Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here
will be buying an AWD challenger in the next few months . Want a muscle car but live in snow country , and do not want a car i have to store for five months of the year .
Plan is to add a RIPP supercharger system to make it a worthy muscle car.
Question: Anyone know of any one offering an upgrade for the stock tranny and cost if there are. The torque numbers the supercharger adds are at the limit of what the transmission is rated for . I would like to have a little more safety margin with the tranny .

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I’ll be looking to upgrade my HP70 and have heard numbers thrown around to the tune of $5,500 for an upgrade kit. May have to see what’s involved with a used HP90 swap.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hp90 would be perfect . Is it a direct swap in ?
My engine builder is currently doing an HP90 swap into a project like mine and said it’s not an easy, straight across, install. Sounds like they’re fighting with it a little so am waiting to see how that project goes first. I know there are good used HP90’s out there for around $3,500. Not a clue how things go together on the AWD cars though.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,559 Posts
New here
will be buying an AWD challenger in the next few months . Want a muscle car but live in snow country , and do not want a car i have to store for five months of the year .
Plan is to add a RIPP supercharger system to make it a worthy muscle car.
Question: Anyone know of any one offering an upgrade for the stock tranny and cost if there are. The torque numbers the supercharger adds are at the limit of what the transmission is rated for . I would like to have a little more safety margin with the tranny .
Wait a few months and the possibility of ordering a Jeep Rubicon 392 (450 hp) just might work for you. The production date hasn't been announced yet, but it is expected to be announced along with the Hybrid Wrangler for 2022.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if the size of the tranny is different maybe a hp70 could work .
Even still no company offers mods for these to be a little beefier ?
Don't want a SUV, the Durango allready comes with a hemi .plus the price is a little steep .

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
So far I haven't seen complaints Supercharged base models having trans issues. I know the base 8spd rating is close to what the Supercharger adds. Aren't all the 8 spd the same case with more clutches and heavy duty components in the higher capacity models?

Reactions: wvhemis

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
So far I haven't seen complaints Supercharged base models having trans issues. I know the base 8spd rating is close to what the Supercharger adds. Aren't all the 8 spd the same case with more clutches and heavy duty components in the higher capacity models?
The “70” in HP70 stands for it taking up to 700 newton meters of torque. That equates to around 516 pound ft. of torque. A boosted engine could easily get beyond that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True
Although the RIPP supercharger on the pentastar V6 put out about 415 hp to the wheels and about 370 torque. Plenty for me , and wouldn't want to push anymore than that .
The hp70 would be a perfect upgrade for peace of mind on that set up .

·
Registered
362 Posts
The “70” in HP70 stands for it taking up to 700 newton meters of torque. That equates to around 516 pound ft. of torque. A boosted engine could easily get beyond that.
Not with a V6. Trust me these are glorious transmissions, they match the 4L85E rating in the lowest version. There may be things like line pressure tweaks, the 4L85E needs more pressure and is then good for 600 ft/lbs of torque. I am happy to have one car with a decent trans, the rest, not so much. I love this 8 spd, shifts great, even towing. Our old 5 spd Challenger was also good, again no issues behind boosted motors. So much better than the old Mopar or GM 4 spd trans behind power without a ton of upgrades.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
This guy has done about everything you can think of on his RIPP’d V6 Challenger. Might want to check out his vid collection and see what he’s been up too...

·
Registered
362 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts