Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard these called a few different things, but I'm calling them pistons. The pistons holding up my trunk (2016 scat pack shaker) don't work almost at all when it's cold. I still have a full factory warranty, but I was wondering if this was a common issue for these? I don't want to go through the trouble of having them replaced with the same kind if this is going to be an issue again in a week. I'd rather just buy some better ones if that's the case.

However, if not many other people are having this issue with the originals, then I'd definitely prefer to get free ones.

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
I as well have never had an issue.

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,587 Posts
Haven't had that issue with the Challenger yet....had it with my old SUV...

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
51,222 Posts
Never had an issue either with the Challenger. I did just replace the hood struts on the 2011 Charger.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I would not hesitate to get them fixed under warranty with factory parts. Any aftermarket parts will not be any better and probably won’t last as long. One of my hood struts went out last month. I replaced them both with factory parts for less than $50. They were very easy to replace.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I just changed the original ones on my 2005 Chrysler 300. You may want to go to your dealer, they will change them i am sure.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
2,992 Posts
Cold weather operation is a common complaint with trunk and hatch struts. They are gas charged and cold temperatures lessen the ability of the gas to resist weight. A couple good, reliable brands are Stabilus and StrongArm. Just keep in mind that all gas struts will be affected by cold weather to some degree - especially when it's freezing out.

Here's a link to the StrongArm's so you can see if they are what you'd like.

Reactions: Kustom1950ford

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've heard these called a few different things, but I'm calling them pistons. The pistons holding up my trunk (2016 scat pack shaker) don't work almost at all when it's cold. I still have a full factory warranty, but I was wondering if this was a common issue for these? I don't want to go through the trouble of having them replaced with the same kind if this is going to be an issue again in a week. I'd rather just buy some better ones if that's the case.

However, if not many other people are having this issue with the originals, then I'd definitely prefer to get free ones.
Based on my experience with other cars, and more recently very limited experience -- just 10 months with my JCW and just 8 months with my Hellcat -- hood/hatch/trunk strut problems are rare.

In fact my only problem with any struts on any cars was with a previous car, a Boxster. Both the front and rear trunk struts wore out -- failed to support the lid when it was open. I just bought new ones at the dealer parts department and a tech told me how to work the spring catch/latch (easy peasy) and I replaced them myself.

I don't recall the age at which the struts had to be replaced but I owned the car from new for 16 years and it was within the last couple of years the struts had to be replaced. Easy the struts lasted 10 years and probably closer to 14 years. And I used the trunks often to carry stuff cause there wasn't that much room in the cabin. So every drive to work or home from work had my using one of the two trunks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts