Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of the members have seen videos of vehicles racing around the track. While watching these videos you will notice real time data attached to the video. I found this very interesting since I have gone to the track several times. I have put together an article on how this is achieved and what you will need.

The beauty of telemetry acquisition is that it functions with normal driving, track days on a road course and drag racing. I will only write about the hardware and software that I am using. I am sure there are other companies that can achieve the same results.

1. The first piece of hardware I purchased was a GOPOINT TECHNOLOGY BT1 OBD II telemetry acquisition device. This plugs directly into your OBD II sensor under the drivers side dash. Just plug the BT1 or BT1A (android) into your vehicle and use your iPhone, iPad, or Android device to acquire telemetry. You will need to down load the GOPOINT app for the unit to deliver the data. Along with streaming over 25 engine parameters the BT1 or BT1A will speak with your vehicle to interrupt the dreaded check engine light. It will give you the code and an explanation and you will be able to reset the check engine light.

IMG_2091.jpg

2. Down load the Track Addict app to your mobile device. I choose the pro app for it's more advanced features and benefits. This will allow the telemetry to be stored on your mobile device for future overlay into the desk top program. You can also acquire video through your phone and it will be stored with in the app for future overlay into the desk top program. I choose to use a GoPro camera for my video acquisition. This app delivers track circuits, segments and drag tracks. It has stored tracks from all over the county. I use segment for just driving around town and testing the system.

IMG_2090.jpg

3. I purchased a GoPro Hero 4 Black camera. This camera has WiFi capability which I use while syncing the system together.

IMG_2093.jpg

4. I purchased the Race Render 3 program for my laptop. You will need a program that will accept the telemetry overlays. This program works very well. I choose the ultimate edition for it's advanced features and benefits.

IMG_2094.jpg

5. I decided to purchase an after market microphone that can be attached closer to the exhaust system. I attached the microphone to the license plate and with a 3.5 mm extension I was able to feed the microphone through the trunk to my camera mounting area on the windshield. I had to purchase a microphone that was ohm compatible to the GoPro camera. A 2 ohm microphone was sufficient. Often after market microphones will have a high ohm rating causing distorted sound.

IMG_2096.jpg

6. Start your engine. I synced my GOPOINT to my iPhone via bluetooth. I synced my GoPro camera to my iPhone via WiFi. Make sure there are no other available syncing devices, Uconnect, home network etc. This could cause conflict. Once synced correctly open the Track Addict app and at the bottom of the screen three boxes should be lit in green and or yellow. This confirms all devices are communicating with each other in the correct manner. In the Track Addict app turn off video and select circuit, segment or drag. Pick your track and press record. Telemetry acquisition and video will begin recording. Once you are finished driving press session to stop recording. You now have telemetry recorded on your Track Addict app and video recorded on your camera.

7. Your now ready to overlay all the data into the Race Render 3 program. I transferred telemetry from Track Addict to Race Render 3 via WiFi. I uploaded my camera footage to GoPro studio and saved it to my desktop. Any editing or clipping of footage should be completed in Race Render 3. I do not edit video in the GoPro studio program. I found it very difficult to sync video to data if I did any video clipping within GoPro studio. Once the telemetry and the video is loaded into Race Render 3 you can select a pre made templates and configure all your gauges, dials and graphs and clip your video. Once I completed the project I saved it to my desk top. It can now be viewed through Quick Time. You can also upload the video to You Tube.

I hope you enjoy my results. The first lap was a warm up then I got after it to the best of my ability.

-Mike

Disclaimer: I do not work for or endorse any of the above products. These products were all purchased by me for my personal use. There are many other products to achieve the same result.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the detailed info. I had no idea there was so much involved. I just assumed there was a ton of magic involved.

So how long did it take you to figure all this stuff out?

Reactions: Bee Keeper 16

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
That's really cool. Able to correlate the video to the OBD to see exactly what you are doing any given moment. Nice write up Mike.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Thanks for the detailed info. I had no idea there was so much involved. I just assumed there was a ton of magic involved.

So how long did it take you to figure all this stuff out?
With my cognitive impairment it took me the good part of 2 weeks. I did get help form ArchGE. It should only take a couple of days.

Reactions: ArchGE

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's really cool. Able to correlate the video to the OBD to see exactly what you are doing any given moment. Nice write up Mike.
It is cool, like NASCAR/NASA.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Wow man, that is AWESOME! So cool, looks like a total blast! I've only done drag racing, that road course stuff looks like a lot of fun! I watched that one lap on the straightaway you hit around 125mph and got there pretty quick too! Then you slowed way down to 60mph before that turn, tires squealing, haha! Very cool man!

Great write-up, lots of great info here. I may have to look into finding a track somewhere nearby to race my SP next year. I'm assuming you need better tires and some suspension work to really get the most out of the car, but I'm sure in stock form you could still have fun as well.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow man, that is AWESOME! So cool, looks like a total blast! I've only done drag racing, that road course stuff looks like a lot of fun! I watched that one lap on the straightaway you hit around 125mph and got there pretty quick too! Then you slowed way down to 60mph before that turn, tires squealing, haha! Very cool man!

Great write-up, lots of great info here. I may have to look into finding a track somewhere nearby to race my SP next year. I'm assuming you need better tires and some suspension work to really get the most out of the car, but I'm sure in stock form you could still have fun as well.
Yes, better tires, upgraded suspension to stiffen the car and better brake pads. Our cars are limited in braking ability due to the weight. In stock form you could have a blast.

Reactions: cdahl383

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
Great presentation and runs there. You really got more comfortable after that first lap. That truly looks like a good time.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great presentation and runs there. You really got more comfortable after that first lap. That truly looks like a good time.
Yeah, the first lap was a warm up. The hardest thing is to drive within your limitations. I think everyone should get an opportunity to do this.

Reactions: Home Theater Guy

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Excellent write up Mike! Aaah, 2:16 time for me soon I hope :) You have the lines down nicely. I've learned from watching tons of HPR vid. that I'm cutting that hairpin too tight. Entering wide then turning tight looks like a better approach. Setting up for those last two chicanes prior to the finish straight needs to start wider for me too I think.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are many techniques to this track. Hugging those apexs too close will lead to oversteer increasing your time or worse.

Reactions: ArchGE

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I'm full of envy in every way . I very much enjoyed dragging the challenger but being a " bloody foreigner " ( I was going to say immigrant but we won't go there A :cool::D ) my heart has always been in circuit racing and particularly in production based formats . So when Dodge stiffed me on the track day that I payed for when buying my car I was most upset ( still am ) . Boy that looked fun and a handful all at the same time . The electrical wizardry you have got your head around is awesome but I'm afraid I will have to set my sights a little lower . You see although my spelling and grammar may give the illusion I'm somewhat of a genius in real life I have never written an email don't text and regularly enlist my 10 year olds help on technical maters . I do have and use a Go Pro now and again but that's about it . I have recorded a few of the boys at Beaver Springs ( Bill kicking my arse ) but can't seem to manage putting them up here , I have tried . I have footage of going threw the Tail of the Dragon that I haven't seen myself due to the fact the missus hasn't transferred it to the moron pad for my personal viewing .
I hope my little ramble makes this thread pop up as more people deserve to see your fine work .
Cheers Mike , champion effort . :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Great write up and video!

The extent of my video "system" involves a few rubber bands, the rear view mirror and my iphone.
I think that's referred to as, "The Flintstone Method".:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts