Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
a while ago one of the tire pressure monitoring sensors broke, and I saw this:

I went to the shop for them to replace it with a new one and today they did. They also said they reprogrammed all four (and obviously charged for it). However, shortly after leaving the shop I saw the following:

WHAT. By the way, the warning light actually says "Service Tire Pressure System", and blinks for one minute:

The question is: how likely is it that the second sensor failed just as they were servicing the first failure?

They said something about having to reprogram all of them since they were "put on the wrong wheels". But hey, I'm just rotating wheels as told by the manual. Can this really cause sensors to be "put on the wrong wheels"? I assume that even when you rotate the wheels and later lose pressure, the TPMS would still show you the correct one on the screen, right?

I'd appreciate anybody with some experience here to enlighten me what's going on. I'm scheduled for another appointment on Wednesday.

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,493 Posts
Cant answer your question directly, but can tell you that my 2010 SRT had a floating TPMS issue. Dealer reset the system and the "low pressure tire" continued to move around.....

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,876 Posts
Hi,
a while ago one of the tire pressure monitoring sensors broke, and I saw this:

I went to the shop for them to replace it with a new one and today they did. They also said they reprogrammed all four (and obviously charged for it). However, shortly after leaving the shop I saw the following:

WHAT. By the way, the warning light actually says "Service Tire Pressure System", and blinks for one minute:

The question is: how likely is it that the second sensor failed just as they were servicing the first failure?

They said something about having to reprogram all of them since they were "put on the wrong wheels". But hey, I'm just rotating wheels as told by the manual. Can this really cause sensors to be "put on the wrong wheels"? I assume that even when you rotate the wheels and later lose pressure, the TPMS would still show you the correct one on the screen, right?

I'd appreciate anybody with some experience here to enlighten me what's going on. I'm scheduled for another appointment on Wednesday.

Hate to say you got taken if you paid extra for the 'reprogram all 4 cuz they were put on the wrong wheels'.

That is BS...the sensors know where they are.....do they claim you have to move the sensors when you rotate you tires ??

The manual says it takes ~20 min driving above 15 mph to reset the system when you rotate the tires...nothing is said about moving sensors as they seem to claim, cuz it is not required.

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My experience with TPMS is limited but I talked to the service manager and techs about this since owning a car with TPMS, my 2008 Cayman S.

Was told the biggest problem is when the customer brings in the car for new tires. But balks when it is recommended to replace the tire sensors. Since they are working fine this is an understandable initial reaction.

So often the car goes out with new tires and old sensors. Time passes. Sometimes not much time. Owner has car back in with a TPMS sensor acting up. A new one is needed. 'course, the customer wants to blame the tech and the tire change but the sensor is just worn out the battery is just worn out.

The customer reluctantly agrees to a new sensor but of course refuses to have the others replaced.

Out goes the car and yep you guessed it in it comes again sometimes just days later with another sensor acting up.

SM and techs said this is quite common. The solution is to generally replace the sensors when fitting new tires.

However, tire life needs to be taken into consideration. For example I could go through 2 sets of rear tires and one set of front tires in 40K miles and one year. (I drove a lot.) No way would the TPMS sensors need to be replaced every time new tires were fitted. In this case the sensors get replaced after so much time, years. I do not know the number of years but it can be in the vicinity of 4 or 5 or 6 years.

For example more recently with my Hellcat due to a tire puncture I had the rear tires replaced at 13.5K miles. The car was less than 2 years old. The original TPMS sensors were used with the new tires.

But come time to replace all 4 tires -- not sure when this will happen -- I'll have new sensors installed at the same time.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,876 Posts
Replace is one thing....yes, they do stop working when the battery goes.......and need to be replaced.

But to 'reprogram them cuz they were on the wrong wheels' is not part of that.................

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
During the winter, my entire TPMS system is broken. Because I don't have sensors on my winter tire rims on the Jeep. if they ever die on my regular rims, I'm not going to fix them. it does not affect the vehicle in any way. I know how to keep an eye on tire pressure. Been doing it for 40 years before TPMS came along.
-John

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
Replace is one thing....yes, they do stop working when the battery goes.......and need to be replaced.

But to 'reprogram them cuz they were on the wrong wheels' is not part of that.................
The guys in that shop must have thought the customers name was Benjamin Dover. Another bunch of jerks out to screw the public.
-John

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

Oh yes I agree. I have initiated a reset of the TPMS system of my MINI JCW. After selecting reset I had to drive the car for a while for the reset to complete.

And more recently with my 2020 Metris (Mercedes Benz) van. This system does not display tire pressures but is only capable of issuing a warning if a tire suffers some loss of pressure.

I do not recall a reset being available for my Helllcat's TPMS or its sensors. But it quickly picks up the senors because it doesn't take hardly any time at all for pressure data to update as I begin to drive the car.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,876 Posts
Oh yes I agree. I have initiated a reset of the TPMS system of my MINI JCW. After selecting reset I had to drive the car for a while for the reset to complete.

And more recently with my 2020 Metris (Mercedes Benz) van. This system does not display tire pressures but is only capable of issuing a warning if a tire suffers some loss of pressure.

I do not recall a reset being available for my Helllcat's TPMS or its sensors. But it quickly picks up the senors because it doesn't take hardly any time at all for pressure data to update as I begin to drive the car.
That's how mine is......maybe a mile and it's reset.....

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Cant answer your question directly, but can tell you that my 2010 SRT had a floating TPMS issue. Dealer reset the system and the "low pressure tire" continued to move around.....
The FCA autolearn TPMS system cannot be trusted to show the wheels in the proper physical position. Often it does and sometimes it does not.

Reactions: KeysB5Blue

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
That
The FCA autolearn TPMS system cannot be trusted to show the wheels in the proper physical position. Often it does and sometimes it does not.
That particular problem is outlined in the factory service manual. It's caused by weak or nearly dead battery in the sensor. All four should be replaced at the same time. They are getting real cheap. Amazon has just about every sensor for all vehicles on the road. Note here.. Having a brand new sensor among 3 others that are near the end of their life totally hoses the system. That one strong signal can cross interfere with the receiving ability of the other sensors that have nearly dead batteries. This is why it's important all sensors have the same transmission of equal strength signals.
-John

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
That

That particular problem is outlined in the factory service manual. It's caused by weak or nearly dead battery in the sensor. All four should be replaced at the same time. They are getting real cheap. Amazon has just about every sensor for all vehicles on the road. Note here.. Having a brand new sensor among 3 others that are near the end of their life totally hoses the system. That one strong signal can cross interfere with the receiving ability of the other sensors that have nearly dead batteries. This is why it's important all sensors have the same transmission of equal strength signals.
-John
Seen it happen with brand new vehicle and brand new TPMS all around.

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
Seen it happen with brand new vehicle and brand new TPMS all around.
That statement is suspicious. If that were true, the TPMS system would be at fault and under warranty. Back to the dealer and let them worry about it. Just as each wheel has a transmitter built into the valve stem, there is a corresponding receiver in every wheel well. This is on a Grand Cherokee with the fender liner removed. The Challenger has 4 of them also.

If an individual receiver goes bad, it can be replaced. The scan tool at the dealer will find a bad receiver. This it what it looks like, Made for FCA vehicles.

They got this technology down pat. There are no mysteries here.
-John

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
That statement is suspicious. If that were true, the TPMS system would be at fault and under warranty. Back to the dealer and let them worry about it. Just as each wheel has a transmitter built into the valve stem, there is a corresponding receiver in every wheel well. This is on a Grand Cherokee with the fender liner removed. The Challenger has 4 of them also.
View attachment 260839

If an individual receiver goes bad, it can be replaced. The scan tool at the dealer will find a bad receiver. This it what it looks like, Made for FCA vehicles.
View attachment 260840

They got this technology down pat. There are no mysteries here.
-John
What model year is your example?
Hopefully they have gotten it together on the later models but my 2009 Challenger, 2010 Jeep and 2015 Challenger only have one receiver module located in the RR wheel well. From the 2009 and 2015 Challenger service manuals:
"Both TPM systems consist of tire pressure monitoring sensors attached to each road wheel through the valve stem mounting hole and a TPM module. The receiver circuit for the TPM system is mounted in the right rear wheel well. The TPM module is fixed to a metal bracket mounted to the inner wheel well located behind the splash shield. The TPM module decodes the RF signals transmitted by each of the vehicle’s tire pressure sensors. The decoded information is used to determine if "warning" or "fault" conditions exist within the TPM system."

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
What model year is your example?
Hopefully they have gotten it together on the later models but my 2009 Challenger, 2010 Jeep and 2015 Challenger only have one receiver module located in the RR wheel well. From the 2009 and 2015 Challenger service manuals:
"Both TPM systems consist of tire pressure monitoring sensors attached to each road wheel through the valve stem mounting hole and a TPM module. The receiver circuit for the TPM system is mounted in the right rear wheel well. The TPM module is fixed to a metal bracket mounted to the inner wheel well located behind the splash shield. The TPM module decodes the RF signals transmitted by each of the vehicle’s tire pressure sensors. The decoded information is used to determine if "warning" or "fault" conditions exist within the TPM system."
This was on a cousins 2014 Grand Cherokee. (I have a 2018) We pulled all the liners to fluid film all the hidden sheet metal. Those receivers are in every wheel well. Look close at the label. It tells you what they are. We have to rust proof our vehicles up here in Maine so they don't die of body cancer.
-John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everybody, thanks for all information, it was really reassuring! I learned a lot and know I'll be replacing the remaining two sensors in two months when switching to winter rubber. I buy the advice to keep them all fresh due to dying battery problems.

And it turns out you were right in another aspect: the wheel reported with the issue might be wrong. The broken sensor was the second one reported, it looked like this after taking it out:

That's right, it's completely broken in half and glued back together with superglue. Needless to say, I won't be returning to the guys that changed my tires last time...

By the way, the dealer confirmed all four wheels have separate receivers on the car.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Glad you found the problem.
Do I understand correctly that every wheel has a separate receiver but the system was still showing the wrong wheel for the problem?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, apparently when you move wheels around the car needs a good while to position them in software. And when the sensor got broken, the software locked it at the outdated wheel position.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I get them when I put my Drag Radials on the rear of the car, no sensors in them. I let it go because they are usually only on the car for a day or two. I also have Alfa OBD and a Tazer and I believe if the part on the car fails I can shut it off. I know Alfa Will let me reset the error codes for the TPMS.

·
Registered
694 Posts
There is no programming involved with our TPMS. Saying they reprogrammed all 4 was a lie. It also does not take long for the sensors to be picked up. Just get factory original ones to make sure you don’t continue having problems. They will be very expensive through the Dodge dealer. You can get them pretty cheap on Amazon. The tires do not need to be taken all the way off the wheels or rebalanced to replace the sensors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts