Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the shop yesterday to pick up some parts for my other project (33 HR) and was checking out all the toys that are eagerly awaiting to be awoken from their winter slumber....soon, very soon.

On the 70 Challenger I notice a reflection under the car as I got closer and discovered a good sized puddle on tranny fluid (probably 12" in dia.). I need to get it on the lift to figure out what's up, it can't be the pan gasket since that was just changed last year. Not sure.......probably the front seal since it's in the back of the engine.

If I need to pull the tranny then I'm not even going to deal with the stock 904 tranny anymore, I'll put a new 904 in since the current one shifts funky anyway.

Time will tell.

Going to be a busy spring / summer with maintenance on the toys, noticed the other day the water pump gasket on our 65 mustang started leaking over the winter too (nice puddle of antifreeze under the car).

No worries......not complaining, I don't mind keeping these classics running and on the road. (y)

Jim

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Could also be a cooling line also. I rebuilt a 727 years ago, every seal and gasket brand new. It still leaked afterwards although not very bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just shows how these cars were not meant to be parked. Seals and bearings rely on regular use to keep the seals soft (additives/chemicals in the fluids). Often overlooked are heater cores and air conditioning compressors that also need regular use to maintain seals.
Engine/transmissions need to be warmed up to operating temperatures and condensation allowed to evaporate as these systems were designed to do. The transmissions also need to be run through their gears and the wheel bearings and brakes need to be used.
No different than someone who is bedridden for a period of time and then gets up to do a marathon. Must have regular excercise.
Transmission fluid is very thin and just a few drops will disperse to a large spot.
If you don't find a mechanical reason for the leak ( loose bolt etc...) try an additive like Lucas trans additive. We had good luck in the shop on transmissions that were headed for a rebuild and the customers were unable to afford it at that time.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be a power steering fluid leak as well, if you're using tranny fluid in the PS.
Don't think it's P.S...... it'd dead on center in the rear of the engine...but I'll know for sure in a few weeks when I get it on the lift. Too many toys and too crappy of weather to do anything about it yet.

Jim

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could also be a cooling line also. I rebuilt a 727 years ago, every seal and gasket brand new. It still leaked afterwards although not very bad.
Possibly, that would be easiest.....cooling lines are on the driver's side, the puddle is dead center behind the engine unless it's leaking and following down the case before dripping down. Will know more once I dig deeper.

Jim

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just shows how these cars were not meant to be parked. Seals and bearings rely on regular use to keep the seals soft (additives/chemicals in the fluids). Often overlooked are heater cores and air conditioning compressors that also need regular use to maintain seals.
Engine/transmissions need to be warmed up to operating temperatures and condensation allowed to evaporate as these systems were designed to do. The transmissions also need to be run through their gears and the wheel bearings and brakes need to be used.
No different than someone who is bedridden for a period of time and then gets up to do a marathon. Must have regular excercise.
Transmission fluid is very thin and just a few drops will disperse to a large spot.
If you don't find a mechanical reason for the leak ( loose bolt etc...) try an additive like Lucas trans additive. We had good luck in the shop on transmissions that were headed for a rebuild and the customers were unable to afford it at that time.
good advice.

Jim

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Tranny isn't the original to the car?
It's original...this is a 318 motor which the 904 was standard. It's the only component on the car that has not been gone through....my guess is with the built engine, it probably exercising the worn tranny quite a bit.

The family (estate) I bought the car from had all the engine documents (where it was build, test info, receipts, etc.) but nothing on the tranny so my best guess is the PO had the engine professionally built and meant to do the tranny but he got sick shortly after the engine was done and the car sat for a long period (couple years) before I bought it so I'm wondering if the family just had the engine / training reinstalled and running so it could be sold after the PO passed away.

Engine is nice & clean, tranny is pretty greasy, so I'm sure it's never been touched. It was on my to do anyway, so no biggie.

Jim

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,128 Posts
Reactions: friendoffur

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Make sure the tranny is not over filled - - - - -add a can of Lucas trans sealer for luck.
I will verify the fluid level, although I would think If the tranny was over-filled it would have leaked throughout last spring / summer. I changed the pan gasket during the winter of 2019/2020 and ran this thing the whole year without any issues and there were a couple times it sat for a few weeks at a time being dry underneath.

Nothing wrong with the additives a few people have now mentioned to stop leaks, I know they work, but for me personally, that falls into a pay me now / pay me later category. For those following any of my build strings on this 70 Challenger, this thing is 99% rebuilt with about the only thing not touched being the transmission and the torsion bars (which the torsion bars are getting changed this summer) so I'd rather fix the issue completely verses using an additive which feels like temporary fix.

Jim

·
Registered
157 Posts
Make sure the tranny is not over filled - - - - -add a can of Lucas trans sealer for luck.
I have tried all kinds of stop leak over the years with little or no results. Recently I tried Hapco stop leak; had a heavy power steering box leak. I put in a tiny amount to fill the small diameter reservoir; leak completely stopped after driving car for a few miles. Then I added about 1-1/2 ounces to manual transmission that had seeping rear seal. Leak stopped immediately. I was astonished.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have tried all kinds of stop leak over the years with little or no results. Recently I tried Hapco stop leak; had a heavy power steering box leak. I put in a tiny amount to fill the small diameter reservoir; leak completely stopped after driving car for a few miles. Then I added about 1-1/2 ounces to manual transmission that had seeping rear seal. Leak stopped immediately. I was astonished.
Product was caled "Pro Seal"

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Carl

It's sad to say that the 70 Challenger is still sitting in storage, I have been so busy lately that I still have not pulled her out. I still have several cars to pull out and drive yet this year. Can't believe it's August already. :cry::cry:

I will get it out in the couple of weeks or so (I hope). Once I do, I'll get it on the lift to figure out where the leak is coming from.

Jim

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FINALLY brought the old gal home tonight. What a crazy busy summer. I'll get it on the lift over the weekend and try to figure out where the tranny is leaking from.

Also need to check my pinion angles and u-joints and maybe have my drive shaft balanced. I forgot from last year that I have a very noticeable vibration on the accelerator pedal and seat. When I re-did the rear last summer, I never checked the pinion angles. Always tinkering on the toys (not a complaint, I love tinkering).

Jim

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts