Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1707 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
26,581 Posts
Saw this on social media...so dead on it was imperative that I share....

I was raised in Brooklyn, NY. Sometimes we had financial struggles growing up, but I never knew it. There was always food on the table and the power and gas were turned on.

You thought your parents were rich if you went to A&S or EJ Korvettes, Alexander’s.
Eating at restaurants was rare and a treat for a special occasion. If we did it was Pizza or Chicken Chow mein on a Friday night after our Mom went food shopping.

You took your school clothes off as soon as you got home and put on your play clothes. We had to do our homework before being allowed outside to play. We ate dinner at the table as a family.
We went to school everyday. (Umm we also had to walk to school, there was no taking or picking you up in the car lol!
TVs didn’t have remotes, we had to actually get up to change the channel.
We played Mother May I, Hopscotch, Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers, 1,2,3 Not It, Red Light Green Light, Red Rover, Hide & Seek, Truth or Dare, Tag, Jump Rope, Baseball, 4 square, Kick Ball, Dodge Ball. Girls could spend hours playing Barbies or house, I skated all day or rode my bike. We played stoop ball with our spaldeen. We all played football/stickball in the street or at the park!! Yelling “Car” was a thing.
Staying in the house was a punishment, the only thing we knew about "bored", ... “You better find something to do before I find it for you!" We ate what mom/dad made for dinner or we ate nothing at all. There was no bottled water; we drank from the tap, the water hose (hot) and the playground water fountain. We ate the fruit off everyone's fruit trees, without any concern of pesticides. We watched cartoons on Saturday mornings.
We weren't AFRAID OF ANYTHING. If someone had a fight, that's what it was and we were friends again a week later, if not SOONER. We played in the streets. The street lights were your curfew. We come home if we heard daddy whistle . School was mandatory and teachers and police were people who you could TRUST and who were to be respected. We watched our MOUTHS around our elders because ALL of our Aunties, Uncles, & cousins were also our PARENTS (they COULD & WOULD WHOOP US ALL!) and you didn't want them telling your PARENTS if you misbehaved.
These were the good ole days. Kids today will never know how it feels to be a real kid. I loved my childhood...!!!
Kids these days unfortunately, will never understand how we grew up!!!
The Good Times The Best Times

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
25,742 Posts
Saw this on social media...so dead on it was imperative that I share....
That was very similar to my childhood, just that I lived in the country and did all those things. Never was in the house. When company came, the kids went outside. We were never allowed around the adults, but then we didn't WANT to be around them. We had adventures like playing in the bale piles, exploring the junk piles, walking down to the irrigation ditch, and playing all those games above. It was a WONDERFUL childhood. I feel very blessed to have experienced it!

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
25,742 Posts
1661 - 1680 of 1707 Posts