Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the title says it all, if you personally installed your top mounted supercharger, like Magnuson, Whipple, etc. and will share your experience doing it, I want to hear from you?

These kits today have changed quite a bit since the earlier threads to be 100% complete kits that can be self installed, this will complete my bolt on upgrading.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Things I need to know:

#1 Were you able to lower the supercharger on the engine by yourself or did you enlist some help with that?
#2 Will a Hemifever acquired unlocked ECM work with the HP Tuner Programer supplied with the supercharger kit? (I've inquired from the source, but not heard back yet?)
#3 Did you use a stock throttle body or go with a larger one, if so what brand and where did you get it?,
#4 Mating up the CAI?

As time goes by I will have many more questions, before I undertake anything like this I want to be able to install it in my sleep, that has happened with every performance upgrade I have installed to date. I dream about installing these things beforehand, I always have regarding every difficult thing I have ever done.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I’ve installed the Magnuson twice now (2 different cars), learned a lot from the first install. Magnuson’s instructions are pretty good, you can download the manual from their website. All color photos and step by step instructions. However, I did things in a different order than what is in the manual since I don’t have a lift, I did it with car up on ramps. First thing I did was unbolt the radiator mounts to move it out of the way to drill and pin the crank, it’s also easier to get the fans out at this point. Then move the radiator the other direction to slide the heat exchanger up in front of the radiator and get the heat exchanger mounts in. While all the covers are off the underneath of the car, now is the time to install the coolant pump and run the hoses too. Instead of routing all the coolant hoses up the driver’s side like the instructions say to, I ran the hose from the passenger side of the exchanger up through the passenger side of the engine compartment, makes for a cleaner install. I also drained the coolant and bypassed the heater tubes under the manifold while the car was on the ramps. The provided instructions are good but it helps if you can think outside the box a little. The blower is a lot easier to put on the engine with the car down off the ramps, but still get someone to help lift it.

The tuning that Magnuson provides is ok, not great. When I originally had the blower on my 5.7 I was seeing some knock and It could be unpredictable at times with boost surging and “light switch” tendencies with the boost coming on too sudden. The tuner at Magnuson seemed like he could care less and I was just being a pain in the ass. They also wouldn’t turn off the skip shift. When I installed the blower on the Scat earlier this year I got hold of Sean at Hemifever since he has tuned 3 other cars for me with great results. Gave him all the specifics on what I have and he sent me a start up tune that was better than the final tune I got from Magnuson. Some back and forth with revisions and everything was dialed in quick. Wish I would have thought to contact him when I had the 5.7, but I was too concerned about voiding the 3 year warranty from Magnuson.

Get a wideband O2 sensor and if you have a trinity T2 get the interface cable so you can log AFR along with the other parameters. I have the AEM 30-0300 and it works great. A wideband O2 sensor is critical to get tuned properly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A Diablo unlocked pcm probably won’t work with HP tuners device. Just sell the HP tuner and recoup some some money. I think the device they provide with the kits now is only for loading calibrations and not much else.

And yes, get help lifting that supercharger!

I’m using the stock throttle body. I sure any custom tuner could tune for any throttle body you would want to use. I’m using the Mopar cold air intake and no issues hooking up to it.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@doc440

Thank You So Much!!! Just the type of information I am looking for! Ry

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Magnuson is the supercharger I intend to get.

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,392 Posts
Ry, are you buildiing around the stock internals or replacing with forged? Looking forward to your build thread when it happens!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ry, are you buildiing around the stock internals or replacing with forged? Looking forward to your build thread when it happens!
Stock internals, simply because I am curious as to the power just bolt on upgrades installed on a 5.7L can actually deliver. I know that limits the boost I start out with, but there's always later, Lord Willing I live that long! Ry

Oh, I still want to use my AFE Momentum setup, I just have to get that figured out.

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,642 Posts
I haven't done a Magnuson but have done a couple of Pro Chargers on Mustangs. From reading you're threads you have enough mechanical skills to do it.

You might have a good point about the weight but can probable find some one to help you lower it.

Download the instructions so can see what you up for. Probably some videos on you tube also.

I would only run the supplied tune long enough to get it to Dyno tuned.

I honestly don't think you will have any problems.

Reactions: RyzRT

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
I put mine on. Followed the manual for 90% of it. Also had my son help me lower it on. Went pretty easy all in all.

Edit: I also sacrificed 2 original intake manifold bolts and cut the heads off them. Screwed them back in to serve as a guide when lowering the blower on. Not sure if that's in the manual or I got the tip here but it helped tremendously

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
1,171 Posts
I never installed one on a Modern Challenger only old School BDS, GMC, Weiand, B&M, Superchargers, on old School Hot Rods. Wish someone made a Street Legal low boost Super Charger for the 3.6 and not talking about a Pro Charger Style.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed my EFORCE myself and it was pretty easy other than the intake manifold bolts were a major pain in the ass to torque down, I had to grind down a socket just for it. Definitely get help to lower it on the gasket correctly, I tried to rush it and ended up having to re seat it again. Other than that everything was pretty straight forward, just a bit time consuming. It took 2 of us rookies about 16 hours to finish but it was a fun learning experience along the way.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,392 Posts
I put mine on. Followed the manual for 90% of it. Also had my son help me lower it on. Went pretty easy all in all.

Edit: I also sacrificed 2 original intake manifold bolts and cut the heads off them. Screwed them back in to serve as a guide when lowering the blower on. Not sure if that's in the manual or I got the tip here but it helped tremendously
Smart! How did you remove the headless bolts? Left hand twist drill or did you just gator-grip it?

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
Smart! How did you remove the headless bolts? Left hand twist drill or did you just gator-grip it?
I just screwed them in by hand,not tight, and unscrewed them by hand. They are long enough that there was plenty to grab and unscrew

Reactions: RyzRT and HemiMetal

·
Registered
7 Posts
  • I installed a 2.8 Kenne Bell on my 2010 RT this spring. I did the install alone including lowering the intake onto to block. I like working alone on projects, but I have to say that I was concerned about that step when the time came. I did however come up with a solution that worked well for me. The kit included new intake bolts, so I used the stock intake bolts as guide pins by grinding the heads ... basically creating threaded pins out of them. I used 4, and easily lowered the heavy intake down evenly and squarely onto the gaskets without disturbance. That was the only point that could have required two people.
  • My ECM is not locked being from a 2010 ... so can't speak to your second question.
  • The stock 81mm throttle body can flow 924cfm which is more than needed for a moderate 8 pound boost on a stock engine ... unless the engine was modified to a greater extent, with higher boost levels, a larger throttle body is not needed.
  • Kenne Bell has their own unique cold air intake included in their kit ... you can read all about it on their extensive website.
  • The install was extremely straight forward. If you know the basics, its pretty much like building a model, just follow the instructions, which are quite good. When I was done, the car fired up, and ran as calm and smooth as a mountain lake ... until you hit the accelerator that is ... I am beyond pleased with the end result

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
73 Posts
Ry, download the instructions, its just 128+ easy steps!

I did my Arrington/Magnuson SC install myself with a buddy over a weekend. We took our time as this was the biggest thing I have ever done, Jeremiah had done a bit more with his Fox body. The instructions were easy to follow for sure. Pinning the crank was the "scariest" part as drilling into the crank wrong could have catastrophic consequences. I had help lowering the unit onto the heads/block.

Magnuson was doing the remote tuning with an SCT handheld which worked pretty good. I had planned on installing the 90mm TB right off the bat but Mark the tuner wanted to keep things "stock" to get the startup tune right. I did have some problems with a hesitation at 3500rpm or so like it was a fuel delivery issue. Turns out the spark was getting blown out from the boost! Stock TB should be just fine, you can always go bigger later but probably don't need it until you are going over 8lbs of boost.

Once that was remedied the tune from Magnuson was pretty great, partial throttle driveability was so-so. I did have a local tuner custom tune the car with the 90mm TB and gained another 40whp and 25ish lb-ft.

Your stock intake has the TB in front center and the Magnuson snout angles the TB towards the driverside like a 6.4l, I think you can modify your CAI tube to fit or maybe you can get a new tube from AFE.

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
73 Posts
A couple of things I think I need to clarify:

Definitely put new plugs in but gap them to about .035" instead of stock, I also run a full step colder. NGK does not make the copper plug that I like any more. The easiest way to get what I need now is to just order Hellcat part numbers for the plugs.

The 90mm TB is what required the custom tune, I would have been fine if I left the stock 80mm TB on the snout. But I bought the 6lb kit, the TB, and the Legmaker CAI all at the same time and did not want to shelve any parts. I do recommend that you get a 180° thermostat just to give you a cooler running temp, just a little bit of boost makes the water temp climb!

At first, the bypass valve seemed to close slowly in my opinion and the Magnuson tuner sent a small brass fitting that was to replace one already installed near the bypass valve actuator. This fitting helped control when the bypass closed, the new fitting had a lager hole and did seem to allow boost to kick in quicker. Over time I just removed it all together and things work just great.

Sometimes I think I should have gotten the 8lb kit which would have come with a new fuel pump, larger injectors installed in the SC and of course a smaller upper pulley. However, I have been to the drag strip multiple times as well as the road course and have really been hard on the car. My kit has been installed for over 60K miles, I don't think I would have gotten as many with an 8lb kit!

Reactions: RyzRT
1 - 19 of 19 Posts