Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm quite new to this family of happy challenger owners. I own a 2014 challenger R/T and am looking to start with the mods. Currently I have a CAI and that is it. Wondering if the Diablo trinity tuner would be the next best move.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
I had an Intune on my 2013. Ran the 91 Octane Tune and adjusted a few parameters as suggested by the vendor I purchased it from. It helped wake up the car. I have read great things about HemiFever (a vendor on this site) and his tunes. I was going to get one this year but traded in my 2013 for a SP last fall.

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,498 Posts
Welcome!! If you came here looking for someone to talk you out of modding.... WRONG place! We are the biggest group of enablers in the Challenger world! LOL!! Any how, HemiFever Tune is worth every penny IMHO... I had the CAI, Blastin Bobs Resonator delete and tune... everything works great together. I have a dyno run that put me at 360 HP/400 TQ at the wheels...

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
A tune is definitely worth it. Go with Hemifever or Johan, either of those guys will give you a great tune. I had the Hemifever tune on my old R/T and it woke it up big time, way more fun to drive. Well worth it.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,404 Posts
Welcome to the 'Z' from Illinois.:) As Shanes13 said, "We're here to help you spend your $$$$"! WISELY:cool: Enjoy your Black Beauty!:D

·
John
456 Posts
Unless you get some physical mods done (CAI and cat-backs don't count--I have those, myself), don't waste your money on a tune. You'll spend a grand for maybe ten hp.

Tunes work best when you've modified the engine significantly, like with a new cam, throttle body, manifold or headers, supercharger, etc. That's when you really need one--to take advantage of the new mechanics.

And welcome! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi everyone. im new to this and quite wondering what a turner is, does. ive never used a tuner. i currently upgraded my exhaust to a magnaflow competition series and a kn air intake, thats all. ive been wondering if a tuner would do a impact in hp. again ive never used a turner and dont know but would like to purchase one if it does increase my hp. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Unless you get some physical mods done (CAI and cat-backs don't count--I have those, myself), don't waste your money on a tune. You'll spend a grand for maybe ten hp.

Tunes work best when you've modified the engine significantly, like with a new cam, throttle body, manifold or headers, supercharger, etc. That's when you really need one--to take advantage of the new mechanics.

And welcome! :)
I'd have to respectfully disagree. I only had a catch can and CAI on my car and even prior to the CAI I ran a tune and it really woke my car up quite a bit. The custom tune reduced torque management greatly and increased throttle response as well as provided some actual hp/tq gains. It was well worth it IMO even with an almost stock vehicle.

The OP has a 2014, so a tuner and custom tune may only run him $400-500. The 2015's and up require a spare PCM along with the tuner which results in the $1K+ cost to tune.

I agree, at that point spending $1K for just a tune seems a bit much without any other mods to support it.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
hi everyone. im new to this and quite wondering what a turner is, does. ive never used a tuner. i currently upgraded my exhaust to a magnaflow competition series and a kn air intake, thats all. ive been wondering if a tuner would do a impact in hp. again ive never used a turner and dont know but would like to purchase one if it does increase my hp. thanks in advance.
A tuner simply loads tunes onto your car and allows you to datalog and run diagnostics/clear codes, etc. It's well worth it. You have a 2012 so all you need is the tuner itself, no spare PCM like the 2015+ years.

The canned tunes add around 15hp/15tq, but the best bang for your buck is a custom tune from Hemifever. You'll get even more hp/tq gains from that as well as reduced torque management and better throttle response.

If you have an automatic, you can also firm up your shifts which makes a big difference.

Reactions: Trimec T56

·
John
456 Posts
I'd have to respectfully disagree. I only had a catch can and CAI on my car and even prior to the CAI I ran a tune and it really woke my car up quite a bit. The custom tune reduced torque management greatly and increased throttle response as well as provided some actual hp/tq gains. It was well worth it IMO even with an almost stock vehicle.

The OP has a 2014, so a tuner and custom tune may only run him $400-500. The 2015's and up require a spare PCM along with the tuner which results in the $1K+ cost to tune.

I agree, at that point spending $1K for just a tune seems a bit much without any other mods to support it.
You're right about the 2014 not needing the spare PCM. I forgot about that--and that's a significant chunk of money right there.

But, you know, you're not the first person who said that a tune "woke up" their car. No offense, but you could say the same thing about Sport mode, although it doesn't actually increase the HP output of the motor. I'm curious: you said your custom tune provided some actual HP/TQ gains. Did you run a dyno test pre- and post-tune to see how much? I have yet to see test results like that showing a sufficient increase in HP or torque to justify the cost of a tune.

That said, when my powertrain warranty runs out in another 18-24 months, I'm going to have a supercharger installed. At that point, I'll definitely get it tuned to adjust the AFR, etc. Hopefully by then, they'll have cracked the PCMs for 2016s so I won't have to shell out for a spare. ;)

Cheers.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,498 Posts
See - I wish I had a dyno run before my mods, but the general consensus was approx. 335ish to the wheels... I know for sure my 360, was a huge improvement over stock when I could give a 6.1 Hemi SRT fits one night, he could only pull a fender on me, other wise we were even... drove him batty...LOL....

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,229 Posts
I thought the custom tune was money well spent.Totally changed the way it drives.Used to lag thru up shifts,now it shifts quicker and smoother.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts