Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know how many of you are Indianapolis 500 race fans but you probably all know about the positive press and marketing advantages of supplying cars to be the Official Pace Car each year. I've personally been to the Big Race 20 times but it has been awhile. However, I still follow it.

With the advent next year of the new Challenger Hellcat and also a new SRT Challenger, I'm thinking it is time for Gilles and Chrysler to show the world what Mopar can do with a pace car. I got to checking and it has been almost 20 years since there has been a Chrysler product as an Indy 500 Pace Car - 1996 with a Viper. In fact, in the last 25 years there have only been 2 MOPAR machines at Indy - both Vipers. The past 12 years have been all Chevy - either Corvettes or Camaros. Time to end this streak! What say ye?

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yes, ending the Government Motors streak would seem to be a no-brainer. Hellcat would be my choice but I may be biased. ;)

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
I agree it's long overdue that the Challenger should get a chance at it, seems like GM has had a lock on it for too long.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
I totally agree...let's get a Mopar back at the Indy....heck...I'd even volunteer to drive it, free of charge!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Yes, absolutely a Chrysler/Dodge/SRT Pace Car would be Great! I, of course would love to see any Challenger model. How does 'what' get picked? Is it by vote, greasing palms or volume of sales? Lou.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
The past 12 years have been all Chevy - either Corvettes or Camaros. Time to end this streak! What say ye?
How does 'what' get picked? Is it by vote, greasing palms or volume of sales? Lou.
I would vote for either greasing palms or maybe a contract... or both! Get the Hellcat in there!!! :smileup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
With Chevy and Honda the only engine suppliers I doubt an outside make would find its way in, although there have been rumors of Chrysler considering badging an engine (Chevy badges an Ilmore made engine). SRT was the presenting sponsor of the GP of Baltimore in 2012. Gilles has been quoted as saying they were looking at the IndyCar series as a series that fits the SRT demographic (more so than NASCAR). So there is a slight precedence chance of future involvement, but I doubt it. I think the Viper is their focused program for the future.

link to srt GP sponsorship

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,713 Posts
With Chevy and Honda the only engine suppliers I doubt an outside make would find its way in, although there have been rumors of Chrysler considering badging an engine (Chevy badges an Ilmore made engine). SRT was the presenting sponsor of the GP of Baltimore in 2012. Gilles has been quoted as saying they were looking at the IndyCar series as a series that fits the SRT demographic (more so than NASCAR). So there is a slight precedence chance of future involvement, but I doubt it. I think the Viper is their focused program for the future.

link to srt GP sponsorship
Exactly what I thought, Chevy is probably not going to let it happen.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Challenger did pace the big race back in '71. Didn't turn out so well.

I would love to see the '15 pace next years race.

challenger pace car story link
I was there. Was just a kid and my Dad took me along. We could tell something had happened but couldn't quite see from our seats. Tragic. Who fits a car that will hit 120 mph with drum brakes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts