U1418 speed/ABS sensor

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger Chassis - Suspension' started by mycampbell, Jun 18, 2017.

1. mycampbell

mycampbell Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Got a 2010 R/T , squiggles, ABS and ESP lights all on, code refers to says right side speed sensor, not sure front or rear, looked at rear and it looks different than any videos I have seen on changing them, both rear harnesses go into a plastic block and up into the trunk. Can't see where the connectors come apart, videos show a single connector for each, anybody else experience this ? Thanks and Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there !

2. jkelly16

jkelly16 The Bearded Wonder........ Administrator Moderator Forum Founder MOTY Winner! MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    I've changed a front one, there is a little stainless clip that holds the block in. I think on the rear it's just under the wheel liner. I believe the rear sensors are the same where the front are different on each side. Did you get your codes with an advanced scanner? If not, you'll want to do that so you can pinpoint which one is giving you the issue. I had 3 or 4 different codes stored.

3. mycampbell

mycampbell Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Thanks for the reply, it appears both rear ones go into a single junction block and then go through trunk floor,that's the one that I can't see any way to change front one is just behind inner fender and looks simpler, got code by doing the key cycle, it only showed the one code, called dealer with code, all they could tell me was right side, I do have a Diablo tuner. will that bring up a more specific code ?

4. jkelly16

jkelly16 The Bearded Wonder........ Administrator Moderator Forum Founder MOTY Winner! MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    No sir, you need one to read advanced codes. Tuners or standard readers won't pull them up. I'm pretty sure the clip is in the wheel well someplace, I know they route down towards the middle of the car.

5. FastMikeR1

FastMikeR1 Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Sometimes , just removing the wheel and clean the sensor with brake cleaner can do the job. If you have too much grease or dirt ,the sensor won't be able to read correctly. On my son's car, i had to change what it is called ''tone ring'' on both side (rear end) and now everything is working fine.

6. mycampbell

mycampbell Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    just dug into it a little bit, tried an ohms test across front sensor it says it is open, no continuity, figured out the wire clip deal, will get one of those coming, will look at the rear tomorrow night and measure that one, anybody got part numbers for these or where I might find it ? Thanks for the help guys !

7. jkelly16

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    I bought mine at the local auto parts house. I did not check mine for continuity since it's basically a magnetic pick up and may just read open even when it's working. Just relied on the codes that showed up to replace the bad one.

8. mycampbell

mycampbell Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Think I will swing by my local dodge dealer and pick up both right side, should have it covered that way and still cheaper than having the garage do it, thanks for the advice.

9. mycampbell

mycampbell Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Tried to remove front one and it seems stuck ?! Should pull straight out then twist but it does not want to come out and I don't want to force it and break it off, sprayed penetrant on it , will try it again later, am picking up new sensors today, hopefully I can resolve this soon, my car needs inspection and can't get it won't pass with the code and lights on dash !

10. jkelly16

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    You'll probably have to twist it back & forth once you remove the bolt while pulling on it, I had to. That fit is probably full of dirt & brake dust.

FastMikeR1 likes this.
  11. mycampbell

mycampbell Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I'd say your right, I had to carefully pry it out with a , just replaced both front and rear sensors, lights still on and no codes present on my Diablo, did a code reset anyway but no dice. Is there another way to reset this,pull a fuse possibly ? I did also notice that it turned over hard like a weak battery, has done this since I got it out of winter storage, I just hooked up the battery charger and will let it charge overnight, do you think this could possibly be related ?

12. jkelly16

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    TorRed
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    I'm not sure if disconnecting the battery will reset advanced codes and the Diablo (or regular scanners) can't read/clear them. Usually if the condition clears the lamps will go off on their own. Have you driven it any just to see if they will go off? Also a weak battery can cause all kinds of electrical gremlins. I bought a bluetooth device called BlueDriver that plugs into the OBD port that reads/clears all the codes through your phone, cost around $100 and you can download the app from the Playstore. I assume it also has one for the Iphone.

13. mycampbell

mycampbell Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Haven't driven it since replacing them , only started it up, will get it out after work today, thanks for all your input, greatly appreciated !

14. mycampbell

mycampbell Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Yep ! Had to drive it to get the light to go off!

jkelly16 likes this.