Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Here you go right from BT.

The Original Catch Can

Catch can’s are nothing new to the market place, but the Billet Tech Team is very proud of the fact that we introduced the very first turn key out of the box solution for the modern Hemi market place (Gen 3).

Tested on the way up to the South East Shin Dig in early August 2007, the Billet Tech catch can with our ORIGINAL DESIGN two chambered top caught approximately a quarter can of oil in just over 500 miles of one way driving. Members were so impressed with the piece that LX Forums own Mexi (Robert Scott) purchased the prototype right off the BT Charger. The Billet Tech Team took pre-orders that weekend and the rest is history.

Not all catch cans are the same. Especially when your competitors “borrow” your design, from identical mounting options to our original two chambered top. Their really is no innovation or originality with those other look alike products.

The fact is these “co-opted” designs have no new innovations nor have they been able to develop improvements on Billet Technologies’ original design. These types of companies live on a prior “name” and are in fact copying our design design patent. Some of these companies will even insinuate that “their” can is made by us. This of course is not the case and we at Billet Tech are always astonished at how low some will go to deceive you to make a sale.

When you choose to purchase The Original Catch Can manufactured by Billet Tech you are always assured of the following:

Unmatched quality! You will not find a better machined or finished product in the industry today. We will take the test against anyone!
Manufactured on-site at our facility in Lake Worth, Florida using only certified, domestic materials. Do you know where mail order warehouse is having theirs made, let alone what types of materials are being used?
Service now and in the future on your product. We don’t forget you after we ship your catch can out the door.
Continual improvement on a tried and tested design. We never rest on what we do and we are always creating new ways to improve the product be it upgrades in hose barbs, the first catch can in the industry period with a knurled bottom, or our original design hose ends for our braided hose kit.
Billet Tech creates and develops a turn key product for Chrysler Brand Cars and Trucks. We drive them too, therefore, we understand your type of car or truck and can answer questions intelligently. A parts warehouse can’t do that let alone the superstore mail order house. We private label for other brands using the same design with turn key options.
When considering the purchase of a catch can for your Chrysler or Dodge we hope you will consider purchasing from a company whose team drives your type of car or truck every day. We have been driving LX & LY based Chryslers since May of 2004 (2005 model years) Its easy to co-opt a design and call it your own, its another thing to be on the cutting edge constantly working to better your product and services to the market place. The latter is something The Billet Tech Team does each and every day.

https://www.213auto.com/product/Billet-Technology-Oil-Catch-Can

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think this will be my next mod... especially after reading this:

"Manufactured on-site at our facility in Lake Worth, Florida using only certified, domestic materials."

I'll never understand why it's even legal to sell anything in this country that doesn't meet those qualifications:4-dontknow:

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
25 Posts
A stupid newbie question. Would a catch can be appropriate for a base level SXT with the 3.6l engine? I can understand why those with the higher end hemi engines would take the extra precaution. I am not sure if the 3.6l engines have the same issue. Like I said, a stupid newbie question.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We have had plenty of members with SE/SXT Challengers who have added a catch can. For a mod that costs about $100, it's certainly one than will probably give you one of the largest returns in terms of keeping sludge out of your engine and increasing engine life. Even if it maximally adds only another 5-10 thousand miles to the life of your engine, that's another year's worth of driving for many owners.

·
Here Comes Trouble!
1,621 Posts
A stupid newbie question. Would a catch can be appropriate for a base level SXT with the 3.6l engine? I can understand why those with the higher end hemi engines would take the extra precaution. I am not sure if the 3.6l engines have the same issue. Like I said, a stupid newbie question.

2x on John's comment. And there are no stupid questions. I'm a little slow this past week. It's the hydrocodone prescription for my kidney stone.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
John - outstanding post - Major reps your way!

And I can tell you from firsthand experience they work amazingly well. I have an '03 Dakota with well over 300,000 miles. I didn't install a catch can on it until it was over 75K (b/c I didn't know any better). What did it for me was in performing routine maintenance I pulled the throttle body and examined the intake. Both were completely coated with "gunk". So I pulled everything off - cleaned it up, reseated the intake on clean gaskets and reinstalled the throttle body. And of course did some research and bought a simple catch can. My latest check of the system (around when it turned the 300K mark) has it much cleaner than it was the first time I took it off with less than 100K on it. I am a convert ever since!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
A couple of comments. It seems like keeping the throttle body clean would not be an issue because on the 5.7 hemi doesn't the PVC system dump in past the throttle body? I know I cleaned the throttle body on one of my sons previous cars but that was due to the EGR dumping in near the throttle body.

