Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when and where this thing will be available? Also any thoughts as to compatability with a 2008 srt engine/drivetrain? Seems like a nice upgrade that could address issues created by just a gear swap...

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I think it would be much more complicated than just a swap of the gear box even if the mechanicals and overall dimensions simply allowed it bolt up with no other modifications. You have to install a new TCM or reprogram the one you have to work with the 8 spd and then interface with the rest of the systems...........sounds like a headache to me since MOPAR isn't that receptive to having the 'users' mess with ANY tuning.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,549 Posts
This won't be a simple swap. You can bet the electronics involved will not be compatible with <15 model Challengers. It will probably take someone in the aftermarket a good amount of time to research, develop, test and market a swap electronics kit. JMO

·
12,990 Posts
Anyone know when and where this thing will be available? Also any thoughts as to compatability with a 2008 srt engine/drivetrain? Seems like a nice upgrade that could address issues created by just a gear swap...
I think your best bet would be to go for a 2015 model if you want the new Torqueflite.

·
Dash Cam Guy
2,277 Posts
It will probably be more expensive than it is worth but anything is possible if you have the $$$$.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone..all good thoughts...will have to think thru my strategy a bit more.

Have good power now at the motor (about 600bhp at the rear wheels), Mopar TCM for the tranny plus the stage 5 valve body, stronger axle shafts and posi, but the 3.06 gear is probably not optimal...i really dont want to increase RPM's very much, which a gear swap will do, so thinking about options. Maybe a tranny and torque converter and/or gear swap...:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Just so there's no confusion, the new 8 speed is a ZF (German) unit not a Torqueflight (USA)...not saying either is better or worse...I do know TF8's can only take so much HP before the rear sprag blows up (trans brake)...and most any ZF has pressure spike issues that break the drums apart in their most recent generation

1 - 7 of 7 Posts