Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrysler has recalled ALL of these parts from there dealers part number 82212511 This is a Sequentail turn signal kit there is a BIG problem with them Chrysler would not say what the problem is but it will not be offered anymore. Once all stock has been recovered it is NOT replaced by another part number. There is some dealers out there that has the kits but were told by Chrysler to ship them ALL back.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Well that's interesting. Wonder what the problem is?

Anybody having any problems with their sequentials?

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Remember all the folks who didn't want to take a chance on the WebElectric product and preferred to wait for the approved model from Mopar?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
oh goodie... i've got the Mopar sequential turn signals... :doh: "we're recalling all stock and going to discontinue selling them but we're not going to tell you why".

only things that come to my mind is electrical fires... :SHOCKED:

i'd sure like to know more about it...

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
SHAKER0016, do you have a link to that information or where did you hear it from?

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,056 Posts
Spoke with a friend in dealer parts department this morning. Verified the above part number was recalled. Nothing mentioned about problems with the kit. No reason given, just that no replacement kits would be available.--:4-dontknow:

Maybe the Chrysler engineers figured the sequential turn signals have something to do with re-call (Customer Satisfaction Notification) PO1.--:gy:

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Remember all the folks who didn't want to take a chance on the WebElectric product and preferred to wait for the approved model from Mopar?
What a pain in the wazoo! If I recall the MOPAR set up was $100 more than Web electric.:smiledown:
I hope everyone can get their money back..............

·
Registered
282 Posts
Concur on the price difference...thus I went with WE. Just received the kit a day or two ago...not installed yet.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Hmmmmm - have had the MOPAR kit installed for 2 years now. Not even a hint of any issue or problem. I think I will stick tight with it for right now until I learn more about what they are concerned about. If anyone hears anything, please post -thanks!

P.S. Update: a quick inform scan of a few sites seems to indicate wire rubbing/chaffing issues. A quote from one is:

"You will have to install a secondary wiring harness and route it thru the upper trunk lid on the passenger side. The problem here is the wiring harness will contact the sharp edges of the factory punched holes required for wire feed. This is a no brainer. After a few trunk open and close situations, the wires rub on the sharp edges and "short out". Now you have no brake lamps nor turn signal's. You need to install an anti-rub or chaff pad in this wiring drop area"

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
What a pain in the wazoo! If I recall the MOPAR set up was $100 more than Web electric.:smiledown:
I hope everyone can get their money back..............
yup! i wanted to keep my Mopar ALL Mopar... too bad it said MADE IN CHINA right on the box... so that was worth it... :shakehead: gotta keep the Chinese employed... and now look...RECALLED anyways! FML :4-looney:

Hmmmmm - have had the MOPAR kit installed for 2 years now. Not even a hint of any issue or problem. I think I will stick tight with it for right now until I learn more about what they are concerned about. If anyone hears anything, please post -thanks!

P.S. Update: a quick inform scan of a few sites seems to indicate wire rubbing/chaffing issues. A quote from one is:

"You will have to install a secondary wiring harness and route it thru the upper trunk lid on the passenger side. The problem here is the wiring harness will contact the sharp edges of the factory punched holes required for wire feed. This is a no brainer. After a few trunk open and close situations, the wires rub on the sharp edges and "short out". Now you have no brake lamps nor turn signal's. You need to install an anti-rub or chaff pad in this wiring drop area"
IF that's all it is is a chaffing concern, the WEB Electrics would most likely have the same issues of possibly shorting out... i'm thinking there is more to this story than they're telling us... but i definitely can see how shorted out, non working tail lights could be a hazard during the day and even more so at night time... stealth mode! maybe later this spring it wouldn't be a bad idea to look over the wiring and make sure it is still secured properly... i will probably wrap all the harness in anti-friction tape too as an extra precaution...

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Even though I have the liner covering the underside of the deck lid I used some corrugated plastic shield to cover the harness and left enough slack where it routes down by the hinge. I don't know why the WE system (or MOPAR) doesn't include it in the kit. I thought it was standard procedure to cover a wiring harness - especially where it is near a moving oblect. The 5' length I bought was only a couple bucks. JMO but those that want to keep the MOPAR set up will probably be OK, just be sure you don't have any wires chaffing anywhere.....and install some shielding around the harness.....that should go for any wiring done by the doiturselfers...........

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Even though I have the liner covering the underside of the deck lid I used some corrugated plastic shield to cover the harness and left enough slack where it routes down by the hinge. I don't know why the WE system (or MOPAR) doesn't include it in the kit. I thought it was standard procedure to cover a wiring harness - especially where it is near a moving oblect. The 5' length I bought was only a couple bucks. JMO but those that want to keep the MOPAR set up will probably be OK, just be sure you don't have any wires chaffing anywhere.....and install some shielding around the harness.....that should go for any wiring done by the doiturselfers...........
to be honest Jon, i can't remember if the Mopar kit came with an extra length of the protective plastic wire loom material or not... i'm thinking they may have wanted you to reuse the original factory stuff but if memory serves me right it isn't big enough (the diameter) because i think there is more wires now... i'm thinking i ended up finding some bigger stuff in my garage that i used underneath the trunk lid lining and wrapped it around the smaller factory tubing near where it goes behind the carpeting... i used new pine tree style wire fasteners where the old factory ones were... is this where they are suggesting the chaffing is taking place? i thought it may be more susceptible behind the tail lights lining... lots of edges and "cut outs" back there... :4-dontknow:

my install thread: http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83128

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I kind of assumed they were refering to the area around the hinge...It would be my first guess as to where a failure due to chaffing would occur. I also used plastic shielding for the run along the inside of the trunk behind the liner just to be safe.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow good thing I saw this thread. I just picked up my new R/T Shaker last Friday and ordered the MOPAR sequentials while at the dealer. I had traded in my 2010 R/T for the Shaker and that had the WE sequentials. I had problems with WE unit getting "stuck" and not flashing if you were sitting at light and the flasher was running for too long. This was an intermittent problem and happened once in a while. This is why I had ordered the MOPAR system. As soon as I am done typing this I am gonna call the parts dept and cancel the order.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yep, checked with the parts guy and he said they cancelled my order for the MOPAR sequentials yesterday. So now I need to get a refund 'cause they made me pay the full amount in advance. Of course they wont just credit back my debit card. They have go though this whole process with their finance dept to get approval to send me a refund check. Funny how I had to pay immediately before I had the part, but they can take weeks to get me the refund.............. Dealers suck.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Yep, checked with the parts guy and he said they cancelled my order for the MOPAR sequentials yesterday. So now I need to get a refund 'cause they made me pay the full amount in advance. Of course they wont just credit back my debit card. They have go though this whole process with their finance dept to get approval to send me a refund check. Funny how I had to pay immediately before I had the part, but they can take weeks to get me the refund.............. Dealers suck.
they need to hold onto it for a little while longer to collect the interest off it other wise they will lose money from all the paper work... just hold tight, they'll get it to you when they are ready! :i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
IF that's all it is is a chaffing concern, the WEB Electrics would most likely have the same issues of possibly shorting out... i'm thinking there is more to this story than they're telling us... but i definitely can see how shorted out, non working tail lights could be a hazard during the day and even more so at night time... stealth mode! maybe later this spring it wouldn't be a bad idea to look over the wiring and make sure it is still secured properly... i will probably wrap all the harness in anti-friction tape too as an extra precaution...
D - thats exactly what I did when I installed mine - I didnt think twice about it - its really a no brainer. Unless wires are run through a rubber or plastic grommet, I also wrap 'em, and some times I'll even run a bead of permatex around the the hole first and let it set.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I checked mine (from WE) and there seems to be plenty of cable where it won't really rub, when I installed mine I did zip tie them to the oem and them taped over it, I doubt that it'll ever rub.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts