Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my resonators off this past Friday and went straight pipes I love the sound but I left the stock mufflers on..I was wondering could I just buy two flowmasters and take them to the shop and they could weld it on? Or is it too late

·
Registered
227 Posts
Depending on the length of the Flowmasters over the stock they may have to add/ cut off some of the pipe where the resonators were. So could you, yes. Could it cost more now than if ya had it done together, maybe.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You definitely can do it now. Just make sure that the new mufflers have the same "layout" as the old ones (e.g. the exhaust pipe enters and exits the same side of the muffler). That will make the installation easier and will save you money (otherwise the shop will have to tinker with the existing pipes to make sure everything fits).

·
Registered
416 Posts
I took my resonators off this past Friday and went straight pipes I love the sound but I left the stock mufflers on..I was wondering could I just buy two flowmasters and take them to the shop and they could weld it on? Or is it too late
These resonators you speak of , in front or behind the axle? Thing is in front are the mufflers, they are straight tube looking things. The ones at the rear of the car that look like briefcases are the resonators .

Reactions: Ivoryghost

·
Registered
224 Posts
Resonator Delete

Did the blastin bob's res delete at Xmas, a little drone at 2000 rpm but not bad. Love to hear a sound clip as I have been considering a similar idea. Glass packs or Flowmasters?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Went to the muffler shop today to have my res. removed and the muffler guy swore to me that the suitcase looking things at the back of the car were the mufflers not the resonators. He said the mufflers are always at the rear of the car. He also said that it would make very little difference with the sound.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Went to the muffler shop today to have my res. removed and the muffler guy swore to me that the suitcase looking things at the back of the car were the mufflers not the resonators. He said the mufflers are always at the rear of the car. He also said that it would make very little difference with the sound.
The " muffler guy " is wrong in this case the resonators are in the rear on the challengers. cut them off it gets loud . You can always contact your local service department at the stealer ship and they can tell you.
Been there done that.

Reactions: Ivoryghost

·
Registered
636 Posts
In a way the muffler guy is right the resonators at the rear bumper actually "muffle" the sound MORE than the mid pipe long mufflers because the resonators at the rear are chambered and the "mufflers" mid pipe are straight through!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts