Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
337 Posts
What do the 392s average for gas mileage?

Edit to the post. 15 mpg in the city and 25 on the highway.

Sometimes I forget that I have Google on my phone. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Gas mileage not so much.....
Isn't gas mileage relevant to foot weight?

I could get pretty good gas mileage from mine if I could at least run one full tank of gas without heavy footing it, but that's what owning a Challenger is all about, IMO, that is, feeling that Adrenalin rush from acceleration! :)

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,644 Posts
Isn't gas mileage relevant to foot weight?

I could get pretty good gas mileage from mine if I could at least run one full tank of gas without heavy footing it, but that's what owning a Challenger is all about, IMO, that is, feeling that Adrenalin rush from acceleration! :)

I can't imagine ever getting decent mileage ever again after turning off MDS, installing bolt on mods and installing a Hemifever custom tune. I used to average 24 mpg, but now I'm thrilled if the EVIC pushes 21 mpg coasting down a freeway downgrade. But there's no way I would ever revert my Challenger to stock and lose out on how much fun it is to drive now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I average 10 mpg since my cam swap in my 5.7l, I just want to install another gas tank in the Trunk so I can carry twice the fuel.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
View attachment 260752
I can't imagine ever getting decent mileage ever again after turning off MDS, installing bolt on mods and installing a Hemifever custom tune. I used to average 24 mpg, but now I'm thrilled if the EVIC pushes 21 mpg coasting down a freeway downgrade. But there's no way I would ever revert my Challenger to stock and lose out on how much fun it is to drive now.
I honestly never considered gas mileage when I bought the Challenger, we used to own a Honda Civic that actually got close to 40 miles highway, but it was a Honda Civic, performance seemed great as long as there were no other cars around! :)

So I honestly never even checked the actual gas mileage before and after the MDS disable when I added the tune and I totally agree with you, I would not revert it back. My wifes 2019 SXT Charger gets close to 30 MPG highway so when we're after good long trip gas mileage, we rent a car to keep the mileage lower on hers, we're pathetic! :)
Ry

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,644 Posts
My wifes 2019 SXT Charger gets close to 30 MPG highway so when we're after good long trip gas mileage, we rent a car to keep the mileage lower on hers, we're pathetic!
Last April I surrendered my 2002 Subaru Outback to the State of California for $1000. It was averaging 16 mpg, had a confirmed cylinder leak, leaking coolant, and likely had blown head gaskets. I bought a 2013 BMW X1 to replace it as my DD, largely based upon it's reported average mpg. On the trip home (2 hour drive) I was hitting 35 mpg! Haven't seen the number since! Because I drive my BMW the way I drive my Challenger, the BMW averages maybe 27 mpg on the highway.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Gas mileage, IMO, is not really a consideration for this thread because if you are considering increasing your performance with bolt on upgrades you can pretty much forget gas mileage. If gas mileage is the reason you bought your 5.7L R/T maybe you should have bought the 3.6L SXT instead. Performance upgrades seeking more power not only lead to less gas mileage even if you granny drive the car, but the extra power is exhilarating to experience, so you tend to put your foot in it more than you would when it is 100% stock.

My upgrades have shaved over an entire second off of my 0 ~ 60 times from first taking ownership of the car, now almost every time I drive the car, sometime during the trip I will accelerate hard at least once, and there goes the gas. I know I reference 0 ~ 60 times as a litmus test of increasing your performance but it is the most convenient way to judge whether an upgrade works or not. They also give you a comparative to other vehicles on the road so you know where you stack up in comparison to their capabilities.

0-60 Times | Find 0 to 60 & Quarter Mile Times Car Specs

Zero to 60 time runs is something you have to practice at and get familiar with, especially how each road surface affects your tires ability to get traction. If you spin getting off the line that is not something to be bragging about, and the more you spin off the line the worst your time is. How many Challenger commercials have you seen on TV, with the car emerging from a blue cloud of smoke, just burning up the tires. At first I thought that was pretty cool, but when a Honda Civic with front wheel drive can take your power monster from stop light to stop light, it is not cool anymore.

If you don't think that can happen to you, you are in serious denial! Everyone has their own wants and intentions regarding these cars, and why they bought them in the first place, so you have to decide what you really want out of it, because bolt on upgrades are not cheap! It does not matter how much horsepower you have, if you cannot get that horsepower to the road. Ry

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
"Black Beauty" got an unplanned performance upgrade, a 4" Aluminum 1 piece driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop!
It is rated at 1,000+ horsepower, balanced on a 9,500rpm balance machine, supposedly good for 200mph, but mine won't even go that fast, nor do I even want to! For my 5.7L HEMI it is definitely overkill but there is a difference between the 2 piece OEM and this single shaft, as there is less resistance in the engines HP getting to the rear end! :) Ry

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
337 Posts
"Black Beauty" got an unplanned performance upgrade, a 4" Aluminum 1 piece driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop!
It is rated at 1,000+ horsepower, balanced on a 9,500rpm balance machine, supposedly good for 200mph, but mine won't even go that fast, nor do I even want to! For my 5.7L HEMI it is definitely overkill but there is a difference between the 2 piece OEM and this single shaft, as there is less resistance in the engines HP getting to the rear end! :) Ry
A co-worker told me he did the same with his 5.0 mustang and felt an immediate difference in how the car handled in the most positive of ways. Glad yours is working out well, bud. Dave.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Ran consecutive 4.4 second 0 ~ 60s today, 62 degrees outside with a full tank of gas, with nothing but bolt on upgrades. Ry :)

Reactions: CaptScat345

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
what tires do you currently have?
I'm slowly working my numbers down, but still full stock, 245s on the back, and manual that im slowwwwwly getting better at
Sorry for the late response I did not see you had posted.

On the rear I am running the 295 Pirelli P-Zero, Ultra High Performance Sport with a UTQG rating of 220AAA, this rating is relative to the hardness of the rubber composition, the lower the number the softer the rubber. The softer rubber composition won't last as long as the higher #s. On the front I am running 245 Pirelli - P-Zero All Season Plus, these are also Ultra High Performance tires but All Season, they have the same Pirelli brand on the side of the tire, which match front and rear, but they have a UTQG rating of 500AAA, a harder rubber composition that will last longer.
The Pirelli combination are excellent in the rain as well.

If you want to hook off the line on the street you need the rear tires down in the UTQG range 220 or lower but not higher, so if you prefer a different brand of tire shop using the UTQG rating as a guide. I previously had some Mickey Thompson Street/Comp tires on the rear but they had a UTQG rating of 300 and they spun so bad I could not get good 0 ~ 60 times from them, but the Pirellis hook really good for my level of power. The same Pirelli tire is not going to hook good on the 700+HP Hellcat, but they will hook good on an upgraded R/T. Ry

Edit: If you need help with rims and tire combinations, IE widest tire a certain size rim can handle. Helpful Tire Info - BUDNIK

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

Not bad for bolt on upgrades!
Little spinning off the line but the road was only clear for one run so I did not have time to practice against the road conditions. Ry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Now here is a really good thing about increasing your power of an R/T 5.7L HEMI, starting at 2015 you have the same 8HP70 transmission and 8 bolt driveshaft that the 392 Scat Pack has. So you can increase horsepower to around 485HP with no worries at all regarding the transmission and driveshaft HP handling capability.

Seeing as how the 392 Scat Pack is rated at 485 HP and 475 Ft. Lbs. of Torque.
What's the saying "Live and Learn!", I was looking back and saw this statement I made, now it is true the OEM two piece driveshaft can handle the horsepower, but the rubber support holding the carrier bearing in place, not so much. This statement was before I tore mine loose under the car, so how can a 5.7s upgraded power level possibly cause OEM driveshaft failure, since it should be below the 485HP and 475 Ft. Lbs. of power that the 392 is running on 245 tires of course.

Beefing up the rear end to maximize off the line traction does come with consequences, that simply you may be going past the design specs, and the reason there are 245 tires on there in the first place. But the first thing some of us want to do is get wider rims to run wider tires, so if that is in your mind, plan to do more than that to beef up that drive line. Ry

·
Registered
499 Posts
What's the saying "Live and Learn!", I was looking back and saw this statement I made, now it is true the OEM two piece driveshaft can handle the horsepower, but the rubber support holding the carrier bearing in place, not so much. This statement was before I tore mine loose under the car, so how can a 5.7s upgraded power level possibly cause OEM driveshaft failure, since it should be below the 485HP and 475 Ft. Lbs. of power that the 392 is running on 245 tires of course.

Beefing up the rear end to maximize off the line traction does come with consequences, that simply you may be going past the design specs, and the reason there are 245 tires on there in the first place. But the first thing some of us want to do is get wider rims to run wider tires, so if that is in your mind, plan to do more than that to beef up that drive line. Ry
My plan for next year was a whipple, last year was a cam, this year was to get ready for the whipple. 1 piece driveshaft, differential brace (Already upgraded to the LSD), torque converter and a couple other things. Well, my wife works in a nursing home and tested positive for COVID, we did the quarantine, she had some prescriptions for pneumonia and she asked if I was still planning on the super charger next year, I said yeah, then she said to get it done this year because next year we could all be dead. But yeah, there are some things you want to do before you really start boosting power. Last year's mods made 434 W.H.P. that is already close to a Scat Pack.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
My plan for next year was a whipple, last year was a cam, this year was to get ready for the whipple. 1 piece driveshaft, differential brace (Already upgraded to the LSD), torque converter and a couple other things. Well, my wife works in a nursing home and tested positive for COVID, we did the quarantine, she had some prescriptions for pneumonia and she asked if I was still planning on the super charger next year, I said yeah, then she said to get it done this year because next year we could all be dead. But yeah, there are some things you want to do before you really start boosting power. Last year's mods made 434 W.H.P. that is already close to a Scat Pack.
My wife is going through Covid right now, she was supposed to go back to work yesterday but it has been moved to Monday as she kinda relapsed 2 days ago but is getting better.

she asked if I was still planning on the super charger next year, I said yeah, then she said to get it done this year because next year we could all be dead.
Yeah that's a scary thought, I am taking care of my wife and so far I seem to be OK, but I really don't know how I won't get it myself, although I've tried to be as safe as possible, wear the mask, wash the skin off your hands, etc.!

I have been doing the bolt on upgrading from the beginning and I also have been considering going the supercharger route but the Magnuson is what I am leaning towards, I can install it myself and that's what I like.

Dodge Challenger 5.7L V8 HEMI Supercharger System (2015-2019 ECU Unlock Required)

Still it is a chunk of money and would be the most expensive single mod yet, but also the most added horsepower as well. But for myself I hate turning loose of that much money all at once so it is not set in stone but I am considering it. Ry

·
Registered
499 Posts
My wife is going through Covid right now, she was supposed to go back to work yesterday but it has been moved to Monday as she kinda relapsed 2 days ago but is getting better.

Yeah that's a scary thought, I am taking care of my wife and so far I seem to be OK, but I really don't know how I won't get it myself, although I've tried to be as safe as possible, wear the mask, wash the skin off your hands, etc.!

I have been doing the bolt on upgrading from the beginning and I also have been considering going the supercharger route but the Magnuson is what I am leaning towards, I can install it myself and that's what I like.

Dodge Challenger 5.7L V8 HEMI Supercharger System (2015-2019 ECU Unlock Required)

Still it is a chunk of money and would be the most expensive single mod yet, but also the most added horsepower as well. But for myself I hate turning loose of that much money all at once so it is not set in stone but I am considering it. Ry
Good luck to you and her!

41 - 60 of 71 Posts