Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of you read that title and I imagine, being members of this forum, that you instantly heard a V-8 growl in your head. But hold that thought.

I take you back to last week when my wife told me about her picking up my son at school. She was strapping my 3 year old into his car seat as my 6 year old was standing on the sidewalk and not yet climbing into his seat in her caravan. She knew what he was doing. There is a dad there that drives a Porsche Panamara Turbo. It was parked in front of my wifes van and my son was waiting for it to start so he could hear the exhaust. After he heard it he got in the van and said "sounds good". I haven't heard it at full war cry but it does sound pretty promising upon start up. While it has been said that it resembles something a dermatologist might remove from someones buttock, I think we can all agree that a 4 door twin turbo 500+ hp V-8 with all wheel drive and a dual clutch transmission that can turn a mid 11 quarter mile bone stock is pretty awesome. The fact that it sounds good I believe is an integral part of a performance car's spirit as well.

We here know that our Challengers are a little on the conservative side sound wise from the factory. Blasitn' Bob I'm sure owes his vacation home to that fact. So it's an easy fix then. But I wondered after my wife told me this story, what does the future hold for the sound of a performance car? Will my car loving son be denied the pleasure of hearing the beautiful exhaust note we have always taken for granted?

Anyone here that is a Formula One fan and watched the opening round of the season with the new V-6 hybrid turbo engines knows what I'm talking about. They sounded like commercial lawn mowers. I wonder if they piped in a better engine note to the drivers earpieces to make them feel better like they do through the sound system on many street cars now.

I got to talkng to the Panamara owner the other day and he said "I love the sound of your car". I do as well and just hope we are not seeing the end of an era...for my sons sake and ours.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I got to talkng to the Panamara owner the other day and he said "I love the sound of your car". I do as well and just hope we are not seeing the end of an era...for my sons sake and ours.
Growing up in the late 70's and seeing all of those late '60's cars as I grew up and watching what garbage was coming out of Detroit in the 80's and 90's, I never thought that we would be back in an era of high horse power cars.

It took a long time for the car industry to find the way to crank out the HP we want and get the MPG the government requires. I think we will continue to see more and more high HP cars in the future. They might not be V10's or V8's, but I think we will be in good shape. At least I hope so!

·
Dash Cam Guy
2,277 Posts
Future cars (some do already) will play the exhaust note through the stereo and outside the car it will be silent.
:negrep:

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,355 Posts
The Ford Focus ST actually channels the exhaust note into the cabin. It is a pretty neat trick and sounds OK but you know it is a four banger. I'm hoping that while we may no longer see 6.1 or larger V8 engines perhaps we will see smaller V8 twin turbo engines. I do think the days of the HEMI are numbered:sad:

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
We are living in the end days I do believe. Oh sorry, v8's that is. LOL Well, as for the other, who knows, if so, strap in and drive that mighty Hemi right through the gates of .....

where ever it is you are going and enjoy the ride!

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
The EPA says....."get to know and love the exhaust note of the Toyota Prius people".

:i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sorry double post

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
All of you read that title and I imagine, being members of this forum, that you instantly heard a V-8 growl in your head. But hold that thought.

I take you back to last week when my wife told me about her picking up my son at school. She was strapping my 3 year old into his car seat as my 6 year old was standing on the sidewalk and not yet climbing into his seat in her caravan. She knew what he was doing. There is a dad there that drives a Porsche Panamara Turbo. It was parked in front of my wifes van and my son was waiting for it to start so he could hear the exhaust. After he heard it he got in the van and said "sounds good". I haven't heard it at full war cry but it does sound pretty promising upon start up. While it has been said that it resembles something a dermatologist might remove from someones buttock, I think we can all agree that a 4 door twin turbo 500+ hp V-8 with all wheel drive and a dual clutch transmission that can turn a mid 11 quarter mile bone stock is pretty awesome. The fact that it sounds good I believe is an integral part of a performance car's spirit as well.

We here know that our Challengers are a little on the conservative side sound wise from the factory. Blasitn' Bob I'm sure owes his vacation home to that fact. So it's an easy fix then. But I wondered after my wife told me this story, what does the future hold for the sound of a performance car? Will my car loving son be denied the pleasure of hearing the beautiful exhaust note we have always taken for granted?

Anyone here that is a Formula One fan and watched the opening round of the season with the new V-6 hybrid turbo engines knows what I'm talking about. They sounded like commercial lawn mowers. I wonder if they piped in a better engine note to the drivers earpieces to make them feel better like they do through the sound system on many street cars now.

Stig, when I got my windows tinted shortly after I got my car, by a well know company, I had my cars tinted there before. I also had the Blastin Bobs reso deletes. They had the same Porsche, that you described in their shop. When I went to pick my car up, they gave me nothing but complements on my car, on how it looked and the sound.:smileup:

As far as the future holds. With CAFE and Chrysler saying they will discontinue the Hemi in the near future, it seems days of the V8 are coming to an end.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
The EPA says....."get to know and love the exhaust note of the Toyota Prius people".

:i_rolleyes:

I'd rather be deaf than have to listen to a Prius! I like the way government knows better than you do what is good for you.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw an article on the Yahoo home page at work last week about the new Hellcat Challenger. I read the article and had to read the comments below of course for their usual entertainment value. Every time I do that I am reminded of a favorite George Carlin quote "Think of how stupid the average person is and by definition half of them are stupider than that" I love that he said "stupider". Anyway, there was a guy who was agitated by the big engines in musclecars and the like and stated that no engine should be bigger than 3.5 liters and should have a redline around 9000 rpm thinking few would rev them that high so gas and I guess the world would be saved. While that engine description is great for an exotic sports car like a Ferrari (i'm sure that was not what he was picturing), a musclecar is a different and beautiful thing in it's own right. He questioned the reason for these big low revving engines with an obvious disdain towards them. Now I don't have an "account" on Yahoo to post a reply to his comment nor do I care to but if I did it would be a one word answer...Torque!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a hopeless old school automotive romantic. Electric cars make me sad.:sad:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
People have been predicting the end of the V8 since about 1975. Will it happen? We will see.

I have a Corsa Extreme on my car. It sounds good but not the same as an older V8. It's not better but it's not worse, just different. I think that trend will continue, they will sound different in the future.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,475 Posts
I'm a hopeless old school automotive romantic. Electric cars make me sad.:sad:
X2 to that!!!! Susie, It was difficult to watch that video! Couldn't make myself watch the last run. How could he get so excited about that car??? Yuk, I feel like I need to take a shower!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
X2 to that!!!! Susie, It was difficult to watch that video! Couldn't make myself watch the last run. How could he get so excited about that car??? Yuk, I feel like I need to take a shower!
HAHA Betty! You are too funny!

·
Registered
144 Posts
The dragstrip is ruled by V8, many with forced induction, NASCAR is ruled by the V8, people can keep talking crap about the V8's demise, and surely our politicians and environmentalists are going to take them off the street. But the serious enthusiast isn't giving them up anytime soon, not in your lifetime

I appreciate the sound of any high performance engine, motorcycles, Indy, formula 1, my brother in laws R8, power sounds good in many forms

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of Sky Is Falling stuff. IMO. Are you forgetting the fact that none of us are missing out now? We got it covered. If your really worried,, keep the car and get Arrington to drop in a Forged 440... LMA0 thar will seer us to our end... lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts