Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove by the Dodge dealership today at about 7:30pm and stopped because they have a 2014 RT-Plus 100th anniversary edition in black sitting there. I am contemplating trading my 2013 Challenger Rallye Redline in on it. I have 7,000 miles on my car and if I could get it without my payment going up too much I'd love to.

Basically I ended up with a v6 because of the interior options, but I'd love to have those options (which are on this car) and still have the hemi.

Do you think this is foolish? Right now I am about dead even on money owed vs car value.

it has:

-Beats by dre audio vs my boston acoustic
-leather interior vs leather interior (mine looks better)
-hemi vs v6
-20 inch rims vs 20 inch rims with red stripe
-full touch dash with NAV vs full touch dash without NAV
-special edition black vs pearl white
-2014 vs 2013

All things considered my payment will go up about $50-100 per month

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
hemi vs V6

to me...that's the only line that really matters! if you can swing the extra money....my answer is....YES~!

·
Premium Member
18,504 Posts
If you really want the car and the additional $50 - $100 per month is not an issue, go get it. You will be glad you did.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Sounds like you need a little nudging to move forward and do this. I say do it, I'm pretty sure you will be happy about it.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,727 Posts
I don't think you will regret it, ask NinjaDave.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
You'll love the extra power and the onboard GPS is awesome. But...black is much harder to keep looking clean than white! Let us know what you decide.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
Agree with all the above. The color change is drastic, so if you don't live in the country (dust problems), enjoy taking care of your car anyway, the color change shouldn't bother you. If you get it, start with the proper precautions to avoid scratches/swirls and you shouldn't have any problems. I agree with Andy, it has a HEMI!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Go for the Hemi. I went for the Hemi RT and wish I had bought the SRT8 Challenger instead of the RT at first. Now waiting to be able to upgrade one day. lol

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Go for it! You won't regret it!!!

·
12,990 Posts
Go for it!!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
When I was first considering a Challenger I thought maybe the 6 cyl because of price and fuel but after driving one, I asked the sales guy could you get the 6 in a stick shift. He said no. Then I later test drove an R/T in an auto and I said nice but not quite! Then I test drove the R/T 6 speed....Bingo !!! SOLD !!!..kind of like the story of the 3 bears. ha ha.

GO FOR IT !!

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is spend other peoples money time again! Go for it! Take the depreciation hit on your '13 and roll over any negative equity most likely still on your '13, go deeper into debt and get yourself that HEMI!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
x2 on black being harder to keep clean, but when it is ... hot damn that shine looks amazing! :smileup:

GET THE HEMI :Racing:

·
Registered
575 Posts
... Do you think this is foolish? Right now I am about dead even on money owed vs car value. ...
I never, ever offer my opinion or advice on this subject unless someone asks (which you did ;) ).

And, this is NOT intended to be "bragging" or "judgmental", just friendly advice and encouragement. Freedom from the shackles of debt is a great feeling that never gets old! :smileup:

The Truth About Car Payments
You can live without a car payment!

from daveramsey.com

"I’ll always have a car payment."

You’ve probably heard that comment before, right? You might have even said it yourself—with a defeated, woe-is-me tone of voice. So what’s the deal? Are car payments really just a way of life?

Well, that’s the normal way of thinking. But, as Dave always says: When it comes to money, normal is broke. You want to be weird, and weird people don’t have car payments.

So how, exactly, do you live without a car payment?

Here’s the deal. Recent statistics show that one-third of car buyers sign up for a six-year loan at an average interest rate of 9.6%. Among these buyers, the average price of the car is just over $26,000. This means that one-third of the cars you see on the road are dragging a $475 payment behind them.

The car dealer won’t tell you that your awesome new car loses about 25% of its value the instant you drive it off the lot. After four years, your car has lost about 70% of its value!

What does that mean? After six years, you’ve paid almost $33,000 for a $26,000 car, which is now worth maybe $6,000. Not a good deal.

Here’s a new plan. What if you bought a cheap $2,000 car just to get around for 10 months? Then you take that $475—the average car payment—save it every month, and pay for a new car (with cash!), instead of giving it to the bank.

After 10 months of doing that, you’ll have $4,750 to use for that new ride. Add that to the $1,500–2,000 you can get for your old beater, and you have well over $6,000. That’s a major upgrade in car in just 10 months—without owing the bank a dime!

But the fun doesn’t end there. If you keep consistently putting the same amount of money away, 10 months later you would have another $4,750 to put toward a car. You could probably sell that $6,000 vehicle for about the same price you paid 10 months before—meaning you now have $11,000 to pay for a car, just 20 months after this whole process started.

The bottom line with this exercise is simply this—what could you do with that $475 if you weren’t paying for the car every month? Anything you wanted!

This article continues here: http://www.daveramsey.com/article/the-truth-about-car-payments/lifeandmoney_automobiles/

If you don't care for that advice, here's Plan B: commit and work to pay off the car you have ASAP, then start saving for the next one.

Again, just my 2¢ worth... since you asked! :cool:

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,465 Posts
RichR, had to give you reps for that!!!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
IF you can afford the increase in payment, DO IT! No point in sitting around regretting things in life. There are too many things in life that can go wrong, enjoying life is something we should all do as often as possible. For us, it's our cars and the hobby that we enjoy. Go for it!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ok I will play devil's advocate here..(Mind you I think you should do it as well but here is some food for thought.)

If 50-100 bucks is in the budget have at it..That said, remember your insurance will probably go up as will the number of times you will be filling up...So tack on another 50 bucks or so..

Never mind..Just do it...You will not regret it..

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Ins. may not be a factor at all. I know when we bought ours we went from a 99 Chevy Venture with just liability to the 2013 R/T with everything you can get on the ins. and our monthly payment for ins. went up barely $20 and I checked at the same time between SXT, R/T and SRT8 and there was no difference between SXT and the R/T and barely any difference at all to go to the SRT8. So ins. may not be much of a factor...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts