Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so I need to know what is the top speed your seeing out of your rt . I got mine up to 140, I have a sunroof and when I hit 140 it sounds like it and my side windows are going to rip out so just a lil insite

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
The R/T's are limited by the governor to 138-140mph. You can change that with a tuner. I think you'll get into the 160mph range with that. Mine has been up to 120mph as was smooth as a gravy sandwich.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,522 Posts
I have hit 136 before I had to let off. I was in 5th gear and still pulling... since I have the 3.92 rear I don't know that it will have huge top end... but since I have a tuner it is set at 170 right now... no plans on seeing if it will go that fast. While 136 was hauling, It seemed to be pretty solid... no floating...

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
A friend of mine just recently retired from the Air Force. His last station being in Hawaii, he flew his Challenger back State side via military transport. (They let bird colonels do that.) But anyway, he can claim without lying that his car went 450 MPH!

-John

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
An R/T is electronically limited at 146, that is raised to 158 with the STP, and the SRT is 168, not sure about the v6. I have had mind about 130 with plenty of go still before I shut er down, not worth it IMO to go any faster. Blow a tire, hit a pothole, and you will be a goner' as you don't survive accidents at that speed. If I was at a track with a really long straight I would like to see if I could hit the governor.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,522 Posts
An R/T is electronically limited at 146, that is raised to 158 with the STP, and the SRT is 168, not sure about the v6. I have had mind about 130 with plenty of go still before I shut er down, not worth it IMO to go any faster. Blow a tire, hit a pothole, and you will be a goner' as you don't survive accidents at that speed. If I was at a track with a really long straight I would like to see if I could hit the governor.
I have driven across Wyoming... roads were very nice, straight, and deserted... It would be too tempting to run it up there... of course if a person wrecks it will be a long wait for an ambulance.. ( driving across WY we came upon a wreck, car had rolled... people were hurt but not critically - it was a while before any help arrived just because of how remote it was)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hmmm, good info in this thread. I have a RT with the 3.92 rear. Always thought I had the STP, but i hit my governer at 146 so I guess not.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
I thought Matt Mead was an O.K. Guy...:gy:

-John

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,406 Posts
QUOTE=TheOldGuy;928635]A friend of mine just recently retired from the Air Force. His last station being in Hawaii, he flew his Challenger back State side via military transport. (They let bird colonels do that.) But anyway, he can claim without lying that his car went 450 MPH!

-John[/QUOTE]

LOL--Thanks for my first laugh of the day. Good One!-:smileup:

Had mine up to 140. Still solid & pulling. Intune set to 166, but I'm more than satisfied with the 140. More than enough for me.-:naughty:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I thought the SRT has no electronically controlled speed limiter on it and that it's top speed was 181.

I think I read that somewhere before I bought mine when I was shopping last year.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
I have driven across Wyoming... roads were very nice, straight, and deserted... It would be too tempting to run it up there... of course if a person wrecks it will be a long wait for an ambulance.. ( driving across WY we came upon a wreck, car had rolled... people were hurt but not critically - it was a while before any help arrived just because of how remote it was)
You are correct and we do have some well maintained roads, but there is always wildlife (esp in my neck of the woods) and tourists who I swear are chucked up in the head. "Oh lets take close up pictures of the bison thingy, lets stop the car in the middle of the road and do it"

I do know of few "testing spots" as well ;)

I thought the SRT has no electronically controlled speed limiter on it and that it's top speed was 181.

I think I read that somewhere before I bought mine when I was shopping last year.
You might be right, I think the top speed is 181 if there is no governor maybe someone with SRT can chime in.

Just going off of memory from previous threads but my memory has been known to fade lol.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The R/T's are limited by the governor to 138-140mph. You can change that with a tuner. I think you'll get into the 160mph range with that. Mine has been up to 120mph as was smooth as a gravy sandwich.
What Coyote said. Word of mouth, top speed for a 6 speed Challenger is 157. I had mine in a stretch of road, 3 miles straight, in farmlands at 126 tops, before I shut her down, when I saw a car coming the opposite lane. Did this once when my car was new.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You are correct and we do have some well maintained roads, but there is always wildlife (esp in my neck of the woods) and tourists who I swear are chucked up in the head. "Oh lets take close up pictures of the bison thingy, lets stop the car in the middle of the road and do it"

I do know of few "testing spots" as well ;)

You might be right, I think the top speed is 181 if there is no governor maybe someone with SRT can chime in.

Just going off of memory from previous threads but my memory has been known to fade lol.

Yeah I heard the same thing. SRT-8 will go 181 MPH.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have hit 136 before I had to let off. I was in 5th gear and still pulling... since I have the 3.92 rear I don't know that it will have huge top end... but since I have a tuner it is set at 170 right now... no plans on seeing if it will go that fast. While 136 was hauling, It seemed to be pretty solid... no floating...
Yeah the one time I tested my car on a rural road, my car hugged the road. Steering hung in there and the car didn't lift.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah 140 is moving but to top it out really isn't doing much I was just asking I have the rt plus package but now with all the mods I was doing just asking thanks for all the input guys

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine shut down at 180 at the mile. My tuner had bumped it to 225 in Quickadjust, but it had to be changed in the CMR tuning software to clear it. It said 185 on the speedo, 182 in the catalog, but the trap clocked it at 179.9 consistently( 3 consecutive ).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine shut down at 180 at the mile. My tuner had bumped it to 225 in Quickadjust, but it had to be changed in the CMR tuning software to clear it. It said 185 on the speedo, 182 in the catalog, but the trap clocked it at 179.9 consistently( 3 consecutive ).

WOW man that's getting in haven't been that fast since my gsxr 1000 I don't know how ya did it as I said before it sounded like my windows were gonna be sucked out

·
Registered
194 Posts
anytime ive hit 140ish the car feels fine, but i agree with gsxrfarm about the windows. that for me is the sacriest part thinking that my windows are going to break from all the wind vibration at that speed. other wise its a comfortable ride going that fast.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.