I'd love to see some testing done on catch cans. How much does it really prevent engine knock at full throttle, if any. How much cleaner does it actually keep the intake and top end of the engine, if any. My guess is it would cost big bucks to do this long term testing and until then we are all just guessing.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
A couple of comments. It seems like keeping the throttle body clean would not be an issue because on the 5.7 hemi doesn't the PVC system dump in past the throttle body? I know I cleaned the throttle body on one of my sons previous cars but that was due to the EGR dumping in near the throttle body.

I'd love to see some testing done on catch cans. How much does it really prevent engine knock at full throttle, if any. How much cleaner does it actually keep the intake and top end of the engine, if any. My guess is it would cost big bucks to do this long term testing and until then we are all just guessing.
I think you are right - on my Dakota the PCV dumps ahead of the TB but in our Challenger that aspect isn't an issue for the TB its still a problem for the intake.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I used to do some junk yarding in the past and pulled several older 4 barrel intakes off of cars. It was amazing how gunked up they were, lots of rough stuff left behind. They were wet intakes though, meaning the carb dumped into them so the fuel air mixture was running through the intake. I often wondered if the ones that looked real bad were running rick, had stuck chokes and other things that made them worse than normal. On our cars the fuel gets injected near the valves. I'm not sure if that makes any difference in how soon the intakes manifold gets gunked up or not.

·
Dazed & Confused
35,049 Posts
You still get some even with the catch can. I've had my intake off a few times and there's always some residue. It will also build up somewhat on the back side of the throttle body but you can't see it unless you pull it. I still feel better knowing that several ounces of oil is being kept out after 4 or 5k miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry, more stupid newbie questions. Does installing the catch can void any warranty at all? I am not very mechanically inclined so I would have someone else install it. For those that did not DIY, did you use a dodge dealer or a shop that specializes in custom engine work? (not that this is much of a custom mod but just curious if people thought dealers could handle it).

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Its a super easy installation and does not void a warranty. For grins you might want to do a google or wiki search on Magunson-Moss Warranty Act and read all about how to handle after market parts and warranties.

·
Registered
137 Posts
thanks for the extremely helpful post, just picked up my challenger yesterday, half a day of scouring forums and kept seeing catch can refferences all over, this explains it perfectly

·
Registered
289 Posts
My issue after installing my can this week is the mesh filter doesn't want to stay up in the top of the can. Having quite a time getting it back up there with the O ring and all.

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is an old post but one of the best explanations of a catch can. Being an engineer I understand the principle behind it. But is it really needed for a "normally" operated vehicle? I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee with 5.7L and 48K miles. I also own a 2019 Grand Cherokee with 5.7L and 20K miles. No issues with either. A normally operated vehicle i.e. Sunday driver is a catch can really necessary and what are the "real" and "measurable" benefits of operation (not just I dumped X amount of fluid monthly, etc.)? Or is this something along the lines of other "upgraded" components for performance/racing or just "a visual" option? Doing some research they are not inexpensive but what is the ROI (return on investment)? Bottomline - improved fuel economy? Otherwise it is just a "nice to have" addition.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Why wouldn't they install these from the factory?

:4-dontknow:
Simply because it has to be dumped on a regular basis, and many owners don't properly service their cars, and if you do not regularly dump it, it will be an engine disaster!

So the factory is not going to install something they cannot take full responsibility for and end up being liable.

·
Administrator
45,247 Posts
This is an old post but one of the best explanations of a catch can. Being an engineer I understand the principle behind it. But is it really needed for a "normally" operated vehicle? I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee with 5.7L and 48K miles. I also own a 2019 Grand Cherokee with 5.7L and 20K miles. No issues with either. A normally operated vehicle i.e. Sunday driver is a catch can really necessary and what are the "real" and "measurable" benefits of operation (not just I dumped X amount of fluid monthly, etc.)? Or is this something along the lines of other "upgraded" components for performance/racing or just "a visual" option? Doing some research they are not inexpensive but what is the ROI (return on investment)? Bottomline - improved fuel economy? Otherwise it is just a "nice to have" addition.
Bottom line I would rather not have that junk coating the inside of the intake or depositing on the intake valves. But hey that is me do what you want.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts