Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to go to Crawford, NE yesterday, pick up a few supplies, and head home. WELL, with me and the Scat, and add beautiful weather.......I somehow ended up chasing a train to Ardmore, SD! Was leaving the gas station and heard the train whistle. That was all it took! I headed north and tried my best to catch the train! It was a very LOW traveled road, but of course I didn't speed......too much! The 60's channel was on and the song "Leader of the Pack" came on. "Betty is that Jimmy's ring you're wearing?" I was reminded of what happened to Jimmy in that song, so I tried controlling the speed, a little..

Never drove through Ardmore before, as it is an out of the way highway. Ardmore was founded in the late 1800's, and the steam trains stopped there for water. When they were gone, the trains still came through, but no stops. The last population count in Ardmore was in 1980, and it was 16! President Calving Coolidge stopped there in 1927. They were trying some new dry land farming in this area. There are at least 25 old houses there and more abandoned vehicles than you can count. Never saw so many ramblers in my life. I understand that most people just abandoned their houses and left everything! There is still a volunteer fire department there!

Would not want to visit there on Halloween!!

94771.JPG

94811.JPG

85201.JPG

94801.JPG

94851.JPG

Caught this loaded coal train headed south out of Wyoming, passing right by Ardmore.

94931.JPG

94961.JPG

94991.JPG

95001.JPG

Hard to explain how it feels to be in a place where time just stopped.....

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
95241.JPG

More Ramblers! I honestly can't remember thinking about that model car in recent history!

95251.JPG

Hudson

95291.JPG

More Ramblers!

95371.JPG

95411.JPG

95451.JPG

95501.JPG

95571.JPG

95651.JPG

This was some beautiful, spacious wide open country to drive in, and I hope to do it again next spring when this will be green!!!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,991 Posts

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some old metal that is not that bad looking restoration Wise.
Agree. That could be do to the fact that this part of the country is pretty dry, and low humidity. No salt ever saw these vehicles. It is hard to describe how it felt to look at all these abandoned houses. I drove down one street, the sign was still there, 5th street. It was just a dirt trail....

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I miss the way it was.
Thanks for the trip back in time.
I noticed one was a Hudson.
Yes, and in this pic below (reposted from above) the one on the far right is a 1953 Hudson. Such a cool body style. Can't believe all the Ramblers and two Hudsons! The WHOLE town had old cars sitting around everywhere!

95291.JPG

·
Registered
62 Posts
More Ramblers! I honestly can't remember thinking about that model car in recent history!

Hudson

More Ramblers!

View attachment 265114

This was some beautiful, spacious wide open country to drive in, and I hope to do it again next spring when this will be green!!!
I am also a Photographer seeing your Photos makes me wish I could get back to doing it since my Stroke in 2017 havent been able to do much.
Hopefully soon I can resume... My Nikon Gear is tired im sure of being kept in the Gear Cases...

Love the Photos you shared... Hope to see more/

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
3,195 Posts
Interesting pic's Betty! I'm thinking somebody has to currently own that land and those cars and other vehicles, wonder who? There might be an interesting story behind this town. The ones with the glass missing are probably rotted out in the floorpans and moldy so they'd be too costy to restore - too bad because there are some interesting fixer uppers there. I like that '67 C-20 pickup - that I could restore fairly easily with all the parts they make for them. :)

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am also a Photographer seeing your Photos makes me wish I could get back to doing it since my Stroke in 2017 havent been able to do much.
Hopefully soon I can resume... My Nikon Gear is tired im sure of being kept in the Gear Cases...

Love the Photos you shared... Hope to see more/
Thank you, I hope you can come back and do some photography. I love driving the challenger to new unusual spots and getting these pics!

Reactions: shooterjgs

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting pic's Betty! I'm thinking somebody has to currently own that land and those cars and other vehicles, wonder who? There might be an interesting story behind this town. The ones with the glass missing are probably rotted out in the floorpans and moldy so they'd be too costy to restore - too bad because there are some interesting fixer uppers there. I like that '67 C-20 pickup - that I could restore fairly easily with all the parts they make for them. :)
I wish you could see the whole town. There are vehicles all over! It is like they all just decided to move away and left everything behind. I wish I would have had more time to spend there. Maybe a return trip this spring will turn up some real gems!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Betty - thanks for sharing those...VERY cool pics! I love places like that, although usually they were at high altitude and I was in a Jeep ;)

As for Ramblers...you NEED to get down to Elizabeth, Colorado and go to the Rambler Ranch. It is the most insane car museum I've ever been to. Ramber, Nash, AMC, and a few others. I took or went with the Chevelle Club I ran numerous times, and the collection just continues to get better. The real treat is the car paraphernalia there - it is amazing!

I took my dad there the last year he was able to get out and he loved it. We had a really nice day.

It used to be open to clubs only on the weekends, so you'll have to check, but I'll bet you'd have a ball.

The website is pretty awesome too!

The Rambler Ranch.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
View attachment 265107

View attachment 265108

Hudson

View attachment 265109

More Ramblers!

View attachment 265110

View attachment 265111

View attachment 265112

View attachment 265113

View attachment 265114

View attachment 265115

That Cadillac Eldorado would make a great restoration car...IIRC, when restored, they're worth a little bit. Now that our weather has calmed down a bit, I hope to get some cruising time in as well. How about a Halloween cruise-in at that town?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The pics are super cool, your car is beautiful!
It says Go Mango but my eyes see Torred, must be the lighting.
I love my 392 T/A but yours is the first Challenger I've seen where I get a little feeling of envy....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
How cool are these pics, thanks for sharing! That one with the Challenger next to the old caddy it looks like it may be providing the old caddy some comfort. Very cool!

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That Cadillac Eldorado would make a great restoration car...IIRC, when restored, they're worth a little bit. Now that our weather has calmed down a bit, I hope to get some cruising time in as well. How about a Halloween cruise-in at that town?
Good idea. I belong to a Black Hills Challenger club, might suggest that for next year!

Reactions: SFCR
1 - 20 of 30 Posts