• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone

I have a few questions that I would like to put to you all.

First I want to point out that with the new interior introduced in 2015 and in the Blue Pearl color I think the Challenger is one beautiful car.

At the moment I have narrowed it down to two models.

The most driving I do is from home to work and back again, about a 10min drive and going with buying or leasing is still up in the air, but that is another question for later.

Some background, my family are totally into Ford and especially Chevy. The 2001 Mustang that I driving now has been great and it is the first Ford that I have owned in my 30 years of driving. What I am worried about that only twice has someone my family tried Dodge. My Grandfather back in the 50's and my Dad with a 1983 convertible, both were horrible and total lemons. The stories that I have heard would make you cringe. My Dad still jokes that the dealer had that car for repair longer than he did.

What I'm looking at now -

- SXT PLUS RWD 3.6-LITER V6 24-VALVE VVT ENGINE 8-SPEED AUTOMATIC -B5 Blue Pearl

- R/T RWD 5.7-LITER V8 HEMI® VVT ENGINE 6-SPEED MANUAL -B5 Blue Pearl

Question -

How are these cars holding out for you all and have you had any issues and should I jump into the deep end of the pool and just got for it?

Thank you all for your help
Cool.... there is a pole setup available - I'll add that as well. :)

·
Premium Member
12,084 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to look at a New Mustang. There is a really sharp orange V-6 at the Ford dealer in South Point, OH. It is a left over 15 model he is asking 25K for it pretty loaded. I have owned MOPARs my whole life and I have driven 12 Fords as company cars over the past 33 years plus 4 Mopars as company cars. There is not wisker difference between all of them in realibility.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Drove a new bright yellow Mustang Avis gave me as a rental while traveling for work in Charlotte, NC. It was terrible compared to my '16 SPS. Dash was ugly and switches looked like they were slapped in there by a Radio Shack tech. Also waaay too small in there.

·
Premium Member
12,084 Posts
Drove a new bright yellow Mustang Avis gave me as a rental while traveling for work in Charlotte, NC. It was terrible compared to my '16 SPS. Dash was ugly and switches looked like they were slapped in there by a Radio Shack tech. Also waaay too small in there.
OK but it was not a lemon was it???

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I,m gonna say that if you are going to jump into the deep end, you might as well make it a Hemi.

My drive to work is only 10 minutes too. I always loved having that short of a drive (I even come home for lunch every day since it's so close). But man, since I have gotten this car, I wish my drive was longer! LOL It's just such a joy to drive- all that power combined with that comfortable interior. Just makes driving a pleasure.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Back in 84 the only cars you could buy new with the odds being in your favor where made in Japan. Which is why I kept fixing up and driving late 60's and early 70's Mopars back in those days. The Challengers have been really great since they came out and now in the 9th year of pretty much the same car....very very few leave the factory for a life of lemonaid.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Welcome aboard. Also noted your forum name, KJB are the same as my initials.

In regards to your concerns, I think reliability across the board no matter what the manufacture is about the same. Even BMW, Honda and Toyota have a few clunkers now and then. Being on my second Challenger, I cant complain about anything. No issues with either. I was a Chevy guy in the past but when it came time to get a new fun car, Chevy blew it with the Camaro IMO. It was just too small. The styling of the Challenger is awesome and these cars really grow on you. Also with the Challenger, the back seat is useable, assuming you don't have four adults over 6' tall in it. My son (11 & just over 5') plenty of room behind my wife's seat.

Also if you are set on the B5 Blue, you wont have that option for 2017 so you will need to find a left over or used 2015/2016.

Best of luck with your search and hope you find the one that works and fits your needs/wants best.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Between these two options, if money is not a major deciding factor, I'd go with the R/T.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,293 Posts
Welcome to the site! I say drive both, see which one suits you better... but like others have mentioned you only have a choice of used or new "leftovers", so you might not want to put it off too much longer...

With that said I voted for the R/T 6 Speed.... it is what I drive and it is awesome!

·
Registered
61 Posts
These cars are night and day difference from the vehicles you mentioned. I have had 2 challengers 2013 rt auto and my current 2016 rt auto never an issue with either one pull the trigger with confidence my friend

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
This is my second Challenger. I had one little problem with my SRT and Dodge fix it right away. I would go for that R/T,you will simply love the power in that Hemi,and i don't think that it will be too hard on gas mileage for you.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,312 Posts
I didn't vote in your poll, because my need for speed shouldn't affect your personal decision.:oops: JMO: Both models are excellent! I'm with Shanes 13 on this one. Take both for a LONG drive, then pick which suits your needs best. Good luck, they're both beautiful cars. :D

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,096 Posts
Welcome to the Z from FL. Lots of great info here. Enjoy !

Get the RT if you can afford it. You won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
I test drove both the Mustang and Camaro. Sardine cans. Big people cannot drive these cars for any length of time. I can drive cross country in my Challenger and just stretch on gas stops.

-John

·
Old School Look!
3,391 Posts
I can't speak for the auto type vehicle. The 6 speed on the other hand, is a blast to drive. Some say, but in traffic what a pain. Not me, I love my 6 speed. The idea to have just that little extra control....JMO:)

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
^ I agree, my 2010 R/T 6 speed was a blast to drive!

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
My opinion, perfromace wise, the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger are pretty even. A lot of Chevy and Ford guys think the Challengers are slow and heavy. They are wrong. Little doubt in my mind the 5.7 hemi is going to be a more fun car. The V6 is nice car also if power isn't important to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts