Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or maybe not, but hopefully somebody can help me out.

I have been chatting with a lady over the past few months about Challengers, her daughter is getting ready to purchase one in Texas so she has been hammering me for info and whatnot. Anyway, she told me the dealer (at no extra charge) is going to... And these are her words... "Install a light on the inside of the car that will cause her insurance to go down."

When she said that I kind of just gave her a blank stare as I've never heard of this before? Is anyone aware of some sort of interior light upgrade that would have anything to do with your insurance? I'm hoping it's not some dealer tactic to hose her daughter into she thinks she's getting something fancy... She said she would talk to her daughter further and try to get a better explanation.

Anybody have ANY clues on what that might be?? :4-dontknow:

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,481 Posts
Not a light. Could they mean plugging in a monitor to the OBD port that monitors driving habits that some of the insurance companies are hawking on commercials. To me that's a double edge sword.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that after she left, I generally see her every few days so when I catch her again I'll inquire about that. I just didn't think that was something the dealer offered right on the lot... That "snapshot" from Progressive comes to mind.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
can't deny...I'm confused for sure!!! that must be some light in the car that's going to protect it and her and her passengers.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I was also thinking about the 'SNAPSHOT', but that's not something the dealer offers....sounds to me like he's offering a hose job to make a sale.
If she were my kid I'd either be on the road to help her buy the car or tell her to run like the wind from that dealer.
Tell the lady to have her daughter sign up on the Z and do some research prior to purchase - most questions can be answered better here then most dealers.
Hopefully the girl isn't in a major hurry and doesn't "need" to buy the car right away.
With all the TX members here on the Z I don't doubt someone might offer to meet her and give her a hand at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
....and what about the Trunk Monkey that'll bop the thugs on the head when they try to steal her ride! That's a $100 Option....isn't it???

Sorry.....I have nothing on this Interior Light thing. Keep us posted Dave. Who knows, maybe we're missing something!

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,606 Posts
The only light I can think of is an alarm LED, and having a passive alarm will lower your insurance.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Must have been thinking about her real hard, she just left.

Anyway, I mentioned the snapshot thing and she said, "All my daughter told me is that the dealer informed her the car was back in the service dept getting the light installed, so if that was the one she wanted it would have that on there for here at no extra charge."

She then mentioned the dealer was trying to hit her for a $2000 advertising fee, which I promptly told her she better laugh her way out of the dealership on that one. The only other info she could give me was it's a 2014 black SXT on a lot near Dallas and there were 2 other red ones as well. I'm going to try and see if I can figure out exactly which lot this is, because this thing just has me incredibly intrigued now.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
If I put that "Snapshot" or any other device in my cars, my insurance would really go up.

Between the GPS tracking of your phone, the camera speed traps and these snapshot devices I am starting to feel like a "rat in a cage".

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only light I can think of is an alarm LED, and having a passive alarm will lower your insurance.
I hope that's what it is. I just googled that and it does mention some insurance carriers offer a discount for having the passive alarm system. Also I did give her the link to the Z and told her to pass it on to her daughter, let her know all the info she would need is right here! :smileup:

·
Registered
548 Posts
The regional advertising fee was very common in the DC metro area, where advertising costs are high. As much as $2K was tacked onto the MSRP by the mfg. It was made clear when negotiating a deal the advertising fee was off the table.

The solution is to purchase where the fee is not included or not as expensive.

If the dealer is trying to collect this but its not on the window sticker, go elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
See these dealers see a young lady and I hope they not trying to rip her off.

·
Believe . . . . . . just believe!
6,055 Posts
If she is near Dallas, I'm sure Tony (MoparX2) would be willing to help her out. He's a great guy and always willing to help.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
The regional advertising fee was very common in the DC metro area, where advertising costs are high. As much as $2K was tacked onto the MSRP by the mfg. It was made clear when negotiating a deal the advertising fee was off the table.

The solution is to purchase where the fee is not included or not as expensive.

If the dealer is trying to collect this but its not on the window sticker, go elsewhere.
Why on Earth would I, or any customer, be asked to contribute to the dealer's advertising costs? I don't think they'd want to help me pay for gas and maintenance if I asked. :4-looney::4-dontknow:

Reactions: petriTL

·
RELIVN
301 Posts
This guy thinks that he has a very gullible young lady on the hook and is selling snake oil. Just have her ask the insurance company. Never heard of such a thing!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts