Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the late 60's, Plymouth took notice of how muscle cars began to deviate from their original recipe of cheap thrills.

Thus, the Road Runner was created to bring that formula back into perspective. Plymouth paid Warner Brothers $50,000 to use the name and likeness of their Road Runner, as well as its famous “beep beep” horn, which Plymouth paid an additional $10,000 to develop.

So, Plymouth set out to develop a back-to-basics muscle car. Everything essential to performance was upgraded; everything not essential was left out. The Road Runner was based on the Belvedere and early models didn’t even have carpet, and just a rubber boot for the floor mount shifter so that a bench seat could be used.

The standard engine was exclusive to the Road Runner and was a 383ci V8 rated at 335 hp and 425 lb-ft of torque. For an extra $714, Plymouth would install a 426 Hemi rated at 425 hp.

In a car that could carry 6 people, it could also really haul! Capable of 13.5 second quarter miles its first year.

Standard transmission was a 4-speed manual and 3-speed TorqueFlite auto was optional. Later in the year, the Inland shifters were replaced with more precise Hurst shifters.

Sales were underestimated at first year run resulted in the Road Runner taking third place amongst muscles cars right behing the GTO and SS 396.

Dodge, after seeing the success of the Road Runner released the Super Bee late in the year.

Source

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,724 Posts
Yeah this is so true the base model was the coupe, the 1/4 windows did not roll down they were pop outs, even carpet was optional.The inland shifter was huge and pretty vague.

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
Yeah they were way more basic muscle car than the current Core. As I cruise around with my AC, power windows, power door locks, power seat, listening to tunes on my stereo I don't feel like I'm roughing it too much compared to the old Road Runner LOL.

·
12,990 Posts
Its a shame that a lot of members here never had a chance to drive an old school core or muscle car, compared to today's standards it was really roughing it. Air-conditioning? That was almost unheard of also considered a drain on H.P. A lot of the other things we take for granted like power windows and a good stereo were rare, those cars were truly for performance only.

·
Administrator
53,724 Posts
Its a shame that a lot of members here never had a chance to drive an old school core or muscle car, compared to today's standards it was really roughing it. Air-conditioning? That was almost unheard of also considered a drain on H.P. A lot of the other things we take for granted like power windows and a good stereo were rare, those cars were truly for performance only.
Not only that but the steering was numb at best, the brakes were horrid and tires had no bite, Man it was a blast.

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
Air-conditioning? That was almost unheard of also considered a drain on H.P.
Heck on the few cars that I bought that came with it I took it off, I didn't want to be loosing any of that HP LOL.

·
12,990 Posts
Heck on the few cars that I bought that came with it I took it off, I didn't want to be loosing any of that HP LOL.
We called our air-conditioning 4/60 air-conditioning which meant 4 windows open at 60 MPH. LOL
I guess we are truly blessed to have 12 second machines that are comfortable.

·
Administrator
53,724 Posts
That old a/c compressor took a lot to turn it hp wise.It sure did work well though.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I owned a 70 with a 440 6bbl. They were pretty crude compared to today's cars. Mine was a 4speed, power brakes but all drums, and manual steering with a 4.10 Dana out back. Some of the early super stock cars didn't even have window mechanisms, a seat belt buckle held the window up and you released it to put it down. That's a true core car.

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
all drums, and manual steering.
Don't you just love the combination of a nose heavy big block car and manual steering LOL, by the end of a couple of weeks of driving it you have arms like Popeye. :smileup:

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Don't you just love the combination of a nose heavy big block car and manual steering LOL, by the end of a couple of weeks of driving it you have arms like Popeye. :smileup:
A B-body Mopar with a cast Iron V8 block, manual steering, manual 4 wheel drum brakes, add a 3 or 4 speed manual transmission, and an AM radio with a single speaker.......that wasn't core but hard core, LOL! :smileup:

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The manual steering wasn't that bad as long as tags car was moving at least 10mph. Parallel parking was pretty much out.

·
12,990 Posts
The manual steering wasn't that bad as long as tags car was moving at least 10mph. Parallel parking was pretty much out.
Yeah, driving one of those cars wasn't for the weak or feable.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I almost rear ended someone after street racing a Vet.
MOPARs could run with most anything out there but with brake fade stopping was another story.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Old cars rule! The new ones are so nice nowadays, even standard features today like power windows and A/C were big time options back then.

The steering on my Nova is very numb, you don't feel a thing, it just turns the wheels. The old drum brakes I used to have were horrible, they slowed the car down, but not very quickly. I put a set of disc brakes on the front and now it feels much better. Street tires were also a joke, just a smokeshow. Had to put stickier tires on back. And the old cars just have that wicked idle due to the camshaft overlap that the new cars just can't duplicate.

My dad's buddy bought a 69 Roadrunner years ago when they were still new. He got the 383 with a 4 speed and 4.10 gears out back. He used to light the tires up all the time. My dad said you're going to need new tires soon if you keep doing that. He said that's the point, I bought this car to do just this, light the tires up, go fast, and have fun! Haha!

I know the 1999 Mustang Cobra R was a true "core" type muscle car. Those had no radio, no A/C, no power anything. Just a big engine, manual trans, and a lot of power. They ran high 12's stock back in 1999 which was really fast for a factory car at that time.

But nowadays all the cars have tons of stuff on them standard. Just not the same. It'd be cool if you could order something like that and save a ton of money, even over the current "Core" Challenger. But those days are long gone.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,463 Posts
Those are all good points Carl. I would even like to order a truck with just three things, a heater, AC, and basic radio. No power windows, no plug-ins for anything, nothing but those basics. Wonder how much it would save you without those gadgets? Think of all the things that WOULDN'T ever need fixing! Guess it is just a dream.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Yep, all those fancy gadgets are nice but once they break and need repair it'll be more $$$. None of those are really necessary for those of us who just enjoy the driving experience.

It's funny too how you can change the entire tune of the car without even popping the hood. Just plug in a device under the dash and adjust your timing, fuel curve, and lots of other stuff. With my Nova you need to pop the hood, hook up a timing light, loosen the distributor, turn it one way or the other, maybe pop the cap and rotor off to adjust the springs or weights, hook up a vacuum gauge to the carb to tune the idle mixture, etc. And once you set it, it's set. It won't adjust based on what a computer thinks. The cars nowadays are so much different than the old ones. It's really remarkable how far they've come in just 40-50 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts