Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Diablo T2 w/ unlocked ECU for my 18 T/A 392 a couple months ago and so far, so good (minus the screen locking up all the damn time!). I'm wanting to dig deep into tuning, however; I'm running into a bit of a road block finding the technical details into the 6.4L Hemi. After all, one does not get the most out of their tunes unless they understand what they're tuning... haha!

Wondering if anyone has any advice, good links, resources, and/or books to read up on. I looked around on here but couldn't find anything recent (within a year).
- I don't really want to play around with the "custom settings" while not fully understanding it (can't afford a new engine right now).

Another annoying thing Dodge has done in the 18+ years is completely lockdown the OBDII. To get the Diablo T2 to work, you have to install a "jumper" (or security bypass) from the passenger side under the dash to the stock OBDII > THEN you plug the T2 OBDII into that.
- Same for the Tazer, You have to install a secondary OBDII port in the trunk (supplied by Zautomotive) to bypass the stock OBDII security

ANYWAY! Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Though I know nothing about "tuning" you sound like your knowledge is pretty extensive by what you wrote. The only thing I can say is to speak to the people who you mention in your post. There is so much intertwined in the electronics of the car that to delve into it too deeply may interfere with safety features of your ride.
Example: Wife's X-5 Beemer had a rear tail light problem that was tied to the anti-lock braking system and seat belt system.
On reading about the Challenger and what is not available to the enthusiast are those features regarding achieving full power of even some stock rides. The safety parameters are exceeded beyond the driver's skills and could be ruinous to the vehicle.
Just Sayin'. Hope you achieve your goals albeit safely!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Though I know nothing about "tuning" you sound like your knowledge is pretty extensive by what you wrote. The only thing I can say is to speak to the people who you mention in your post. There is so much intertwined in the electronics of the car that to delve into it too deeply may interfere with safety features of your ride.
Example: Wife's X-5 Beemer had a rear tail light problem that was tied to the anti-lock braking system and seat belt system.
On reading about the Challenger and what is not available to the enthusiast are those features regarding achieving full power of even some stock rides. The safety parameters are exceeded beyond the driver's skills and could be ruinous to the vehicle.
Just Sayin'. Hope you achieve your goals albeit safely!
I understand the basics of tuning, but it's the technical side (air to fuel ratio, spark/timing, etc.) of it that I'm after and it's more for the track.

Yep! I found out how "electrically sensitive" these new vehicles really are!
- I apparently didn't tighten the negative battery terminal enough when swapping out my ECU and it caused all sorts of electrical gremlins! Windshield wipers, headlights, and tail lights didn't work (or worked when they wanted to) and my dash was lit up like a damn Christmas tree! It was connected just enough to start the car and still able to drive it though.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I'm following this thread to learn from your progress! I'm hoping others will chime in with their experiences to help you along in your quest. Having watched some the popular shows on TV there were episodes of adjusting shift points, air-to-fuel ratios, timing, and adjusting the speedo for gear ratios and tire sizes.
You Tube is a source for so many things as well.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT
159 Posts
Bought a Diablo T2 w/ unlocked ECU for my 18 T/A 392 a couple months ago and so far, so good (minus the screen locking up all the damn time!). I'm wanting to dig deep into tuning, however; I'm running into a bit of a road block finding the technical details into the 6.4L Hemi. After all, one does not get the most out of their tunes unless they understand what they're tuning... haha!

Wondering if anyone has any advice, good links, resources, and/or books to read up on. I looked around on here but couldn't find anything recent (within a year).
- I don't really want to play around with the "custom settings" while not fully understanding it (can't afford a new engine right now).

Another annoying thing Dodge has done in the 18+ years is completely lockdown the OBDII. To get the Diablo T2 to work, you have to install a "jumper" (or security bypass) from the passenger side under the dash to the stock OBDII > THEN you plug the T2 OBDII into that.
- Same for the Tazer, You have to install a secondary OBDII port in the trunk (supplied by Zautomotive) to bypass the stock OBDII security

Wow, at least on my 16 Challenger I can still plug in my tuner into the original OBDII, granted I needed an unlocked ECU. I did not realize they changed that!

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,205 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Reactions: DC1157RT

·
Registered
30 Posts

I’m sorry you got to run a jumper that sounds like a chore..

Are you running the available tunes with customizing options? I don’t wanna tell you something you already know but I’ll say it anyways for others who are curious.

I have the t2 on my 2011 5.7. I’m on a 91octane tune. After I selected that I used the customize option to turn off mds, increase throttle sensitivity to max(20), entered in my tire size, and shut off adaptive learning.

As far as transmission I did have it set to firm shift but my passengers whiplash when I gun it while I anticipate the shift so that’s off for now.

From my reading I wouldn’t mess with shift points or gearing unless you have changed diff or stall/torque converter.

Same goes for fuel and air. If you havnt upgraded to different heads or cam or something there’s no need to experiment.

After I install the 180 tstat I’ll probably change the fan settings.

here seems to be no clear path of how it is a-z. I’ve just picked things up from challenger forums searching various terms and on the Diablo sport forums.

the t2 is cool but unfortunately the HP tuner is where it’s at for proper tuning. There are some tuners out there that sell emailed tunes and if you data log and correspond then you can get it customized.

This is something I’m looking into doing around August.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
You used one of those smilies from here that I can't see...
I don't know if things are different for various users but I just tap on the smile icon at the bottom of the page and I see the various smilies available. Maybe it's with them and you missed it.
I don't think I have the 'eating popcorn' one that you use at times. I really like that one to emphasize that I'm waiting to see how things pan out.
Thanks!

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I think from what I have read that after 2012 the ECU's are locked. There was a "dry spell" for some time until some vendors were able to crack the code at unlocking. Other vendors offer ECU's compatible with their Tuners for tuning. Then there are vendors that offer "canned tunes" that work across various tuners.
I'm not sure, but I think I've also read somewhere that because of the uproar created by enthusiasts ECU's are coming out unlocked again. I think this is from the '18MY on.
I gather these snippets here and there, though I will not, and have not used tuners or any tunes since I just want to keep my Challenger stock and fairly original.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I don't know if things are different for various users but I just tap on the smile icon at the bottom of the page and I see the various smilies available. Maybe it's with them and you missed it.
I don't think I have the 'eating popcorn' one that you use at times. I really like that one to emphasize that I'm waiting to see how things pan out.
Thanks!
I know you didn't have it, because it's from the collection I have and I use all the time. I can make my own, but those have mostly been for my Dodge Ram. Most of the smilies here are not visible to me and never have been.

I think from what I have read that after 2012 the ECU's are locked. There was a "dry spell" for some time until some vendors were able to crack the code at unlocking. Other vendors offer ECU's compatible with their Tuners for tuning. Then there are vendors that offer "canned tunes" that work across various tuners.
I'm not sure, but I think I've also read somewhere that because of the uproar created by enthusiasts ECU's are coming out unlocked again. I think this is from the '18MY on.
I gather these snippets here and there, though I will not, and have not used tuners or any tunes since I just want to keep my Challenger stock and fairly original.
The 2015's and newer have locked PCM's. Mine is a 2014.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I know you didn't have it, because it's from the collection I have and I use all the time. I can make my own, but those have mostly been for my Dodge Ram. Most of the smilies here are not visible to me and never have been. View attachment 268563

The 2015's and newer have locked PCM's. Mine is a 2014.
Wow, you can make your own Smilies! Man that is so Cool!
So, for your '14 you can use a tuner? Just askin'.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Registered
209 Posts

Just to clarify, was the jumper from under the dash to the OBDII the only jumper you had to install, or did you also have to install the port in the trunk? (for the Diablo only..No Tazer)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to clarify, was the jumper from under the dash to the OBDII the only jumper you had to install, or did you also have to install the port in the trunk? (for the Diablo only..No Tazer)
The jumper from under that passenger side of the dash to the OBDII was the only one I had to install for the Diablo

I had to install another OBDII for the Tazer in the trunk (which is kinda nice because it's hidden next to the battery).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m sorry you got to run a jumper that sounds like a chore..

Are you running the available tunes with customizing options? I don’t wanna tell you something you already know but I’ll say it anyways for others who are curious.

I have the t2 on my 2011 5.7. I’m on a 91octane tune. After I selected that I used the customize option to turn off mds, increase throttle sensitivity to max(20), entered in my tire size, and shut off adaptive learning.

As far as transmission I did have it set to firm shift but my passengers whiplash when I gun it while I anticipate the shift so that’s off for now.

From my reading I wouldn’t mess with shift points or gearing unless you have changed diff or stall/torque converter.

Same goes for fuel and air. If you havnt upgraded to different heads or cam or something there’s no need to experiment.

After I install the 180 tstat I’ll probably change the fan settings.

here seems to be no clear path of how it is a-z. I’ve just picked things up from challenger forums searching various terms and on the Diablo sport forums.

the t2 is cool but unfortunately the HP tuner is where it’s at for proper tuning. There are some tuners out there that sell emailed tunes and if you data log and correspond then you can get it customized.

This is something I’m looking into doing around August.
Helped a lot actually! Much appreciated! I'm running the 91 as well on a "day-to-day". Because it's flipping January in Wisconsin, I haven't been able to really play around with the custom settings. Couple months to go....
Yes - I drive my 392 year round. I have a set of winters and it handles like a dream! Working from home has its perks as well, no need to drive as much (especially if the roads are a sloppy mess)

I'll have to check out that "adaptive learning" you mentioned. Knowing what all those damn gauges are would be nice too... LOL!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Following...

Reactions: boyohboy
1 - 20 of 20 Posts