Dodge Challenger Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I had a 3/4 ton truck with a vibration, it was annoying I never could track it down but I always suspected a driveshaft issue. The truck just came “alive” at about interstate speeds and the 4.10 gears, even with an overdrive made it worse.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I had a 3/4 ton truck with a vibration, it was annoying I never could track it down but I always suspected a driveshaft issue. The truck just came “alive” at about interstate speeds and the 4.10 gears, even with an overdrive made it worse.
Yup, vibrations annoy the s**t out of me.

Jim

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Waiting....still waiting. :whistle::whistle::whistle: Going to be a long 2-3 weeks.

Patience is not my strength, but I did get the entire area under the car (floor boards, exhaust, suspension, front K-member, subframe connectors, etc.) wiped down / cleaned. It's amazing from just restoring the under carriage 2 years ago how much dust and grim builds up in that short period of time.

I'm guessing my neighbors were scratching their heads with the car on the lift and me under it with a pail of water and rags / towels wiping it down. :LOL::LOL:

Jim

·
Registered
2018 392 / 6 Speed
84 Posts
I stopped by the shop yesterday to pick up some parts for my other project (33 HR) and was checking out all the toys that are eagerly awaiting to be awoken from their winter slumber....soon, very soon.

On the 70 Challenger I notice a reflection under the car as I got closer and discovered a good sized puddle on tranny fluid (probably 12" in dia.). I need to get it on the lift to figure out what's up, it can't be the pan gasket since that was just changed last year. Not sure.......probably the front seal since it's in the back of the engine.

If I need to pull the tranny then I'm not even going to deal with the stock 904 tranny anymore, I'll put a new 904 in since the current one shifts funky anyway.

Time will tell.

Going to be a busy spring / summer with maintenance on the toys, noticed the other day the water pump gasket on our 65 mustang started leaking over the winter too (nice puddle of antifreeze under the car).

No worries......not complaining, I don't mind keeping these classics running and on the road. (y)

Jim
Not uncommon for a car that is not getting driven enough to start leaking. my 71 'Cuda used to leak fluid out of the vent on top of the case. The only cause I could come up with was fluid in the TC draining back in to the case. My .02

--Jeff

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I called the drive shaft place Friday to get a sense of ETA when I can expect my drive shafted to be ready and the guy I talked to said "we're getting closer, only about 100 in front of you" o_Oo_O Great googly / moogly!! Wow, I'm guessing this is going to take all of the 3 weeks I was quoted plus maybe more.

Ugh!!

Jim

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Got a call from the driveline shop this morning, either someone there is a Mopar fan or they ran into some difficult / time consuming shafts, because my drive shaft got pulled up in the mix and should be done tomorrow.

First thing they noticed is either the drive shaft was dropped at some point or damaged in life from u-joint swaps but one of the ears on the rear of the shaft was not at 90 degrees so they will need to replace the rear yoke and given that the yoke was off they are going to replace the u-joints too and then balance it up.

I'm guessing (hoping) between the drive shaft fix/balance and the tire balancing all the shaking will be gone.

Getting closer.

jim

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Just came back from an hour and half cruise around the town, night & day difference from where it was, no more harmonic vibration in the seat or the floor board. Super happy!!

Jim

41 - 53 of 53 Posts