Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the challenger cpu require a tune to take full advantage of bolt on parts such as exhaust, thottle body, intake tube and such. I am coming from a 13 mustang gt which a tuner was a requirement. I now have a 2014 rt shaker if that helps, and for now just looking to get the exhaust changed. Thanks.in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Yes a tune will help if you add parts. Mandatory for an exhaust change? Maybe not but it is if you put headers on.

·
12,989 Posts

·
SX=Modern Mopar Experts
3,961 Posts
Not needed for bolt on mods, but that said, and since you have a performance background, a tuner is one of the best investments you can make, even with a canned tune. Diablo is the way to go for this platform, two options the trinity or the Intune. If you happen to have a trinity from your mustang days it will work on your 2014 RT.

If you need one we carry both options, and we also offer custom email tunes as well!
Welcome to the Mopar family!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone. It.seems with these newer drive by wire cars that just a simple tune can be a night and day difference, it really made the mustang a different car from stock. As usual now the hard part is deciding how loud and how much faster I want to go. Thanks again.

Chris

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Diablo Sport has several tuners available. Consider finding a local performance shop that does dyno tuning (you will need a tuner). It costs a little more but you can always take it back to them as you add mods. It's also nice to develop that relationship if you need mods installed such as headers, a catback or coilovers. They get to know you and your car. My dyno tune gave me 25 hp and 40 ft/lbs torque - whole new car. My mods are in my signature.

I have a custom tune but I can return the car to the original tune if I have to take it to Dodge for work, which I do. I received a notice that the timing chain needs to be replaced. Even though my car is out of warranty my shop said to return the car to the original (stock) tune in case the dealer adds some updates. I can then return the car to the custom tune.

On a side note, (my opinion), the canned tunes that you get from Diablo or other tuner companies don't do much. Can't speak for the mail tunes some people do. Tuners do have some other nice features and advantages though so I recommend getting one.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I had my car on a dyno and they did a custom tune. It really didn't outperform a canned tune that I was using. It did bring the torque and horsepower curves a little sooner though. The more mods you make the more likely a custom tune will outperform the canned tunes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a local tuner, I am going to see him soon so we can talk about tuning this one. We don't always see eye to eye on everything but I will see what he has to say.

Chris

·
Registered
79 Posts
send me info for the custom tunes??

Not needed for bolt on mods, but that said, and since you have a performance background, a tuner is one of the best investments you can make, even with a canned tune. Diablo is the way to go for this platform, two options the trinity or the Intune. If you happen to have a trinity from your mustang days it will work on your 2014 RT.

If you need one we carry both options, and we also offer custom email tunes as well!
Welcome to the Mopar family!

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,771 Posts
Like said above, the canned tunes on a mostly stock vehicle don't do much, unless you have an auto trans you may not notice a difference.
The dyno tune is worth it IMO, the tech that tuned my car was able to free up an extra 19hp & 27 tq over the canned tune (this is with headers, exhaust, & throttlebody already installed).
If you install a wideband and have an empty stretch of un-partrolled road you can tune it yourself with the datalogger.

For basic bolt-ons like CAI or catback it isn't neccessary.

·
12,989 Posts
I had much better results too with a CMR tune over the 93CAI tune, I gained 17 HP and 33 TQE with a Cat Back, CAI, and 180 t'stat that were already installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts