Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car I have on order (392 TA) comes with the silly all-season Pzeros and they will be coming off the car as soon as possible (they do not rank well here: 2022 UHP All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests)

What I want are summer-only tires that can be driven in the rain at highway speed, provide good feedback and grip for the odd spirited mountain drive and won't go up in a cloud of smoke when you breathe on the gas pedal. I will be keeping the stock wheels (20x9.5) so I assume I will be limited to 275s on all corners.

I have read great things about the Firestone Firehawk 500 and they are a fairly sensible price - I know the ultimate is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but for the price of 4 of them, I could buy 5 Firehawks.

Are there any other options I should be looking at?

·
Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
3,076 Posts
MIchelin Pilot Sport 4S...................they are amazing....but yes, pricey.

They stick better in the rain than the pirellis did on a dry road...

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
60,457 Posts
I have 2 cars with the DWS 06 and pleased with them. Can't verify snow performance but in the wet they seem competent. Good ride quality, not noisy, dry traction is decent, far better than the Goodyear supercars and Firestone Firehawks.

Reactions: PRPHAZE and RatFink

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,927 Posts
@RatFink

Don't you live in Canada?

If you do, your options are very limited this time of year, and when it comes to tires, unfortunately you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S+ is cheaper as as good as the Pilots,
Have you tried both the BF and the Pilot sport 4s? Curious how a good all season stacks up compared to a dedicated high Performance summer tire for spirited driving. Everyone seems to recommend the pilots from what I have seen, but don't necessarily want to spend 390 a tire.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,084 Posts
The car I have on order (392 TA) comes with the silly all-season Pzeros and they will be coming off the car as soon as possible (they do not rank well here: 2022 UHP All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests)

What I want are summer-only tires that can be driven in the rain at highway speed, provide good feedback and grip for the odd spirited mountain drive and won't go up in a cloud of smoke when you breathe on the gas pedal. I will be keeping the stock wheels (20x9.5) so I assume I will be limited to 275s on all corners.

I have read great things about the Firestone Firehawk 500 and they are a fairly sensible price - I know the ultimate is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but for the price of 4 of them, I could buy 5 Firehawks.

Asking about tires is like asking about oil...

My Hellcat came with Pirelli all season tires. Crap tires. I was too cheap to remove them with any life left. Had I kept the car when the time came I would have replaced them with (probably) Pirelli high performance tires. I ran similar tires on one of my previous cars -- it came from the factory with the Pirelli high performance tires -- and I was quite happy with them. I drove the car year around first in mid Missouri then in the Livermore CA area when I moved back to CA.

At some point, I had a chance to try Michelin high performance tires. The factory sanctioned a Michelin tire for my car. Just the Michelin tires were more money. Finally they came down in price and were on par with the Pirelli price. So I came them a spin. They might have been a skosk better but not enough to warrant any real price premium above the Pirelli tires. I ran Michelin tires then at some point when they got expensive again I switched back to Pirelli.

My 2020 Scat Pack came with Pirelli high performance tires. These tires as with my experience with my previous car proved to be quite the tire. And tons better than their all season counter parts.

I'm loathe to buy tires that aren't sanctioned by the factory. So I'd be very leery of just slapping on any old round black things the car.

Based on my experience I'd recommend the Pirelli high performance tires. While I did use them in cold weather here (Benton County AR) I avoided using them with snow on the road and in real cold temperature. In the summer they offered lots of grip. I didn't drive the Scat Pack in the rain on a regular basis but I did take it out at least once in some good rain and the tires were fine. But as is my habit -- from long experience -- I slowed down.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,927 Posts
Yea I do - but my car will only be a summer car, it will be parked all winter so I'm not concerned about having to deal with snow.
Then I suggest you keep the Pirelli P-Zero All Season with a Treadwear #500 on the front and get 2 Pirelli 275/40/ZR20 Ultra High Performance Sport with a Treadwear #220, for the rear.

For summer spirited driving and better rear traction the Pirelli is a great tire, now summer here down in South Carolina is quite different from yours, but those P-Zeros with the Treadwear #220 are excellent rain tires and provide pretty descent traction, from my own experience.

https://www.pirelli.com/ecolabels/web/us/1874900_US_P.jpg

That way even thought you have all seasons on the front and ultra high performance on the rear they still have the P-Zero look and logo.

Happy Choosing! Ry

Edit: Almost forgot, be careful of getting bitten by the upgrade bug, you don't even have the car in your possession yet, and you are already planning upgrades! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting suggestions - if I can get a good enough deal on P Zero summers I will put them on I suppose but they don't rank that well anywhere in comparisons and based on my experience with my Ram truck, the factories typically get their bulk deals and don't really put the best tires on (anyone tried to put Wrangler SR-As on anything but pavement, or on snow or ice? Terrifying).

@RyzRT I would caution this type of mixed tire - mismatching grip between the axles can be very detrimental to the car's performance and even dangerous in some cases if you are in not-ideal conditions or are pushing.
Tire Reviews on UUHP tires from 2022 He always throws on a mixed pair to see what happens within these tests and they never do well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally I had the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 and the Yokohama Advan Apex V601 on my radar for a summer 275 wheel. Both are in the $250-$280 range and have a good amount of positive feedback (more for firestone). That said I may be better off looking for a set of Pirellis or Continentals and spending 25-35% more.

I am going from a 245 all season to a 275 summer, so I shouldn't necessarily need the best tire to see a big difference.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
60,457 Posts
Interesting suggestions - if I can get a good enough deal on P Zero summers I will put them on I suppose but they don't rank that well anywhere in comparisons and based on my experience with my Ram truck, the factories typically get their bulk deals and don't really put the best tires on (anyone tried to put Wrangler SR-As on anything but pavement, or on snow or ice? Terrifying).

@RyzRT I would caution this type of mixed tire - mismatching grip between the axles can be very detrimental to the car's performance and even dangerous in some cases if you are in not-ideal conditions or are pushing.
Tire Reviews on UUHP tires from 2022 He always throws on a mixed pair to see what happens within these tests and they never do well.
Can you say understeer.

• Haha
Reactions: RatFink

·
Registered
345 Posts
You might consider Mickey Thompson Street Comps...275's...

·
Registered
3 Posts

BF Goodrich comp 2 a/s tire in my opinion is a great tire and doesn’t kill the bank account. Loved them and would buy again when needed again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats on the order/purchase. I hope you enjoy the hell outta that T/A. I have had multiple sets/pairs of the Firestone Firehawk 500's on a very rowdy 1LE Camaro (Yes, I know where I am) and have been pleased with them. This car sees normal street, "spirited" windy's and track time. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires that the car came with were stickier but did not last and did not like street driving. And they were all the $$$$. Just passing along this experience. My 1320 has the original Nexen Drag Radials and a set of M/T bigs and littles for the track so that does not help you at all. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts