Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently started selling Modern Muscle throttle body's and have spent some time on the dyno with them and tuning. Seems its 50/50 on somebody thinking they are good or waste of time. I've dyno'd a bunch on stock tuned motors that show a little loss, and rarely a gain with the Diablo preloaded tune files. But these things really need the correct tune to show results. And its not due to airflow with these speed density systems.

I'm getting 12 to 18 hp gains on the 392's with the 87mm unit. And really nice drive ability increases. 12 hp gains on the 5.7's and much better drive ability. I've been seeing better results than many of the cai's.

You can search my posts on here and see the dyno write up I did on an 85mm BBK on my wife's 2010 5.7 Challenger. I switched it out last week to an 85mm Modern Muscle and got 6hp and 9tq increases in segments of the rpm curve and 3 hp peak more. That's over the BBK dyno which already had some gains. And the drive ability was tons better on that car.

Here's a dyno I did last week on an '11 392 Challenger.

https://www.facebook.com/HemifeverT...1005161992830/583016201791722/?type=1&theater

My point is, don't discredit the throttle body as a mod from previous feedback. I've got no doubt you'll enjoy the throttle body along with my tune.

http://www.hemifevertuning.com/category_s/65.htm

·
13,007 Posts
The consensus around here is pretty well split down the middle on H.P. gains on Throttle bodies. The one thing that seems to ring true is the improvement of throttle response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ended up grabbing a modern muscle throttle body and trinity tuner in one shot for my 2011 SRT here last week from HemiFever. The car has a CAI on it when I bought it so there was no need to grab one of those also. As far as HP gains, I have never dyno'd the car so I dont have any definitive numbers...but I can absolutely guarantee that drivability is GREATLY improved...even my wife immediately commented on how the "gas seems so much smoother now" :D when she drove the car. It made a HUGE difference in the feel of the car especially as far as throttle response is concerned.

I can also tell you that Hemifevers tune is gonna KILL my gas mileage, because now hammering from 2nd and on through 3rd is just INSANE!! It seems like its all one giant gear that pulls like a mack truck now (provided you can keep the ass end from breaking loose entirely)

I have been driving muscle cars for about 2o years now, and last week was by far and away the biggest difference I have ever seen in a 15 minute mod install!!! Thanks for a KILLER UPGRADE Sean!!!!

·
Registered
23,118 Posts
Good information Hemifever and those are some of the best dyno results I've seen so far from a throttle body install. It looks like tuning is the key to getting the most out of them.

·
Registered
23,118 Posts
Would the gain you are getting be a 12 - 18 hp gain over and above that found with a diablo (or custom tune). In other words if the 93 diablo tune were to pick up the 15 Hp advertised on a 392 would I be able to reasonably expect another 12 Hp over that if I were to add a throttle body and your custom tune service?

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
Would the gain you are getting be a 12 - 18 hp gain over and above that found with a diablo (or custom tune). In other words if the 93 diablo tune were to pick up the 15 Hp advertised on a 392 would I be able to reasonably expect another 12 Hp over that if I were to add a throttle body and your custom tune service?
Same question I have, Jon!

·
Vendor
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You really can't take a claim on say a preloaded tune that is 15 hp, and then a custom tune 10 more and a tb 12 more, etc. Cuz the gains that are claimed are generally "somewhere" in the rpm curve. Its not always peak. One way to think about it is a preloaded tune adding 15 hp from 3000 to 4000 rpms. Then a custom tune adding 10 more there, then maybe 10 more from 5000 to 6000. Then a throttle body being 6 more in 3000 to 5000 rpms, etc. Its all different hp gains for different segments of the rpm band.

But what I will say is I rarely see a tb gain on stock tune or preloaded tune. But once I do my piece on it, the tb will respond.

Here's a dyno I did recently on an AWD 5.7 '14 Grand Cherokee. I know, not a challenger, but its just a dyno of pre and post throttle body on a 5.7 and it already had my tune on there.

https://www.facebook.com/HemifeverTuning/posts/584861491607193

Reactions: shooterjgs

·
Registered
356 Posts
This is looking promising, but Im not a final horsepower/torque guy. Ten HP/TQ differences at peak RPM isnt going to move me. Now if you can show at 3800 -4300 RPM a 15-20% increase in the curve then take my money...Please.

If I can realize 40 more horsepower in the powerband Im going to pull on you much faster than 10-15 hp/tq overall at peak.

·
Vendor
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lucky13 you'll be happy with my tune and a tb on that 6 speed car. I have no doubt. It'll shift so much smoother and the drive ability will be a lot better. Plus it'll have a nice bump in power.

·
Vendor
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My current tunes should be good. I've already put the details in there in preparation for a tb addition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.