Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I inquired if I could pay the difference and get either a dual roller or aftermarket performance of some king instead of the weak looking replacement chain, Chrysler approved of course. Have not heard back yet if I'll be able to.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Get it done, had mine done a couple of weeks ago. No problems what so ever, dealer had the car for about 4 hrs.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Get it done, had mine done a couple of weeks ago. No problems what so ever, dealer had the car for about 4 hrs.
Lucky you. Good thing you're not back in NM having it done like me. They told me it would take 7.5 hours. It actually took a little longer. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Shoot it took them three days to complete mines but I told them take your time I cant get the car until that 3rd day anyways.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I inquired if I could pay the difference and get either a dual roller or aftermarket performance of some king instead of the weak looking replacement chain, Chrysler approved of course. Have not heard back yet if I'll be able to.
I PMed you about that. Lou.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Got mine scheduled. Asked if it was same day in and out. Was told "...a couple of days".... confidence is low. :smiledown:

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
I have recently seen where Manley is now offering a MUCH better chain set up for our Gen3 Hemi's but it involves some spacers for the timing chain cover and I HIGHLY doubt ANY dealership will approve installing one....other than that....I don't know of any "better" chain package that is available to us right now.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
So glad I got a 6-speed manual.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mine's in the shop now :/

·
Registered
362 Posts
Swell, I took it in at 8:00am and they have to keep it overnight!
What could have gone wrong?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I asked about my appointment next week. They said it is likely two days, even though Chrysler calls it out as a 4 hour job. I too shall take the optimistic view, please do not rush on my car... and they have done a few now. Hoping for the best.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mine is in the shop as of 8am today. The service manager indicated "one day job", but we will see.... prepared for two days.

·
Registered
575 Posts
First I've heard of this. (With mine in hibernation over the winter, I spent little time on the forum.)

I'm curious why the timing chain would be different on the AT vs. manual version of the 5.7. I wouldn't question different cams. But, a different timing chain? Granted, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff!

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
First I've heard of this. (With mine in hibernation over the winter, I spent little time on the forum.)

I'm curious why the timing chain would be different on the AT vs. manual version of the 5.7. I wouldn't question different cams. But, a different timing chain? Granted, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff!
The information I have shows the old part numbers are the same for the timing chain, the chain guide and the chain tensioner between the 5.7 with and without MDS.

The general conclusion drawn by many (yet unproven through Dodge documentation) is that the MDS system somehow causes an unbalance in the cam which stresses the chain and guide, ultimately resulting in the failure.
The manual cars with 5.7 don't have MDS.

There are several threads with hundreds of pages to read on this subject if you get bored and need some reading longer than "War & Peace".........

·
Registered
575 Posts
... The general conclusion drawn by many (yet unproven through Dodge documentation) is that the MDS system somehow causes an unbalance in the cam which stresses the chain and guide, ultimately resulting in the failure....
Thanks. I should have guessed it would be related to MDS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts