Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 R/T 6 speed manual. I have been having a problem taking it out of gear after parking on any type of incline. I have left it in 1st and reverse and it still locks in that gear. I turn it off and start it again and it usually comes out of gear. I have my clutch completely depressed, emergency brake off and foot on brake petal. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? It has 20K miles and is precertified. Thank you!!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,190 Posts
Sounds like the input shaft is gunked up. A trip to the dealer maybe in order, you are under warranty (5 year powertrain)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the input shaft is gunked up. A trip to the dealer maybe in order, you are under warranty (5 year powertrain)
Thank you for that information! Would that also make it difficult to go into certain gears while driving?

·
Administrator
55,190 Posts
Thank you for that information! Would that also make it difficult to go into certain gears while driving?
Possibly, or that could be the skip shift feature. Under certain conditions it makes you go from 1st to 4th. It does not affect other shift functions.

·
Administrator
55,190 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
That happened to my 2010 Challenger. I brought it in a couple times and they refused to fix it. I had regular warranty AND and extended warranty but they said they could not reproduce the problem.
I showed them the printout from several websites but they said they did not see any service bulletins on it.
The last thing I was going to do is the next time it got stuck, call a wrecker and start having them tow my car to the dealer Every time it happens till they fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That happened to my 2010 Challenger. I brought it in a couple times and they refused to fix it. I had regular warranty AND and extended warranty but they said they could not reproduce the problem.
I showed them the printout from several websites but they said they did not see any service bulletins on it.
The last thing I was going to do is the next time it got stuck, call a wrecker and start having them tow my car to the dealer Every time it happens till they fix it.
Dang!! I have talked to my local dealerships service manager and he has owned 3 challengers and he said it has something to do with the linkage "tightening" up when the vehicle rolled back slightly after turning it off and pressing the emergency brake in. Thank you for you remarks!

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 R/T 6 speed manual. I have been having a problem taking it out of gear after parking on any type of incline. I have left it in 1st and reverse and it still locks in that gear. I turn it off and start it again and it usually comes out of gear. I have my clutch completely depressed, emergency brake off and foot on brake petal. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? It has 20K miles and is precertified. Thank you!!
On an incline if you are in 1st or reverse, the mass of the vehicle multiplies the force on the splines of the input shaft.
The transmission should always be in direct drive which is 4th gear. Also, apply the parking brake first, take your foot off the service brake, make shure the car stays planted, then put the transmission in gear. 4th. That way, there is never any pressure on the input shaft splines. Being in gear is an added safety factor.
-John

·
Registered
292 Posts
well, we all know how well the parking brakes are in the Challengers and I am not so sure if I would trust that and 4th gear to hold my car on a steep incline. Much better option is to trade it in and get a Hellcat with an Automatic transmission :)

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
well, we all know how well the parking brakes are in the Challengers and I am not so sure if I would trust that and 4th gear to hold my car on a steep incline. Much better option is to trade it in and get a Hellcat with an Automatic transmission :)
Nah, that don't work either. You run the risk of getting jammed in Park. The solenoid in the transmission is not strong enough to move the parking pawl out of the clutch drum. The owners manual states it may be "difficult" to dis-engage from the park position. But that's a loaded statement. Last summer a Charger had to be rescued off a steep boat ramp. A chain and a pickup had to pull him forward just a tad to release the pressure on the parking pawl. This snippet is from the owners manual for my son's hellcat...

When parking on a hill, it is important to turn the front
wheels toward the curb on a downhill grade and away
from the curb on an uphill grade. For vehicles equipped
with an automatic transmission, apply the parking brake
before placing the shift lever in PARK, otherwise the load
on the transmission locking mechanism may make it
difficult to move the shift lever out of PARK. The parking
brake should always be applied whenever the driver is
not in the vehicle.

FWIW... the people that live on the hills of San Francisco are experts at using the parking brake and turning the steering wheels towards the curb and NOT getting jammed in Park. They learn really quick. And if you think the Challenger parking brake is sub-par, it's broken. Get it fixed.
-John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha!! I would love a hellcat but can’t do an automatic!!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Haha!! I would love a hellcat but can’t do an automatic!!
Have you driven a Challenger with the TorqueFlite Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission in Sport mode? There is a reason they put these automatics in their fastest cars. They out perform the manuals. This ain't 1970 anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you driven a Challenger with the TorqueFlite Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission in Sport mode? There is a reason they put these automatics in their fastest cars. They out perform the manuals. This ain't 1970 anymore.
They barely, vaguely, ever-so-slightly out perform the manual. Unless you are racing for a living or placing large bets grudge racing, the difference is a moot point. Also, the street racing game will land you in jail and could get your car seized. Authorities just seized 60 plus cars in Charlotte NC due to antics on the street. I grew up street racing in the 70's but back then you could find an actual deserted road and if the law did show up they would scold you and let you know they were gonna tell your dad the next time they saw him. As you said already, it ain't 1970 anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With all due respect I enjoy the fun of changing gears and feathering a clutch!! Speed is great but not the main reason I purchased this vehicle!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts