Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any T/A 392 owners added a super charger? I've been contemplating for over a year on whether or not to supercharge my T/A 392. I've heard of mostly horror stories - few success stories - both has a lot to do with who installs it and the tune. I've also read that the stock 6.4 is by design not built for boost and pushing more power because the stock bottom end is not good for that. The pistons are not forged and there is not enough meat between the ring lands and the top of the piston. Also, the exhaust manifold may twist from overheat and burst the studs of its fastening. But I'm only planning to add about 6lbs, no more than 7lbs of boost - just a little kick. The Magnuson 2300 will net about 550 HP to the wheels. I don't want a Hellcat. I want to always keep my T/A 392. Input please.

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
You answered your own questions.........'cept I've not sure on a manifold twisting.....

As to adding 6-7-8 lbs of boost.....how lucky do you feel ??

if a ladder is rated for 400 lbs, and you don't put any weight on it.,...it'll last forever....
if a ladder is rated for 400 lbs, and you put 400 lbs on it, it may or may not break right away......but it is stressed
if it is rated for 400 lbs and you put 500 lbs on it is likely to break right away, as it is stressed 25% more than it was designed for......

The 6.4 is designed for 14.7 psi.....regular atmospheric pressure....and the more pressure you add on top of that, the shorter its life span will probably be......
Basically, it's a gamble.,,,.,,did your engine get a weak rod or piston or crank ? will it fail at 6 psi or 7 ? Can it handle 8 ??

You don't know until it doesn't anymore...........

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
There are so many threads on this and the general consensus is that it is not a good idea. Having said that, I met a guy a few years after the 392 came out and he had supercharged his; I saw the engine bay myself. But, Way too much boost in my opinion, as he claims he was getting over 700 hp (crank). I wish I had kept in touch with him to see how things went in the long run. Anyway, I had a supercharged 5.7 with no problems and stock internals.
Do a lot of research on this - it is expensive and could end up costing you an engine which will NOT be covered under warranty. Good luck.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
899 Posts
You need a low Mileage Engine, You need an Unlocked PCM, you need a low compression engine meaning different piston, cam, lifters, oil pump, lower heat range plugs etc.,
It's not a easy slap on and go with it process. Also your exhaust usually needs to be modified for that and then the Brakes... Is all that worth it or learn to live with a already kick butt ride? I had 3 cars with Super Chargers and 2 with Turbos truthfully it was a constant money pit and a higher maintenance. If its factory then that is one thing if you got a new 5.7 a Magnuson kit is available direct from your Dodge Dealer and can be installed. So is it worth it not in my book but just trying to give you some insight to the other things you need to do oh yeah also best to go with higher grade hoses, and 1 piece drive shaft upgrade.

·
Premium Member
12,627 Posts
I would save up the additional 5K over the cost of the supercharger and buy a Hellcat. This comes from someone who had owned a supercharged 5.7 for 5 going on 6 years now. To get all the HP and the true ability to make the car work with the additional power you need much more than just throwing the blower on there and calling it good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You answered your own questions.........'cept I've not sure on a manifold twisting.....

As to adding 6-7-8 lbs of boost.....how lucky do you feel ??

if a ladder is rated for 400 lbs, and you don't put any weight on it.,...it'll last forever....
if a ladder is rated for 400 lbs, and you put 400 lbs on it, it may or may not break right away......but it is stressed
if it is rated for 400 lbs and you put 500 lbs on it is likely to break right away, as it is stressed 25% more than it was designed for......

The 6.4 is designed for 14.7 psi.....regular atmospheric pressure....and the more pressure you add on top of that, the shorter its life span will probably be......
Basically, it's a gamble.,,,.,,did your engine get a weak rod or piston or crank ? will it fail at 6 psi or 7 ? Can it handle 8 ??

You don't know until it doesn't anymore...........
You're right. And I know you're right..... but for some reason I just keep pushing the idea of still doing it knowing that sooner or later, it will fail. Thanks for your honest input.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,779 Posts
Have no experience supercharging anything. If you can find a supercharger kit for your car/engine the odds are it will be tailored to supply a reasonably "safe" amount of boost for the stock engine.

At my nearby Dodge dealer, came across this the other day:

Pro 1.jpg

Yep, brand new Scat Pack with a dealer added Procharger. Word is the dealer added a Procharger to a customer's car and after decided to do this to a new car.

Procharger (kit and installation) added $16K to the car's sticker price.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,614 Posts
You're right. And I know you're right..... but for some reason I just keep pushing the idea of still doing it knowing that sooner or later, it will fail. Thanks for your honest input.

I have had similar thoughts in my brain as well......

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,477 Posts
Petty has a package that can get you 600 naturally aspirated HP.... might be worth a look...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts