Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the Magnussen S/Cs are well established, lately I have been seeing posts on Kenne Bells and Whipple S/Cs. My understanding is all are twin screw style huffers, so I am left wondering what is the diiference? For a 5.7L application, can anyone provide insight into what are the major differences and differentiation points that might steer one to select one over another?

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Well one difference is the Intercooler that each style has Right now I am waiting to see some results /testing and feedback on the Whipple . The pitch of the blades also makes a difference then there is personal preference , If whipple has no issues it would be my choice.

·
12,989 Posts
While the Magnussen S/Cs are well established, lately I have been seeing posts on Kenne Bells and Whipple S/Cs. My understanding is all are twin screw style huffers, so I am left wondering what is the diiference? For a 5.7L application, can anyone provide insight into what are the major differences and differentiation points that might steer one to select one over another?

Andres, maybe Williamsrt (Phil) will chime in on this one, i know he likes the
Maggies but im sure he would know the pros and cons with the other two.
The Whipple does seem to be very promising.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I ran a whipple/Kenne Bell type (Autorotor) on a Dodge Viper. It has a very efficient blade design that minimizes heating the air pumped into the engine. With low boost an intercooler is not needed however I did run W/M injection for added safety.

The downside...it sits on top of a hot engine which will heat the incoming air anyway. The other downside...if you are running a M/T car it will be a challenge to launch without spinning the tires. Full boost comes on quickly (under 2k rpms).

If I was to do this again a centrifugal S/C would be my choice. Intercooling is easy enough, no need to be concerned about clogged W/M jets or W/M mixing. Power comes on gradually making it easier to launch and its not affected by engine heat like the whipple design.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been watching and waiting myself. Seems like Arrington has had the most success with the tuning the whipple & Maggie ;but the procharger I-1 has me curious. Procharger claims cooler air temps and the new I-1 has a function where with a push of a button you can switch from sport/competition mode (10lbs boost) to touring mode (1lbs boost). The I-1 is not out for our cars yet but will be soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a '10 auto 5.7 stock car and have been researching options for a couple of years now. Points that I think are pertinent are noted below.
1.Kenne Bell is used by Mr Norms challengers
2. Kenne Bell is used by Shelby on the GT500 super snakes. Maybe completely different units?
3. Kenne Bell advertises a 9 lbs boost for their emission legal 5.7 tune
4. Twin screw seems a good idea with the auto tranny since launches can be controlled easier than manual.
5. Due to the fatter tq curve of the twin screw and the 5.7 rpm limit of 5700 I need all the average power I can get and would rather not have to spool up a centrifugal blower
6. Magnassun seems more properly sized for the stock motor at 2.2? L but I like the upgrade potential of the 2.9 L KB. I think Magn is coming out with a 2.9. L soon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also, the KB has throttle surge issues which require a part from Mr Norms to control the problem with daily driving (I'm told by my local speed shop who has installed several)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Mr norms has been dead for over a year now other than stickers for car so they are not an option.
The maggie - good power up to 600 rwhp. Very low IATs. factory tuning is 2nd to none and operates like a OEM supercharger, best manners of a PD style supercharger.

KB- good for more HP than the maggie. Very high IATs, some of the fastest challengers out there run them but tuning has been sketchy at best for the 5.7 cars.

Whipple- showing promise but cost is too high to make it worth using unless you just want to say you have a whipple.

Procharger/ Vortech- best bang for the buck. makes good power and very streetable due to it's boost to rpm range. 5.7 tunes have been sketchy in the past.

If it was used mostly on the street I would do the maggie for fun and dependability, if it was all out track i would do the procharger. JMO

Of course there is dual turbos which make great power but then again I think cost to HP is way too high.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts