Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, someone give me the details on all this please :)
I hear people say 'get a tuner' all the time for their Challenger. There is a few people on here that I've actually seen get a 0-60 time of UNDER 6 seconds in their V6, after the tuner install. So I know it actually does something, but....

WHAT does it do? Does it just make your car drive more aggressive (holding revs longer, faster throttle response), thus squeezing out every bit of power it has? Isn't that exactly what the sport mode button on our cars does?

Where do you buy this 'tuner'? Where do you go to have it installed? How much does it cost?

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like a useful performance mod, but I just don't know much about it. Thanks!:smileup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
The biggest thing with the tuner is it makes the ride more fun. You can increase the throttle response and the shift firmness to make it feel more like a sports car. I found the tuner didnt really increase power too much, it was more improving the driveability and fun factor.

You purchase it at most speed shops or online and you definitely install it yourself. The Intune is cheaper ($350-$400) while the Trinity is around $550-$600. The trinity can act more like a gauge and a lot of people keep it plugged in, sitting on their dash like a GPS while the Intune is the size of an ipod but doesnt show you any information while you drive. You only load the tune once onto your car and then your set, no need to keep it plugged in or even in your car.

When i bought mine i was completely new to tuners but as long as you read the instructions that comes with it and know how to work a computer then youll be able to install it onto your car.

The throttle change was my favorite part of the tuner but another great part is being able to record data while you drive and look at all the info on your computer or laptop.

Reactions: KeysB5Blue

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
Tuners are definitely worth it. Gives you about 15hp/15tq increase over stock using the provided canned tunes loaded on the tuner when you buy it. It plugs into your OBDII port under your dash and reprograms your car's computer.

It adjusts things like spark timing and fuel curves. You can also adjust throttle sensitivity, adjust fan settings, datalog with your laptop for further tuning, etc.

You can also check around for a used tuner that will work with your year Challenger to save some bucks.

You won't be gaining 100hp or anything, but you'll notice the power increase and it makes the car more responsive and fun to drive. Well worth it.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
well said in the two posts above so not too much to add other than we have a couple of site sponsors that carry these tuners and I'm sure they will not only hook you up with what you need but they will also help with any issues you might encounter. Worth a look in my opinion.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
The OP has a Rallye which has the sports mode, would a tuner still be beneficial as the sports mode already changes shift points and makes the car more responsive. I'm asking as I also have the sports mode (SXT Plus) and not sure how much difference it would make for Challengers with the sports mode.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The OP has a Rallye which has the sports mode, would a tuner still be beneficial as the sports mode already changes shift points and makes the car more responsive. I'm asking as I also have the sports mode (SXT Plus) and not sure how much difference it would make for Challengers with the sports mode.
I was thinking the same thing...the sport mode button makes the shift points higher, holds shifts longer, increases throttle response to almost instantaneous, firmer shifts. As far as I can tell, the sport mode button does exactly what this tuner is supposed to do

·
Registered
179 Posts
I also have the SXT plus. I tried all the tunes 93, 91, 89 and 87 for fuel economy I couldn't see or feel a difference. Like you were wondering, just put it in sport mode. The only reason I'm not selling it, is a super charger in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's nice to see Dodge maximizing the V6 in adding a built in tuner (sports mode). I think I will skip the tuner upgrade until I decide to modify major components. I like how the sports mode really makes the car feel sportier.

This is my daily driver and I leave it in regular mode while stuck in traffic, then on weekends I switch to sports mode and it fells like a different car. :smileup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Call me crazy, but I've never really played around with the sport mode. I don't feel like I know enough about it. I thought it was just for racing...oops. Guess when she comes out of hibernation I have a new toy to mess around with. I think I will give that a try before dropping the cash on a tuner. I'm so grateful for this forum...I really learn a lot from everyone.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
Good point, didn't realize you guys had a sport mode or anything like that. It sounds like you probably get most of those features built in with the sport mode. If that's the case, then I would pass on the tuner.

For my car, it made a noticeable difference. If I had a sport mode that did all of that stuff with a touch of a button, I probably would have passed on the tuner as well.

If you plan on doing some significant mods in the future though like headers, exhaust, supercharger, throttle body, heads/cam, etc. then having a tuner is a must since you'll need it to change things like timing/fuel based on your other changes. But with a relatively stock setup, outside of the little bonuses I've described, that's about all you'll get, and with a sport mode, might not be worth it.

·
Banned
473 Posts
This is no knock anyone's opinion, but just an observation. When I was a kid, almost everyone knew how to tune their cars. We'd tweak timing, fuel/air mixture, spark, dwell, and suspension, in addition to bolt on mods to squeeze every bit of power out of our rides while keeping em purring like a cat. Since then I see, with many exceptions, that we've got a generation of folks who don't comprehend how how the internal combustion engine really works. They just know you push this button or flip that switch and it works. This is no one's fault - The car manufactures have done all they can to make cars low maintenance and meet fuel economy and safety requirements, so there's no real "need" for everyone to be an automotive engineer. In the old days, it was just part of owning a car. That said, for anyone who really doesn't know what a tuner/programmer is for, then I enthusiastically recommend saving your money. If you are more on the technical side or willing to learn how the engine works - and how changing parameters along with modest engine mods impacts how the engine runs, then I say, go for it - you won't be sorry. I have sport mode on my car too and all it does is stiffen the suspension and change the shift points - it doesn't create any more power. The tuning I've done, and tweaked multiple times, makes real horsepower in the engine, not just changes to the transmission shift points. That's not to devalue the importance of the drive train, and the great thing is that a tuner not only gives you control of the engine, but also the transmission control module, so you can make more power, and also put more to the wheels. This is measurable by time trials, as well as the data logging that a tuner gives you. Finally, as many have already pointed out, if you make any major change to your engine, to include injectors, cams, forced induction, etc., you must have a tuner to make it work right. All that said, it boils down to this, if you are happy with your car, just drive it and keep your money, but if you have the tinkering bug like some of us old (and new) timers, then a programmer is an indispensable tool.

Reactions: jklotz10

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is no knock anyone's opinion, but just an observation. When I was a kid, almost everyone knew how to tune their cars. We'd tweak timing, fuel/air mixture, spark, dwell, and suspension, in addition to bolt on mods to squeeze every bit of power out of our rides while keeping em purring like a cat. Since then I see, with many exceptions, that we've got a generation of folks who don't comprehend how how the internal combustion engine really works. They just know you push this button or flip that switch and it works. This is no one's fault - The car manufactures have done all they can to make cars low maintenance and meet fuel economy and safety requirements, so there's no real "need" for everyone to be an automotive engineer. In the old days, it was just part of owning a car. That said, for anyone really doesn't know what a tuner/programmer is for, then I enthusiastically recommend saving your money. If you are more on the technical side or willing to learn how the engine works and how changing parameters along with modest engine mods impacts how the engine runs, then I say, go for it - you won't be sorry. I have sport mode on my car too and all it does is stiffen the suspension and change the shift points - it doesn't create any more power. The tuning I've done, and tweaked multiple times, makes real horsepower in the engine, not just changes to the transmission shift points. That's not to devalue the importance of the drive train, but the great thing is that a tuner not only gives you control of the engine, but also the transmission control module, so you can make more power, and also put more to the wheels. This is measurable by time trials, as well as the data logging that a tuner gives you. Finally, as many have already pointed out, if you make any major change to your engine, to include injectors, cams, forced induction, etc., you must have a tuner to make it work right. All that said, it boils down to this, if you are happy with your car, just drive it and keep your money, but if you have the tinkering bug like some of us old (and new) timers, then a programmer is an indispensable tool.
Well said sir :smileup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.