Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and searched and seen similar issues but not exactly what I am experiencing. Peoples descriptions can be different than others so I finally decided to post something, I'll do my best to describe whats going on.

This is a manual transmission, 2018. I have driven manual all my life in cars, big trucks etc. I did change out the stock shifter to a barton however the issue existed with the stock unit. Pretty much from day one. Dealer has looked at it and could not see anything (lash was good to go, mounts looked good etc.) or replicate the issue. I ignored it for a year and the other night I had a friend drive it to make sure I wasn't crazy (he's an ASE master tech for 30 years, teaches auto tech at community college now). He could replicate it and feel it, but other than that he didn't have much to add (we got side tracked) other than to start checking obvious things underneath first. Maybe I am just sensitive or not used to the tr6060. Who knows...but here goes.

Occasionally (not all the time) I hear/feel a thud coming from either the transmission or somewhere behind it back to the rear end during an upshift into 2nd and occasionally from 2nd to 3rd. Clutch in, right about 2,800-3,000 rpms, just before getting it into second, it makes a thud and almost feels like something is moving just before it slips into gear. This happens under load and under moderate speed (not inching along and not hauling ass).

Everything else feels and sounds normal. Its not hard to get in or out of gear, there is no unreasonable amount of notchyness, slop, no loud whine, grinding etc. One thing I am doing soon is the clutch delay valve delete. Other than that, am I missing something that's pretty common? Thanks for any input in advance!

·
Trigger657
2,785 Posts
I have searched and searched and seen similar issues but not exactly what I am experiencing. Peoples descriptions can be different than others so I finally decided to post something, I'll do my best to describe whats going on.

This is a manual transmission, 2018. I have driven manual all my life in cars, big trucks etc. I did change out the stock shifter to a barton however the issue existed with the stock unit. Pretty much from day one. Dealer has looked at it and could not see anything (lash was good to go, mounts looked good etc.) or replicate the issue. I ignored it for a year and the other night I had a friend drive it to make sure I wasn't crazy (he's an ASE master tech for 30 years, teaches auto tech at community college now). He could replicate it and feel it, but other than that he didn't have much to add (we got side tracked) other than to start checking obvious things underneath first. Maybe I am just sensitive or not used to the tr6060. Who knows...but here goes.

Occasionally (not all the time) I hear/feel a thud coming from either the transmission or somewhere behind it back to the rear end during an upshift into 2nd and occasionally from 2nd to 3rd. Clutch in, right about 2,800-3,000 rpms, just before getting it into second, it makes a thud and almost feels like something is moving just before it slips into gear. This happens under load and under moderate speed (not inching along and not hauling ass).

Everything else feels and sounds normal. Its not hard to get in or out of gear, there is no unreasonable amount of notchyness, slop, no loud whine, grinding etc. One thing I am doing soon is the clutch delay valve delete. Other than that, am I missing something that's pretty common? Thanks for any input in advance!
This is something me and others have looked into. I'm on my second challenger 6 spd. This 2014 SRT8 does just like the 09 R/T and clunks too. I had brought the 09 to the dealership and had them look into it. They told me they could not find anything wrong with it and it was an on-going complaint. Went to a hot rod shop and the guy told me he had the same problem with his 2015 SRT8 and never could find the problem....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is something me and others have looked into. I'm on my second challenger 6 spd. This 2014 SRT8 does just like the 09 R/T and clunks too. I had brought the 09 to the dealership and had them look into it. They told me they could not find anything wrong with it and it was an on-going complaint. Went to a hot rod shop and the guy told me he had the same problem with his 2015 SRT8 and never could find the problem....
Thanks for the reply and information. Have you removed the clutch delay valve? If so did it help with it at all? From what I've read its probably not related but who knows. It's a little annoying but nothing I am loosing my head over.

·
Trigger657
2,785 Posts
Thanks for the reply and information. Have you removed the clutch delay valve? If so did it help with it at all? From what I've read its probably not related but who knows. It's a little annoying but nothing I am loosing my head over.
No I haven't, but then I'm not a racer. Don't see the need for that. I just like the feel of going thru the gears.
Also I only get the clunking at very slow speeds, mostly 1st to 2nd. Called the guy who bought my 09 R/T from me he's still going strong. He's getting close to 150,000 on the Speedo..

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,162 Posts
Just about every 6 speed Challenger owner that I know personally that have a good amount of miles on their car has the clunk. Most of the cause is the lash in the rear end.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
It’s your propeller shaft ( drive shafts) the 15s had a recall but you had to complain to get it . Mine was replaced but it’s doing it again, less so . I imagine yours being a 19 they aren’t admitting it yet .
I bet it doesn’t only happen on take off , if you cruise down a hill-straight under no acceleration then start accelerating, clunk . If you try and replicate it over and over it can / will disappear for a bit .
Good luck with the dealers or dodge they are next to hopeless and treat problems like a criminal proceedings. I see nothing I know nothing :rolleyes::(

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Check your drive shaft especially the center support of the 2 piece shaft make sure the center hanger bearing support is tight, check all the u joints for play, and check the torque on every bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. I will add that this car only has 3800 miles on it and I probably didn't do such a good job describing when it happens. I've never noticed it with clutch out or when I accelerate or decelerate, it seems to be related to when I move the shifter into 1st from reverse or neutral, 1st to 2nd and sometimes into 3rd.

I removed the CDV and can tell a positive difference in the clutch feel but no effect on the thud as suspected. Putting it back in the garage I did notice a few things and can at least narrow it down a little and replicate it. Moving the shifter from reverse or nuetral into first, parking brake on, foot not on the brake pedal, engine running I got the thud. I put it back in nuetral released the parking brake and let it roll an inch or two, apply parking brake, move back to first and...thud. I repeated that and 9 out of 10 times I can replicate it. Has to be running. Its stemmin from the shifter movement which makes me think that it shouldn't be able to move the rear like that but what do I know? Is there that much slack from the trans output shaft to the drive shaft and back that it would do that?

Seeing everyones comments and after more searching tonight I'm seeing these cars (and many others) have drive shaft/rear end thuds, clunks etc. So...sorry about posting on this topic for the millionth time Haha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well thank you and glad to be here! I love this car and its a keeper even with the clunk and I have never had a 100% "perfect" car.

I drive it to work today to get a few more miles behind the wheel and I will say doing the cdv yesterday has made the clutch feel more like I am accustomed to. Maybe more connected, more control I guess...just better. I am not an aggressive driver or racing it, so even for everyday putting around driving and getting on it from time to time it feels much better. It took me ten minutes and even did it from the top with my big gorilla hands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts