Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
When your wife offered to pay half on a Hellcat , that should have been your sign of upcoming issues. When I offer to pay on something she wants ,its after I check the numbers she comes up with. My wife doesn't work extra ,so anything she volunteers to pay extra on , in the end I usually cover. Anything that I want personally I do the work that's going to pay for it first . That way no "house money " is effected.

Always " Count your money before you go to buy ".

·
Registered
293 Posts
When your wife offered to pay half on a Hellcat , that should have been your sign of upcoming issues. When I offer to pay on something she wants ,its after I check the numbers she comes up with. My wife doesn't work extra ,so anything she volunteers to pay extra on , in the end I usually cover. Anything that I want personally I do the work that's going to pay for it first . That way no "house money " is effected.

Always " Count your money before you go to buy ".
If I came off as a "smart ass know it all ", I apologize. Because I don't. We all have made bad decisions . Thankfully , you found this quick and smartly parked the car from harm.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,644 Posts
Heaven or Hell, I'm kind of in between, is getting closer than I like.
Reminds me of an old rock saying...

If there's a Highway to Hell but only a Stairway to Heaven, that should tell you everything you need to know about ecclesiastical traffic flow!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I am going to look at from a different perspective... you have 8 months to plan here... roll with your original plan.... in the meantime, keep the miles low, but enjoy the car in fair weather... look to see what trade in will be in a few months., maybe you can sell it privately.. maybe you pick up a little extra income in the next few months... who knows.. but take it easy... you will have enough time to worry later... stressing over it will not improve the options... put your faith to work for you... you might be surprised what can happen in a few months...

For example... if the car is not a daily driver... contact Grundy or Hagerty... get an agreed value policy for pennies on the dollar....

and Congrats DAD!!
My sentiments exactly! You have some time to figure things out. Congratulations on both bundles of joy. Has the dealership sold your RT already?

·
Registered
2018 F8 R/T Challenger
1,514 Posts
Congrats on the kid, I think once the shock wears off on both the bank run around and the good news from the wife, you'll figure out how to make it work or a plan to fix whatever issue that you have. In the end, it's just another day in life.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I know one thing there is no way I would buy a brand new Hellcat. Used if I were to get one. I don't like the dash and all the electronics so mine is getting upgraded over time and no payments.

·
Registered
783 Posts
For me it was my "built" 1974 Harley Superglide FX. There was always an excuse not to get another one when money became easy. Too old to rise hell now.
My dad last fall traded his Harley Davidson Road King for a 1958 AMC Metropolitan because he said at 80 years old the heavy bike was starting to make his knees hurt. Now his hellraising is confined to 4 wheels.
20180930_111930.jpg
20180527_120036.jpg
20170221_111055.jpg
20161002_123602.jpg
15241338_1480418955305737_5643363606051522240_n.jpg

·
Premium Member
2018 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
580 Posts
80 yrs... how unworthy I feel now thinking that I'm too old. But if I went to the wife and hinted about another bike I fairly well know want she would say. "You're almost 67, think you are 30, feel 80 and look 90. You got a bike on the porch... start pedaling".

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I believe that by law, and hopefully a someone will chime in here. but you can return a vehicle and walk away from a loan within 72 hours of the actual loan approval. I guess 72 hours has past but if not take it back. Notify the bank.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,418 Posts
I believe that by law, and hopefully a someone will chime in here. but you can return a vehicle and walk away from a loan within 72 hours of the actual loan approval. I guess 72 hours has past but if not take it back. Notify the bank.
Different regions of the country may be, well, different, but generally with a car purchase there is no grace period.

The second you accept the keys the car is yours and the dealer doesn't have to take the car back barring the slim chance the car is a lemon. Or one may have some recourse if he can prove the dealer seriously misled him regarding the car.

That said, there are exceptions. Maybe consumer protection laws do allow for a grace period. I know when I have purchased cars the dealer has gone out of its way -- late in the buying process -- to make it clear there is *no* grace period.

I have 2nd hand knowledge of dealers taking cars back but under special circumstance.

Way back in 2002 shortly after I bought my new Boxster at the dealer I spotted a very very low miles 996 for sale in the used car lot. I asked about this car and here's the story.

A guy bought the car and shortly afterwards the new car's engine developed a "ticking" noise. Turned out to be noisy lifters -- not an unknown problem with these engines -- and the dealer under warranty removed the factory lifters and installed new ones and the noise was gone.

But the owner refused to accept car back after the repairs claiming his enjoyment of the car was permanently negatively affected knowing the engine had been opened up. (Actually just the cam shaft cover on one cylinder bank was removed.)

But the dealer relented and took the car back but in this case the customer bought another car.

More recently, a guy bought a very top of the line Porsche model. GT3. He found out the car had some "paint" issues. The protective shipping plastic wrap was put on too soon while the clear coat was still "damp" and as a result there were two little areas (each about as big around as a silver dollar, which most here will probably go "huh?") where the clear coat finish was not smooth. The areas were block sanded and brought to the proper degree of smoothness and polish and even though I was shown where the areas were that were sanded I could not tell the clear coat had been touched.

Even so the buyer rejected the car. And the dealer relented and took the car back and the customer then turned around and bought another similar car.

I looked at this the car the dealer had taken back and was tempted but the dealer sold the car to a buyer in Texas for way more than I thought the car would go for, should go for.

But in the cases I'm aware of the car was taken back not because the buyer had a change of heart, he had some legitimate (?) complaint/reason to reject the car. That in both cases the buyer bought another car -- and was otherwise a good customer having bought other cars from the dealer over the years -- also helped make the dealer's decision to take the car back easier.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Different regions of the country may be, well, different, but generally with a car purchase there is no grace period.

The second you accept the keys the car is yours and the dealer doesn't have to take the car back barring the slim chance the car is a lemon. Or one may have some recourse if he can prove the dealer seriously misled him regarding the car.
True. I have seen a few who wright it in to attract customers for a satisfaction guaranteed type thing but unless their is deliberate deception it's yours. Seen the same thing on home loans.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Well in MD if you ever into a financial contract you can bail if you choose as long as it is less than 72 hours. so in hindsight that may mean that you can walk away from the loan but not the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Reactions: Home Theater Guy

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Almost two weeks ago my wife and I were sitting down to breakfast, and she tells me she wants me to trade in my 12 R/T for a Hellcat. She will make half the payments. At first I declined, because of money. However, it was a tempting offer and she persisted that we at least look at the numbers. So, I relented. We drove the 90 miles down to the dealership, I test drove a beautiful black on black Hellcat...and don't really remember much until I was sitting there going "HOLY SHIT I HAVE A HELLCAT!" Suffice to say, in this mental state, I probably didn't get the best deal. Payments would suck, but be doable. Wasn't much room for anything else. Honestly I shouldn't have done it. Wife, wasn't real happy with the numbers, and was real unhappy with the insurance hike. She regretted even bringing up the notion at breakfast.

Next day I am informed by the bank that they are not financing the car. The bank even went so far as to tell me to take the car back. So I did, after hours of trying to reach the dealership for help and not getting a call back. When I did get to the dealership, they of course gave me the run around, told me the bank can't decline financing...blah blah blah. So began a week of getting the run around, getting lied to by both the dealership and the bank, and outright rudeness. Meanwhile, I have a Hellcat in the garage that I am not driving, because I don't even know if it is mine! If I had to turn it in, I wouldn't be liable for mileage, but I would be for any damage. After a week of this, I was angry and frustrated and just wanted to give the damn Hellcat back, get my old R/T back, and be done with the whole situation.

Well, one week to the day I drove off the lot, the bank and the dealership indivudially call me and say the deal went through. The bank mysteriously changed their mind on the deal....(I wonder what the dealership did to incentivize them?) and the car is mine. Okay, cool. Car is mine, time to start paying off this expensive ass loan and enjoy the car.

My wife looks at me after I get off the phone and tells me that we can't keep the car. Can't afford it any more. She then proceeds to hand me a postive pregnancy test.

Yup. Baby on the way changes everything.

So, in summary, I stupidly bought a Hellcat I could barely afford, didn't even get to drive it for a week, and now I have to sell it for what I owe (impossible?) or trade it in on a cheaper car and lose my ass on the deal because I am about to be a daddy.

Any advice anyone can give me?
A child is a definite Blessing from God, and God knew she was pregnant before she did, so maybe He was behind all the bank mumbo jumbo, however, He did allow it to go through, so get on your knees and Thank God for everything, and ask Him to get you through it all!

God will not put more on you than you are capable of handling and will always make a way for you to survive, but the child, is way more important than any car!

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
You could go back to the dealer and ask them to take it back and get back into your old car. My question is, how much will it cost? If your serious about it, start out and see if 2k will do it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
True. I have seen a few who write it in to attract customers for a satisfaction guaranteed type thing but unless their is deliberate deception it's yours. Seen the same thing on home loans.
Spelling correction , write not wright lol.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,371 Posts
The OP hasn't responded since the original post... I hope they have not made any rash decisions...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I was in the car game selling Chrysler vehicles, when a customer that I recognized entered the showroom in a panic. He had purchased a car for his daughter on Saturday and was back Monday morning. He needed to speak to the Owner or anyone in charge.
Basically, he heard a rumor over the weekend from a fellow pilot friend that his company had let go a bunch of corporate pilots which was verified the following Monday morning. As he told me the story, I realized that we had worked for the same private aviation company and we immediately clicked!

He met with our GSM, who patiently listened to the story, and then contacted our finance guy to cancel the deal, and the vehicle was returned. I was surprised that the process was so painless.

About a week or so later, he was back in the dealership. He saw me on the floor, and walked up to me with a smile and stuck out his hand. He and his wife were back to repurchase the same vehicle for the daughter.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.