showed up the next day/when i went to get it all the sales men where drooling over it. the girl i dealt with told them is was spoken for lol. any how when i saw car in person i was like wow look at that bad boy thus its name bad boy. she showed me all the goodies in the car went to the gas station topped off the tank and sent me on my way love this car.

11. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Northwest Indiana--30 minutes from Chicago
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Hahaha...The last part was too funny man! I was trying to picture this and couldn't stop laughing as I was telling this to my wife. :D

ply67cuda and Bigpapa572 like this.
  12. Bigpapa572

Bigpapa572 New Member

Vehicle?:
    '15 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Thanks Coolbreeze, glad you liked the story! While I'm certainly glad my wife didn't wreck, I'm sure it would have been something to see firsthand. I'm guessing her eyes were big as pie plates when the car started moving forward.

coolbreeze and boyohboy like this.
  13. jan

jan New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger R/T
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Furious Fuchsia
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    We had seen & liked the Challenger but they were more $$ than we wanted to spend. A friend stopped @ our house w/ a Deep Water Blue v-6 he was rebuilding, gave us a ride, we liked it & probably would have bought it right then if it would have been finished & we both dislike smashed up cars. So, we went shopping for a V6. It turned out most of the close cars in our area were R/Ts. There was a Pearl White 14 but we were not quite sold on R/Ts yet & hubby wanted me to see it. Well, that was gone, looked at an Hemi Orange w/o muffler or resonators @ a Ford/dodge dealership, tried hard but they wanted to give us a bag with the mufflers & resonators, the salesman was near tears when we left. My husband is a former car salesman & likes to deal. Then we looked @ an all white R/T plain as a refrigerator w/ no equipment, tried to get a price adj @ Lithia & stripes, I think they were about to throw us out. We boiled it down to a Toxic but we would have to wait for tires or qne dealer had a Deep Water & Furious Fuchsia. So, after a little haggling to keep the old boy happy, I chose the fuchsia. Then my sister bought a Hemi Orange. HAPPY DAYS

coolbreeze and Mopar joe like this.
  14. hessm70

hessm70 New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger SRT8
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    HEMI Orange
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    So my story starts in 1970, my dad brought me home from the hospital in a 1970 Challenger T/A Hemi Orange. Fast forward 37-38 years to when the 200* was being released. I didn't really have the bug till I thought about making a new tribute to my father's car. It consumed me for a few months till I was able to figure out how to manage getting what I wanted (then I had to figure out how to tell my wife-lol). At this time, Chrysler had filed for bankruptcy but some local dealers were still holding onto hope and not selling cars. It aggravated me so much I found a car fairly close and placed a internet bid. The next day I got a call saying, When are you coming to pick it up?" The next day my 12 year old son and I went to the dealership while my wife and daughter were away on vacation. I made the deal and then had to break it to the wife. It's all worked out and now I am on to the next steps which is adding a supercharger then comes the forged bottom end and upgraded drivetrain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. cdiddy

cdiddy New Member Military Public Safety

Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Hessm, that's just awesome... Great story!

16. cdiddy

cdiddy New Member Military Public Safety

Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Ok here is my story... Owned a Black 15 RT Shaker (loved it)... Have the wife and 2 (of 3) boys out for a cruise... End up beside a red Scat Pack on the 4 lane... I'm explaining to the wife that we "have nothing" for that guy ...she says "why didn't you buy one of those"... Couple weeks go by and I start hunting for a Scat Pack... Drive 2 hours North, pull into the lot and see a guy putting his license plate on "my" GoMango SP... On Labor Day we drive 4 hours South and purchase our own SP.... Still looking for that guy from the 4 lane!!!!

17. RobsChallenger

RobsChallenger Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Me too!

18. RobsChallenger

RobsChallenger Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Wow, you all negotiated quick! I test drove a six and decided felt sick. It took me like a month to get one at price I was willing to pay.

19. 10rallyechally

10rallyechally New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SXT Plus
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    My dad a Mach one. Certainly no challenger, but pretty neat for a mustang. He now has a 6-speed 2015 R/T. Loved reading your story

DJ2010RT likes this.
  20. MIKE SHAKER TORRES

MIKE SHAKER TORRES New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 challanger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Stone White
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I use to own a 2002 gmc Sierra. 6 1/2 fabtech lift 35 inch yokohama tires extra cab good truck but needed work both on the paint and the engine. The truck did not help itself when one day as my father was pulling up to my house in the truck all angry and pissed off at me (I mean his veins in his head were bulging) for borrowing his 2007 challenger the night before. lol I saw the truck I saw him and that day went and purchased my 2016 shaker r/t challenger. Now he begs me to use my car lol.