Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a copy of the latest Top Gear book, "TopGear The Cool 500, The Coolest Cars Ever Made". It starts in 1900 and goes to present day. The Original Challenger (page 124) and 1970 Cuda (page 127) made the list as well as our current day Challenger (page 269). A quote from the write up of our current car reads "In the blink of an eye the entire '08 allocation had been snapped up-Mustang? What Mustang?" It is published in Britian by the original Top Gear show and magazine staff (not the crappy American version of the show). The current generations of the Mustang and Camaro weren't cool enough to make the cut:Na_Na_Na_Na:

:knee7rm:

Reactions: MidLifeXs

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool!

And they are right, the American version to Top Gear absolutely sucks! Once you watch the real, original. The American version is unwatchable. In fact, it is down right horrendous!
I couldn't agree more. I've watched the original since they started broadcasting it here and why they tried to make an American version is beyond me. There's just no way to beat the original.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,029 Posts
I agree also the BBC version is much better then our version.

I love the BBC show. Almost a Monty Python on cars. Humorous and discerning at the same time.

I loved the version when they obtained a Cadillac XXX, a Corvette and a Challenger. At the end of the show as they were driving it was explained "we came to America to see if the US could manufacture a good performance road car." "They couldn't make one............. they made three." Something to that effect.
They liked all three. And as you know, they are very difficult to impress.

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
That is rather impressive to know the original and the retro models made the grade! It is also ironic in my opinion that "foreigners" rated American cars especially when so many Americans swear that reliable performance cars have to be European or Japanese made.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I love the BBC Top Gear & respect what they have to say - they are honest, witty & creative. The US version is unwatchable.
Any chance you can scan those 3 pages & post (not sure it can be made readable)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was suprised also that a big old American muscle car made the list. I expected a lot of obscure european cars, of which there are many, but of all the modern muscle cars just the Challenger made the cut. The guys on the show are hard to impress. I don't know how many of you get the magazine (it is excellent) but they drove a 392 when it came out and loved it. In their true British snobby style they did comment that the white leather embroidered seats looked like they came from a 1970's power boat but that is just their humor and I have grown to love it. On the show where they drove the Challenger in America, Richard actully bought the car they used off a dealer lot because Chrysler wouldn't for whatever reason lend them one to use. He is a big American car fan and I believe he bought the 1968 Charger R/T 440 he was testing on the show as well.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love the BBC Top Gear & respect what they have to say - they are honest, witty & creative. The US version is unwatchable.
Any chance you can scan those 3 pages & post (not sure it can be made readable)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Muscle car

I tried but this is as good as it gets. Also thanks for the reps!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Love that show....Jeremy rocks!!! Those guys know a thing or two about great gearboxes and performance....no wonder Mopar's where on the list!

·
Registered
257 Posts
BTW the new season started last week, USA is a week behind.
As a Brit i've been watching top gear since the 1970's.

This week~ Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May try to prove older hot hatches are better than today's equivalents. Hugh Bonneville drives the Reasonably Priced Car.

Next week~Richard Hammond gets behind the wheel of the Alfa Romeo 4C, Jeremy Clarkson puts the McLaren P1 hypercar to the test and Thor star Tom Hiddleston drives the Reasonably Priced Car.

Already watched both

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
My 15 y/o Son is the one who got me hooked on the original as he has been watching it for years now. Then he showed me about 2 minutes of the US version and how bad it was. The US version very well may be the worst knock off version of anything ever attempted to date. It absolutely sucks IMHO!

·
Now that was dumb!
6,029 Posts
Tonites version small hatchbacks.......all I can say is that I laughed until I cried during the Supermarket Challenge.

Folks.....if you aren't watching the BBCs Top Gear you are missing great entertainment. I absolutely never miss it.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I honestly don't know why they have to make an American version of UK shows. My other pet peeve is anytime they show subtitles whenever someone has an accent. Like you can't figure out what someone is saying.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I was suprised also that a big old American muscle car made the list. I expected a lot of obscure european cars, of which there are many, but of all the modern muscle cars just the Challenger made the cut. The guys on the show are hard to impress. I don't know how many of you get the magazine (it is excellent) but they drove a 392 when it came out and loved it. In their true British snobby style they did comment that the white leather embroidered seats looked like they came from a 1970's power boat but that is just their humor and I have grown to love it. On the show where they drove the Challenger in America, Richard actully bought the car they used off a dealer lot because Chrysler wouldn't for whatever reason lend them one to use. He is a big American car fan and I believe he bought the 1968 Charger R/T 440 he was testing on the show as well.
Chrysler didn't give them a car because of how the show beats up Chrysler and all Big Three products. I remember when they gave them a new Viper and it was said that they told them it was a preproduction model and there were some body gaps that were an issue in preproduction and other things. The first thing they pointed out as they walked around it was the body gap issues and called it rubbish...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chrysler didn't give them a car because of how the show beats up Chrysler and all Big Three products. I remember when they gave them a new Viper and it was said that they told them it was a preproduction model and there were some body gaps that were an issue in preproduction and other things. The first thing they pointed out as they walked around it was the body gap issues and called it rubbish...
They did mention that on the show but didn't mention the Viper bashing at the time. Was that the one where Clarkson said the original Viper was "made of spare truck parts with a body crafted from old canoes"? I think he also called the new 2003 500hp viper an axe murderer with headlights due to the lack of abs and traction and stability control. He did say he loved it anyway in the end. By the way it too made the cool 500 list (page 235).

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found the book on Amazon, hardcover somewhere around $30. Stig, is it the 2013 edition you're talking about?
Yup. It's got a DB5 and an Aventador on the cover.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.